Why not? 2022 Midterm elections

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Pabst

Re: Why not? 2022 Midterm elections

Post by Pabst » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:30 pm

cyberlaz wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:19 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:48 pm
Biden was just bragging about shutting down domestic oil production LAST WEEK.
I couldn't find anything on this...got a link?
First, I apologize. This wasn't last week, it was 2 days ago: https://nypost.com/2022/11/06/biden-cam ... ch-effort/
“No more drilling,” Biden snapped at a climate protester who was heckling him.

“There is no more drilling. I haven’t formed any new drilling,” Biden said.
If you'd like the full speech video, it's at the 49 minute mark here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?524078-1/ ... ochul-york#

Here's Biden saying he's going to shut down coal plants: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -politics/

Regardless of your opinion on the issue, that's an incredibly stupid thing to say a few days before a close Senate race in Pennsylvania.

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:37 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:33 pm
Not to pile on too much, but just to expand on some of the posts above:

You don't want to blame Biden for inflation? Fine, but then please explain why his admin was calling it "transitory" and claiming it would subside prior to the end of 2021.

You want to credit Biden for the Afghan withdrawal? Fine, but please explain why he said the Taliban was not a threat to take over the country.

You want to credit Biden for his handling of Putin/Ukraine? Fine, but then please explain why he lifted sanctions on Russia throughout 2021 and why Democrats filibustered a sanctions bill in January 2022.

A few other things:
- Why was this administration caught so off guard by the baby formula shortage?
- Why is this admin claiming "the border is secure" despite record numbers of illegal crossings?
- Why was Biden begging the Saudi's to increase oil production after calling them a "pariah state"?
No administration can see the future or is right 100% all of the time. I could go on for days I am sure about shit Trump got wrong like Covid will just disappear one day all by itself. He downplayed the severity when he knew it was a lot worse than he was letting on.

Are you talking about the Nordstream 2 pipeline sanctions?

I don't think anyone saw the baby formula shortage coming. The key here is how was it handled? There are always going to be unforeseen crisis but how they are handled I think is important.

Illegals crossing has increased but is that making us less secure? If so, how? You think these people are walking 1000s of miles just to come here and commit crime? I would guess some of them do but 99% are looking to survive and get a better life. If it is related to drug smuggling...drugs are getting into this country one way or another no matter how secure the border.

As for the Saudis, I think Biden was falling on his sword to get oil prices down. He's no dummy...high gas prices would hurt him in polls as well as other democrats. Any politician would do it. Trump did it too.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:50 pm

cyberlaz wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:37 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:33 pm
Not to pile on too much, but just to expand on some of the posts above:

You don't want to blame Biden for inflation? Fine, but then please explain why his admin was calling it "transitory" and claiming it would subside prior to the end of 2021.

You want to credit Biden for the Afghan withdrawal? Fine, but please explain why he said the Taliban was not a threat to take over the country.

You want to credit Biden for his handling of Putin/Ukraine? Fine, but then please explain why he lifted sanctions on Russia throughout 2021 and why Democrats filibustered a sanctions bill in January 2022.

A few other things:
- Why was this administration caught so off guard by the baby formula shortage?
- Why is this admin claiming "the border is secure" despite record numbers of illegal crossings?
- Why was Biden begging the Saudi's to increase oil production after calling them a "pariah state"?
No administration can see the future or is right 100% all of the time. I could go on for days I am sure about shit Trump got wrong like Covid will just disappear one day all by itself. He downplayed the severity when he knew it was a lot worse than he was letting on.

Are you talking about the Nordstream 2 pipeline sanctions?

I don't think anyone saw the baby formula shortage coming. The key here is how was it handled? There are always going to be unforeseen crisis but how they are handled I think is important.

Illegals crossing has increased but is that making us less secure? If so, how? You think these people are walking 1000s of miles just to come here and commit crime? I would guess some of them do but 99% are looking to survive and get a better life. If it is related to drug smuggling...drugs are getting into this country one way or another no matter how secure the border.

As for the Saudis, I think Biden was falling on his sword to get oil prices down. He's no dummy...high gas prices would hurt him in polls as well as other democrats. Any politician would do it. Trump did it too.
No kidding no one is 100% right all the time. But when you whiff on several major issues, it becomes a big deal. Take Afghanistan for example - not only did the country collapse shortly after the withdrawal, but the country collapsed so quickly that mountains of military equipment was left behind as well as US citizens and Afghan allies. Why did this happen? Did anyone in the chain of command face consequences? Any explanation of what went wrong? Nope.

And way to skirt the issue on just about everything I posted.

- You didn't even address the inflation question....which just so happens to be the #1 issue among voters. Why did they fuck up forecasts so badly and what are they doing to address it? Don't even think about claiming "its a global problem" - So was covid, and you had no problem blaming Trump for his response on that.
- Yes, i'm talking about Nordstream AND I'm talking about weapons sales to Ukraine.
- I don't care how many people are crossing the border - the Biden administration keeps saying it's secure. Why? Talk all you want about people coming here for a better life - border communities are overwhelmed (just ask the Democrat mayor of El Paso). This is a big part of why Hispanics are flipping red.
- Trump never called the Saudi's a "pariah state"
Last edited by Pabst on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:30 pm
cyberlaz wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:19 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:48 pm
Biden was just bragging about shutting down domestic oil production LAST WEEK.
I couldn't find anything on this...got a link?
First, I apologize. This wasn't last week, it was 2 days ago: https://nypost.com/2022/11/06/biden-cam ... ch-effort/
“No more drilling,” Biden snapped at a climate protester who was heckling him.

“There is no more drilling. I haven’t formed any new drilling,” Biden said.
If you'd like the full speech video, it's at the 49 minute mark here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?524078-1/ ... ochul-york#

Here's Biden saying he's going to shut down coal plants: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... -politics/

Regardless of your opinion on the issue, that's an incredibly stupid thing to say a few days before a close Senate race in Pennsylvania.
Well....he said no more drilling and not shutting down production. Note that no more drilling only applies to government owned lands...federal lands. Do you know how much US oil production comes from federally owned lands? 24%. 75% of US oil production comes from private property. 90% of oil production on land is private land. Now I am no mathematical genius but I would guess that if you increase domestic oil production, a good part of it is going to come from that 75%.

As for coal...coal sucks. Natural gas is way better and coal is doomed anyway. Trump said he was going to save coal and the market said no way. Coal production is tanking because everyone is moving away from using coal. But like you said...probably not the best thing to say to get votes.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:58 pm

cyberlaz wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 pm
Well....he said no more drilling and not shutting down production. Note that no more drilling only applies to government owned lands...federal lands. Do you know how much US oil production comes from federally owned lands? 24%. 75% of US oil production comes from private property. 90% of oil production on land is private land. Now I am no mathematical genius but I would guess that if you increase domestic oil production, a good part of it is going to come from that 75%.
Hi, this you?
There is very little the government can do to change oil prices other than releasing oil from the strategic reserve and opening up drilling
So Biden is against doing what you yourself suggested would lower oil prices. Thanks for that.

Oh, btw, add this one to the list: the GOP wanted to refill the strategic oil reserve in 2020 at a price of $30/barrell. Dems blocked it because "it was a bailout of big oil". Reserves are now at a 40 year low and oil is currently trading at $90/barrell. Oops.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:02 pm

I'm honestly amazed by cyberlaz's response here:

- Why were Democrats so off base on things like inflation, Afghanistan, Russia, oil, etc?

- Hey, come on. No one is perfect! Also, Trump!

If you're wondering why Dems are going to get routed at the polls tonight, there's your answer.

Post by 955876 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 pm

Swipe your card again and top it off...that's all you have to do.
Duh.

That isn’t the relevant point. I know how to get my tank full if I want to.

The point is, in 2019 $60 would fill the tank. Now, you can’t even fill it will $100.

So the real increase is north of $100.

That hits lower income people the hardest. They must choose between food or fuel. Heat the house or feed the kids.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:06 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:58 pm
cyberlaz wrote:
Hi, this you?
There is very little the government can do to change oil prices other than releasing oil from the strategic reserve and opening up drilling
Yeah...dat me. How did you get shutting down US oil production from no more drilling?

The point is that government can only control drilling on federal lands. 75% of US oil production comes from private property. So how is Biden going to "shutdown" oil production when he can't control 75% of it even though he said no more drilling?

Post by 955876 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:09 pm

He downplayed the severity when he knew it was a lot worse than he was letting on.
Ummm and so did the left.

You must have missed early on when he wanted to shut down travel into the country from China which caused the left to scream xenophobia.

Pelosi was out in SF’s Chinatown and telling people to come on out.

Placing Covid entirely at Trumps feet is ridiculous.

The bigger question is where did Covid come from and how to not let that shot happen again.

But nobody wants to look. I wonder why.

Hmmmm
Last edited by 955876 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:14 pm

cyberlaz wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:06 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:58 pm
cyberlaz wrote:
Hi, this you?
Yeah...dat me. How did you get shutting down US oil production from no more drilling?

The point is that government can only control drilling on federal lands. 75% of US oil production comes from private property. So how is Biden going to "shutdown" oil production when he can't control 75% of it even though he said no more drilling?
Energy production is an extremely capital intensive endeavor. When you are an energy company and you see YOUR GOVERNMENT blatantly saying they are going to put you out of business AND pressuring the financial sector to not lend to you (and the there is much more) that doesn’t exactly align with increasing domestic production now does it?

These companies need to know our government is an ally not an enemy.

They see Biden literally begging the Saudis and Venezuela to pump more oil while they are sitting there saying ummmm how about working with American producers to solve this issue??

It isn’t rocket science man.

You can’t say one hand you are going to kill the oil industry while at the same time be like derrrrr I don’t know why they aren’t drilling more.

We were energy independant. Now we are not. This admin did that.

Not Putin.
Last edited by 955876 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 pm

releasing oil from the strategic reserve
Real genius we have here.

Strategic Oil Reserve was nice and full and filled at very low prices.

Biden fucks things up and then has to release a shit load of oil which I. Reality is a very short term and not really effective fix.

Now we are at very low levels.

How and at what price does that get replenished?

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:14 pm

We were energy independant. Now we are not. This admin did that.

Not Putin.
We are still energy independent...primarily due to fracking not Trump.

US Energy Independence has grown

Post by 955876 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:39 pm

Ummm we can’t be energy independent if our ummm president (small p done on purpose) is begging other countries to increase production to help us all the while blaming Putin for the price increases.

Has Biden sat down one time with the heads of US energy companies to find a way to lower prices and increase production?

Nope.

And why would he since he’s promised his base (you) that he is going to out an end to fossil fuels.

Ya, Biden isn’t a problem here. Well I should correct that. Biden is actually just a puppet and not actually leading.

So I should say the progressive left is the problem. They are his master after all.

:roll:

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:49 am

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:50 pm
And way to skirt the issue on just about everything I posted.
Sorry dude...I didn't know I was obligated to answer all the questions some nameless and faceless person poses to me on an Internet message board especially when they are going to disparage me in later post about them all because they have a hard on for Joe Biden. :roll:

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:54 am

955876 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:39 pm
Ummm we can’t be energy independent if our ummm president (small p done on purpose) is begging other countries to increase production to help us all the while blaming Putin for the price increases.
Wait...what? You know Trump did the same thing, right?

So you said we were energy independent under Trump but we can't be under Biden because he asked the Saudis to increase oil production. Trump asked the Saudis too so that means we weren't energy independent under him either, right?

Trump asks Saudi to increase oil production

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:06 am

I can’t open that and not subscribing to the NYTimes. What was the date and what were the circumstances?

Fact remains, no matter how hard you want to twist this it doesn’t change that THIS administration is extremely anti US energy policy.

They’ve come right out and said point blank we are going to put you out of business.

What more needs to be debated here?

Our current admin has declared war on US energy produces while begging other countries to help us.

That is the reality.

Question is, why?

I mean I know, they are doing it to appease their progressive (and green) base.

But does it made sense? Is it sound policy for “we the people”.

Biden says we need to suck up these higher prices as we “transition” to green.

Hmmmm these idiots really have no plan at all. They are just attacking oil & gas producers while blowing smoke up their bases (you) ass.

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:23 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:06 am
I can’t open that and not subscribing to the NYTimes. What was the date and what were the circumstances?

Fact remains, no matter how hard you want to twist this it doesn’t change that THIS administration is extremely anti US energy policy.

They’ve come right out and said point blank we are going to put you out of business.

What more needs to be debated here?

Our current admin has declared war on US energy produces while begging other countries to help us.

That is the reality.

Question is, why?

I mean I know, they are doing it to appease their progressive (and green) base.

But does it made sense? Is it sound policy for “we the people”.

Biden says we need to suck up these higher prices as we “transition” to green.

Hmmmm these idiots really have no plan at all. They are just attacking oil & gas producers while blowing smoke up their bases (you) ass.
Here is another source for the story

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44669009

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 am

Did you bother reading it????

The reason he did that was because the US was putting sanctions on Iran along with applying pressure to our allies to not buy Irainian oil.

The lack of Iranian oil on the market was going to push prices up.

So yes, asked the Saudis to increase production to help offset that.

At the same time the US was also entering a period or RECORD production. The article was 2018.

2019 was a record year in terms of US energy production. So likely might have been at our own capacity given we’d never produced that much before.

You can’t take each as the same as the circumstances are different. Completely different. Not even in the same ballpark.

In that prior case, our actions to sanction Iran was going to take their oil off the market. That needed to get made up elsewhere and considering 2019 was a record year for us we might not have been able to at the time fill that entire void. Especially considering we were pumping more oil than ever.

That is MUCH different than declaring war on our own energy companies, blatantly saying you are going to put them out of business and then flying off to Saudi Arabia to get on your knees and beg them to pump more oil.

All that article did was prove my point.

And that you don’t understand the topics you are arguing.

I mean, you actually said earlier here “has that made us less safe” when talking about the massive invasion occurring on the southern border.

Ummm ya it has. Duh.

We have RECORD number of drug overdose occurring in this country. At the same time we have record numbers pouring across the southern border. Those two things go hand in hand.
Last edited by 955876 on Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:28 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 am

The reason he did that was because the US was putting sanctions on Iran along with applying pressure to our allies to not buy Irainian oil.

At the same time the US was also entering a period or RECORD production. The article was 2018.

2019 was a record year in terms of US energy production.

You can’t take each as the same as the circumstances are different.

In that case, our actions to sanction Iran was going to take their oil off the market. That needed to get made up elsewhere and considering 2019 was a record year for us we might not have been able to at the time fill that entire void. Especially considering we were pumping more oil than ever.

That is MUCH different than declaring war on our own energy companies, blatantly saying you are going to put them out of business and then flying off to Saudi Arabia to get on your knees and beg them to pump more oil.

Yes I did read the article.

Trump withdrew the US from the 2015 nuclear deal for whatever reason. I can't remember exactly why and that whole nuclear deal is probably a whole other mega thread.

The point is he reimposed the sanctions on Iran and had to make up for the lost oil due to the sanctions. So he asked the Saudis to make up the difference.

Biden wants to move the country away from fossil fuels which is a good idea but it ain't going to happen overnight either.

This article gives a good overview of what is going on...

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/0 ... l-00064251

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:49 am

I don’t want the earth to become Venus. Oil independence or dependence, both are sub mentally retarded.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:58 am

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:49 am
I don’t want the earth to become Venus. Oil independence or dependence, both are sub mentally retarded.
Do you even know if mining for all the rare earth minerals needed to go all electric is better for the earth then drilling for oil and natural gas?

Natural gas btw is very clean biding and efficient.

Going “green” is a racket. I say that because it isn’t about the best solution but about grandstanding.

News flash. Mining for all the rare earth minerals needed to create all of these batteries and fuel cells is very damaging g to the environment.

Not to mention most done in areas China controls. So we enrich them while we become more and more dependent on them.

A
Great plan.

But hey, we can pretend we are doing something good for the planet.

Nevermind the actual results.

My guess, we will fix one problem while creating a bigger problem.

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:02 am

cyberlaz wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:28 am
955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 am

2019 was a record year in terms of US energy production.

You can’t take each as the same as the circumstances are different.

In that case, our actions to sanction Iran was going to take their oil off the market. That needed to get made up elsewhere and considering 2019 was a record year for us we might not have been able to at the time fill that entire void. Especially considering we were pumping more oil than ever.

Yes I did read the article.

Trump withdrew the US from the 2015 nuclear deal for whatever reason. I can't remember exactly why and that whole nuclear deal is probably a whole other mega thread.

The point is he reimposed the sanctions on Iran and had to make up for the lost oil due to the sanctions. So he asked the Saudis to make up the difference.

Biden wants to move the country away from fossil fuels which is a good idea but it ain't going to happen overnight either.

This article gives a good overview of what is going on...

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/0 ... l-00064251
Articles and stats can be used to paint whatever picture you want.

The article did say this…
And U.S. oil production still lags below the all-time high it reached under Trump,
So if that is the case, why the fuck is Biden begging other countries to pump more oil instead of filing that void with American providers?

Again, you link an article that supports my argument.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:06 am

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:13 pm
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:06 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:05 pm

So is electing a local official to a higher federal office akin to firing? Even if a senator or US representative can’t do anything really about local crime they certainly have a higher profile and louder voice to influence matters at home, do you not agree?
Not really. Sure, a Senator can speak out, but if my mayor is in the opposing party and has a solid base, my mayor will give the Senator a middle finger.

It’s a messaging ploy plain and simple.
You're missing the point, though. Fetterman and Barnes *did* advocate for these policies at the state level, and now they're asking for a promotion. That's what Pro and I are getting at - you can't just discount past positions.

Whether or not you want to place any stock in it is your choice, but the line of attack is 100% valid.
Promotion to a role that has very little impact on crime at local levels. Does it speak to judgment? Sure.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:08 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:58 am
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:49 am
Do you even know if mining for all the rare earth minerals needed to go all electric is better for the earth then drilling for oil and natural gas?

Natural gas btw is very clean biding and efficient.

Going “green” is a racket. I say that because it isn’t about the best solution but about grandstanding.

News flash. Mining for all the rare earth minerals needed to create all of these batteries and fuel cells is very damaging g to the environment.

Not to mention most done in areas China controls. So we enrich them while we become more and more dependent on them.

A
Great plan.

But hey, we can pretend we are doing something good for the planet.

Nevermind the actual results.

My guess, we will fix one problem while creating a bigger problem.
“We” are going to be fucked unless we get serious. The motion we should do nothing if China doesn’t shake up is lunacy.

Titanic is sinking. Unless Joe starts bailing waters there’s no reason for me to.

Ok.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Pretty obvious takeaway from last night: Trump is toxic with voters. Trump endorsed candidates underperformed (badly) in several states.....PA and AZ in particular. Meanwhile, Sunnunu and Kemp both cruised to reelection in swing states.

DeSantis won reelection by 20 in Florida. Anyone with a functioning brain can see he should be the pick in 2024. Sadly, too many people would rather placate an the ego of an 80 year old billionaire.

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:15 pm

The motion we should do nothing if China doesn’t shake up is lunacy.
Didn’t say we should do nothing.

But we shouldn’t be doing dumb ineffective things either just for the purpose of window dressing.

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:17 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 pm
Pretty obvious takeaway from last night: Trump is toxic with voters. Trump endorsed candidates underperformed (badly) in several states.....PA and AZ in particular. Meanwhile, Sunnunu and Kemp both cruised to reelection in swing states.

DeSantis won reelection by 20 in Florida. Anyone with a functioning brain can see he should be the pick in 2024. Sadly, too many people would rather placate an the ego of an 80 year old billionaire.
This x1000

I wish Trump wouldn’t run. It muddies the waters.

Give me Desantis and one of the up and coming women as VP.

Show heels up how it’s should be done.

Has there been a worse VP than the current cackling idiot?

Better question, did she get her current gig the same way she got her others?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:36 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:17 pm
Pabst wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:06 pm

This x1000

I wish Trump wouldn’t run. It muddies the waters.

Give me Desantis and one of the up and coming women as VP.

Show heels up how it’s should be done.

Has there been a worse VP than the current cackling idiot?

Better question, did she get her current gig the same way she got her others?

We'll see what happens.

This part is fact, however: Trump hand picked a bunch of candidates in key races. Trump spent next to nothing from his enormous war chest to support those candidates. Before the ink is even dry on the ballots, Trump is already throwing those candidates under the bus. At the same time, Trump was picking fights with guys like Brian Kemp and Ron DeSantis, who both won in blowouts.

This is the third election in a row that Trump has been slapped down on election day. You'd think GOP leadership would get the memo by now.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:46 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:15 pm

But we shouldn’t be doing dumb ineffective things either just for the purpose of window dressing.
Oh, I agree totally. But I am SUPER DUPER pessimistic Americans have any stomach to do what needs to be done.

Climate change is way down the list for the majority. In 25 years, the planet is going to be a total shit show. All I see is short-term thinking and apathy masked as moderation.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:44 pm

Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:46 pm
955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:15 pm

Oh, I agree totally. But I am SUPER DUPER pessimistic Americans have any stomach to do what needs to be done.

Climate change is way down the list for the majority. In 25 years, the planet is going to be a total shit show. All I see is short-term thinking and apathy masked as moderation.
Two things. Take them for whatever its worth.

1. "In 25 years, the planet is going to be a total shit show" <--- My issue with this statement is that I was hearing the exact same thing 25 years ago. This is a big reason why there's so much apathy. You can only predict doom/gloom for so long before people start tuning it out.

2. Many people (correctly) view green policy as a Trojan horse to enact a bunch of left wing policies. An egregious example is the inclusion of a minimum wage hike in the Green New Deal. A more recent example was the Democrat push to include an extra $4500 tax credit for union-made electric cars. An even more recent example is climate wunderkid Greta Thornberg calling for the downfall of the Capitalist system.

My (completely useless) advice would be this: Stop with the all-or-nothing / "we're all gonna die!" approach to environmental issues. Take more incremental steps. For example: Natural Gas derived from fracking is a shitload better than burning coal. Nuclear is way more efficient method of power than solar or wind (I know we agree here).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic