The Juice

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

The Juice

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:23 am

2) Jalen Reagor 5’11 195 WR TCU- I tried. I really did. But I can’t help myself. This year’s crop of WRs is just too good to pass up. The Steelers’ WR group desperately needs a shot of juice and this kid brings it. Holy shit fast dude. Again, don’t discount Tomlin’s love of NFL pedigree. Jalen here is the son of former NFL defensive lineman Montae Reagor who had 8 productive NFL seasons before a serious car crash derailed his career.

3C) O.J. Howard 6’6 251 TE Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Ben’s bionic elbow has some weapons now, boys. Adding a MUCH needed shot of juice to the TE position. Offering Uncle Bruce the AB package.A 3rd and next year’s 5th for my guy Otarris Jabari Howard. My hope is Minkah’s former ‘Bama teammate has a similar impact for the offense that the trade for Fitzpatrick had for the defense.

4T) Leki Fotu 6’5 335 DT Utah- Wouldn't it be great if the Steelers found a way to sign Bud AND Hargrave? Well forget it. Hargrave just signed with Drew Rosenhaus. He's gone. Anyway, I’ll keep mocking the same names at NT until y’all offer up someone new. Clearly I'm stumped and have some serious tunnel vision here.

4) Tyre Phillips 6’5 345 OL Mississippi St- BIG, MEAN, NASTY ‘sum bitch was the Bulldogs starting left tackle last season. POWERFUL people mover who will likely transition inside.

6) Javon Leake 6’0 206 RB Maryland- PLAYMAKER. Won Big Ten Return Man of the Year Award. Not only will he add MUCH needed shot of juice to the backfield, I’ll betcha this kid becomes the outright starter. “Bold men make bold statements.”- Master P.

7.) Azur Kamara 6’4 236 EDGE Kansas- Senior Bowl Director Jim Nagy (What a sweet gig this dude has) raved about this kid’s hustle and ability to chase down in Mobile. Boasting 35 ¼ inch arms and an 81 5/8 wingspan this late round dart throw could be fast riser post combine.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. I know a trade for an impact hole filler like OJ Howard is a longshot, but Colbert has proven bold of late, perhaps he's got one more big trade up his sleeve.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:32 am

It's not just you that's stumped on NT/DTs. It's not a good draft class, outside of the two monsters in the first 15 picks.

It's even worse for a team looking to draft a plug and play starter. I see a handful who can be built into something good or good enough, but there aren't too many who are ready to go, even in a limited role.

Fotu's like a version of Big Dan. Not going to get a lot of penetration, unless he gets a matchup he can overpower. Hamilton has a long way to go in the run game. Put the two of them together, and you'd have something.

The whole class after pick 15 is like shopping at the irregular discount outlet. Too short, too small, too weak in the butt, too raw, not enough motor, all motor and not enough skill.

And then there's Raekwon Davis, who is an enigma, not unlike Ra'Shede Hageman. He's huge, he has dominated at times, and the end of his college career didn't exactly fade, but it certainly seemed to plateau. Does that mean he missed his coach? Did he stop working? Is this just as good as he gets? It won't shock me if he falls to 49, and it won't shock me if the Steelers pick him there but he is far, far from a sure thing, even though he looks the part on paper and passes the eye test.

Perhaps my favorite guy is a smaller school guy who definitely is not ready for prime time and has flashes of all of the faults listed above.

In short: it's a really bad year to need an 0 tech/1 tech starter if you don't have a top 15 pick AND it's a horrible year to try to match the deal Hargrave is going to get. This is quickly becoming the most significant problem the Steelers face. I'm wondering if they might just start Alualu or re-sign Big Dan to start and rotate Buggs in when they want more speed/penetration. Not sure what other options are available.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

The whole class after pick 15 is like shopping at the irregular discount outlet. Too short, too small, too weak in the butt, too raw, not enough motor, all motor and not enough skill.
I totally agree. I still like Hamilton and Gallimore but neither is an instant starter
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:09 am

I agree with getting a solid WR in a deep draft and as a dl i like Davis from NEB

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:09 am
I agree with getting a solid WR in a deep draft and as a dl i like Davis from NEB
Which one? Khalil Davis showed well at Shrine, but he's small and has zero length compared to where the NFL is heading. 6010 and 31" arms. His brother Carlos is a little bigger but didn't play as well there. But Didn't Carlos play ahead of Khalil at Nebraska?

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Here’s a question I need answered. Assuming that the league agrees to the new CBA before free agency starts, wouldn't the 30% rule and the last year league rules go away? And if that’s the case, wouldn’t we be able to restructure to the max Big Ben and several others to free up cap space? If that’s the case you can save $10M by restructuring Ben, extend Heyward, and still cut the dead weight in Chickillo, Barron, and McDonald.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 pm

I believe that’s correct... but I’m less optimistic now about that happening than I was a month ago. At one time it sounded close; now not sure.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 pm
I believe that’s correct... but I’m less optimistic now about that happening than I was a month ago. At one time it sounded close; now not sure.
So where are you hearing that from? Because the Steelers offseason literally hangs in the balance on whether the new CBA is passed or not.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:59 pm

There was word with one of the NFL beat guys about two months ago that they were close on a deal. Then since Super Bowl, a couple of tidbits about holdups on the 17 game thing and 5th year options that seem floated to see how players would react.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:12 am

see some news on the steelers depot

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:13 am

Yes Carlos played a bit more and think he the kid with more upside.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:43 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:59 pm
There was word with one of the NFL beat guys about two months ago that they were close on a deal. Then since Super Bowl, a couple of tidbits about holdups on the 17 game thing and 5th year options that seem floated to see how players would react.
Now reports are there could be an agreement within the next week or so. We shall see

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:03 pm

smithessmokin wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 pm
So where are you hearing that from? Because the Steelers offseason literally hangs in the balance on whether the new CBA is passed or not.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/287 ... ssion=true

Schefter has been tweeting out details for a few days now.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:03 pm

They’re saying it’s very tenuous but both sides aiming for a ratified agreement by start of league year, March 18.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:31 pm

Text from League Executive on current CBA Negotiation... “At this point only 2 people could screw up an agreement. Richard Sherman & Russell Okung. Everyone involved recognizes Owners have the leverage and are winning the negotiation. Okung & Richard are the most vocal.”
— Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) February 20, 2020

- Fred Sanford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic