Your favorite band sucks and is really a magic act

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Dan Smith--BYU

Your favorite band sucks and is really a magic act

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6DbH-X-L0

Seeing a live show of a classic band is seeing a cover band and lip synching.

Don Henley has always been a piece of shit, and the Dude abides with my assessment.

When Elvis Costello was inducted into the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame, a reporter suggested there were too many musicians in the Hall of Fame. Elvis said, “well if it’s too full, I’d be happy to leave. As long as Mr. Henley comes with me.”

More reasons to see jazz live at small venues.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

langer

Post by langer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:44 pm

99% of the geezers out there don't give a rip if Magic Don is singing or not. They want to get drunk and sing COLITAS RISING UP IN THE AIR.

I saw KISS a couple years ago for the first time, and probably some of the singing was reinforced, but it was a fun show, and people were having a good time.

It's all about a good time man.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:45 pm

Yeah, vintage rock and roll is pretty much WWE and no one really cares if its fixed.

But Don Henley is and always has been a greedy piece of shit.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:46 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:45 pm
Yeah, vintage rock and roll is pretty much WWE and no one really cares if its fixed.
I recently broke out Southern Harmony and Amorica because they put out a new album. Those boys in the Crowes could play. Didn't like what followed, but Warpaint, Frost, and the new album they just put out all slap. Chris Robinson's voice has def aged, but he's 100% rock and roll.

Listening to Chet Baker Trio Live From The Moonlight right now.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

langer

Post by langer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:52 pm

I saw Fleetwood Mac 5-6 years ago, the last tour when they were together. Mick was playing very well, Lindsay was giving maximum effort and the vocals were really good. I don't think they were using tracks, maybe some filler.

But once a person gets to a certain age, the voice changes. To get a consistent sound and not have to cancel shows because the singer's voice is off is important, more important than whether or not they are singing live.

I also saw the Stones in Ford Field...there's no way I could tell if Mick was actually singing or not. Pretty sure he was, but the stage was gigantic and he was a little speck.

The shed lineups this year are really lacking in classic rock, the new music industry is upon us. I also notice more tributes are coming around. They sell tickets.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:12 pm

Beautiful voices are like beautiful faces...there is an expiration date.

Joni Mitchell is performing again...nothing she can do at this point will make it as special as the 1980 Shadows and Light tour with Jaco and Pat Metheny and Michael Brecker...that was of a time that will never come back.

Should she pipe in her old voice untainted by age and cigarettes? She wouldn't do that but her new voice is lower and gravelly.

I am out either way. I think a tribute Joni would be more enjoyable.

Sinatra in 1980 or so was far from what he was but still better than 95% of singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBba77U1_Y

Damn, that bass and that sax, has there ever been better backup?

All bands eventually become cover bands. I think there have been about fifty Temptations.

The Allmans are gone but their coaching tree produced some gems like Trucks Tedeschi and Govt Mule. Southern Rockers are some of the best musicians.

Nietzsche

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:17 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:12 pm
Beautiful voices are like beautiful faces...there is an expiration date.

Joni Mitchell is performing again...nothing she can do at this point will make it as special as the 1980 Shadows and Light tour with Jaco and Pat Metheny and Michael Brecker...that was of a time that will never come back.

Should she pipe in her old voice untainted by age and cigarettes? She wouldn't do that but her new voice is lower and gravelly.

I am out either way. I think a tribute Joni would be more enjoyable.

Sinatra in 1980 or so was far from what he was but still better than 95% of singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBba77U1_Y

Damn, that bass and that sax, has there ever been better backup?

All bands eventually become cover bands. I think there have been about fifty Temptations.

The Allmans are gone but their coaching tree produced some gems like Trucks Tedeschi and Govt Mule. Southern Rockers are some of the best musicians.
Gotta ask Dan, have you ever listened to or gone through a Black Crowes phase or were a bit too old to ride that wave?
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 pm

I like the BC and consider them heirs to 70s Southern Rock tradition. They partially filled the gap after Allmans faded and Skynyrd and SRV died.

Nietzsche

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:27 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 pm
I like the BC and consider them heirs to 70s Southern Rock tradition. They partially filled the gap after Allmans faded and Skynyrd and SRV died.
I have friends that make fun of me for being into them, but they were a huge part of high school for me.

I still remember being totally bug-eyed the first time I heard SRV—it was his cover of the Sky Is Crying. The (VERY GOOD) guitar player in the band I was in in high school was all up SRV's ass and we'd cover some of his tunes.

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:37 pm

It sounds like SRV plays 3 notes in the entire song -- including one 1-note solo -- on Bowie's Let's Dance ... and it's perfect!

Any more would be too much 8-)

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:23 pm

More re: SRV on Let's Dance from a youtube comment on the official video ...
In an interview with a guitar magazine, SRV said that he was blown away by Bowie's star status and couldn't feel the song, and was thinking, "what am I gonna do?" and so he thought, "I know, I'll play some Albert King licks, Albert King goes with anything!" And so when Bowie heard it, he loved it, and said it was just what he was looking for.

And then "Let's Dance" became a big hit, and Albert King was listening, and he was thinking, "Who's this young guy, making a big hit record playin' my shit?" And the next time SRV saw Albert King, he copped to it. That was the start of his brilliant career.

langer

Post by langer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:39 pm

I saw Govt Mule do Dark Side and the entire show was a borefest, it bummed me out. Not much in the way of snap or crackle, just plodding along.

Not like the Melvin Seals and JGB show I caught at the Capitol a couple weeks ago. They have some fire.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic