Sting’s Thumb.

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Quixotic

Sting’s Thumb.

Post by Quixotic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Full disclosure. I’m a guitar player who has played a little bass, but I am far from a true bassist. Huge fan of all the guys everyone is a fan of—Jaco, Stanley, Ron, James, Carol Kaye….

Anyhow, I was just watching a video of Vince Gill and Sting (CMT Crossroads) doing a Police song (I think it was the stalker song…what’s it called…Every Breath You Take?). And I was struck by how much Sting uses his left thumb on the fret board. Like, he did one entire section with his thumb ONLY. Sliding up and down like you might use a slide.

Is this a thing for bass cats? Or is it just a Sting thing?

Post by 955876 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 pm

He prolly used that thumb to jam into Gill’s bung hole before the show and realized after the fact he had some poo on it.

Was likely just trying to wipe it off.

I kid. Steelers shit show plus market decline today has me rummy for a Monday.

But Sting is known to be a pretty loose cat.

Talented musician however.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:41 pm

955876 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 pm
He prolly used that thumb to jam into Gill’s bung hole before the show and realized after the fact he had some poo on it.

Was likely just trying to wipe it off.

I kid. Steelers shit show plus market decline today has me rummy for a Monday.

But Sting is known to be a pretty loose cat.

Talented musician however.
Yeah. He has seemed to me to be a solid bass player. No Don Was. But solid. That’s why this apparently-unorthodox playing seemed odd.

Post by 955876 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 pm

My wife loves Sting. Not a huge fan personally myself.

I did take her to see the Police years ago.

Wasn’t close enough to stage to notice his thumb work however.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone use their thumb.

Guys like Steve Harris and Rudy Sarzo would flip their left hand and it facing down on the neck vs up but that was just gimmicky window dressing for show. No real purpose
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm
Full disclosure. I’m a guitar player who has played a little bass, but I am far from a true bassist. Huge fan of all the guys everyone is a fan of—Jaco, Stanley, Ron, James, Carol Kaye….

Anyhow, I was just watching a video of Vince Gill and Sting (CMT Crossroads) doing a Police song (I think it was the stalker song…what’s it called…Every Breath You Take?). And I was struck by how much Sting uses his left thumb on the fret board. Like, he did one entire section with his thumb ONLY. Sliding up and down like you might use a slide.

As far as I know, that is not a common thing for bass players to do. Stanley Clarke does it for certain moves, I believe. In fact, it sounds painful.

The only time either of my thumbs get in on the action is when I make sweet, sweet slap love with the synth pedal in full effect.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:40 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm
Quixotic wrote:

As far as I know, that is not a common thing for bass players to do. Stanley Clarke does it for certain moves, I believe. In fact, it sounds painful.

The only time either of my thumbs get in on the action is when I make sweet, sweet slap love with the synth pedal in full effect.
There are guitar techniques (Roy Buchanan springs to mind) that use the thumb over the top on the low E string. And there’s the Michael Hedges thing. But I’d never seen anything quite like this. I’ve seen Victor Wooten a LOT of times, and I’ve never seen him do anything like this (although I’ve seen him do things that defy physics).

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:40 pm
Quixotic wrote:

There are guitar techniques (Roy Buchanan springs to mind) that use the thumb over the top on the low E string. And there’s the Michael Hedges thing. But I’d never seen anything quite like this. I’ve seen Victor Wooten a LOT of times, and I’ve never seen him do anything like this (although I’ve seen him do things that defy physics).
Jimi Hendrix had huge hands. And a strat neck is very thin. He used to use his thumb as well.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:26 pm
Quixotic wrote:

Jimi Hendrix had huge hands. And a strat neck is very thin. He used to use his thumb as well.
Hendrix. Roy. Chet. I think Dan Tyminski. Probably Bryan Sutton. Maybe Ricky Skaggs. Almost certainly SRV. But what they did (if we’re talking about the same thing) was use their thumb for the E string and maybe the A string in a barred situation, to free the index finger. That’s not what sting was doing. Really, it looked like something a steel player might do with a slide. Except it was his thumb. And without a slide.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:02 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Quixotic wrote:

Hendrix. Roy. Chet. I think Dan Tyminski. Probably Bryan Sutton. Maybe Ricky Skaggs. Almost certainly SRV. But what they did (if we’re talking about the same thing) was use their thumb for the E string and maybe the A string in a barred situation, to free the index finger. That’s not what sting was doing. Really, it looked like something a steel player might do with a slide. Except it was his thumb. And without a slide.
I dunno. Frankly, he has bad technique, but I won't give him shit for that. Lots of accomplished players have bad technique, and mine isn't perfect either.* I think he's just lazy and uses it as a performance gimmick. It's easy on the wrist when you don't have to reach over to the E. Especially with low hanging instruments. I looked it up on youtube and it doesn't look like he's sliding, though.

*Full disclosure. I learned folk songs as a 7 year old, and then moved to classical, so I'm more into technique than others although I'm as lazy as the rest.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:59 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 pm

*Full disclosure. I learned folk songs as a 7 year old, and then moved to classical, so I'm more into technique than others although I'm as lazy as the rest.
Nice. I listen to classical guitar now and then and have a few on vinyl. Classical guitar playing is pretty damn amazing. In particular, I have on vinyl Kazuhito Yamashita's Pictures at an Exhibition. It's fucking BONKERS. Can't believe a human being can play guitar like that.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:46 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Quixotic wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I dunno. Frankly, he has bad technique, but I won't give him shit for that. Lots of accomplished players have bad technique, and mine isn't perfect either.* I think he's just lazy and uses it as a performance gimmick. It's easy on the wrist when you don't have to reach over to the E. Especially with low hanging instruments. I looked it up on youtube and it doesn't look like he's sliding, though.

I was a theory and composition major for three years as an undergraduate (before I got some sense). So I understand a LOT more music than I can play. I play a lot of instruments badly. Guitar less badly than others. And I totally get the lazy, whatever you have to do to get the sound, thing. Classical technique is hard. I have smallish hands, so the classical fret board feels about a mile wide to me. My sweet spot these days is blues with some jazz tricks on my telecaster.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 pm

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:59 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

Nice. I listen to classical guitar now and then and have a few on vinyl. Classical guitar playing is pretty damn amazing. In particular, I have on vinyl Kazuhito Yamashita's Pictures at an Exhibition. It's fucking BONKERS. Can't believe a human being can play guitar like that.
Get Segovia. ASAP, if you don't already have (I'm pretty certain you already do). Completely changed the guitar in classical music. Christopher Parkening isn't bad either. I don't know many current players, though. I stopped after about three years at the age of 14. Then I discovered girls like lead guitar players, and then it was over. Got a les paul silverburst. . .
Last edited by COR-TEN on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:46 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Quixotic wrote:

I was a theory and composition major for three years as an undergraduate (before I got some sense). So I understand a LOT more music than I can play. I play a lot of instruments badly. Guitar less badly than others. And I totally get the lazy, whatever you have to do to get the sound, thing. Classical technique is hard. I have smallish hands, so the classical fret board feels about a mile wide to me. My sweet spot these days is blues with some jazz tricks on my telecaster.
IIRC, we have a standing arrangement to play blues together sometime.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 pm
Quixotic wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:46 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

IIRC, we have a standing arrangement to play blues together sometime.
Yep. I’m there.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:29 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

Get Segovia. ASAP, if you don't already have (I'm pretty certain you already do). Completely changed the guitar in classical music. Christopher Parkening isn't bad either. I don't know many current players, though. I stopped after about three years at the age of 14. Then I discovered girls like lead guitar players, and then it was over. Got a les paul silverburst. . .
I in fact DON'T. Typing my way over to discogs presently....thanks!

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:29 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 pm

I in fact DON'T. Typing my way over to discogs presently....thanks!
Segovia is the man. As is Les Paul. You have a good pedigree!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic