The QB elephant in the room

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
VeritasSteel

The QB elephant in the room

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 pm

I have been drinking some Angels Envy Sherry Cask, so either get something to drink or have a bit of empathy.

Cam Newton was released today. And the way it was done is kind of a dick move by the franchise in that they did it after the market was over. There might have been financial reasons. The only reason I bring up that later point is there are no starting jobs for either him or Jameis Winston now and in my opinion one of those guys should be in Pittsburgh. Our backup QBs are terrible, no matter how you slice it. The only thing keeping us out of the playoffs was that position.

I could make a case for Jameis being here namely

30 TDs
5100 yards
System familiarity ( even though Arians left they kept most of the same terminology to keep Ben from revolting
He's on the right side of 30

Before we get to the interceptions he did have Lazik surgery a few weeks ago. Apparently if they did Major League for football he'd be Wild Thing.

So your unknown is this- was it the eyes or does he have a problem that could be fixed with experienced coaching and mentoring?

The Case for Cam

9 years in the league
Good arm and a big body that adds an element to the offense
Former MVP and Super Bowl participant
Can read defenses and doesnt make the huge mistakes

The accuracy could use some work

But that foot? The positive is he would be willing to sit and learn the system in order to get it right
He is on the wrong side of 30.

The case for standing pat would be price. I don't see what we have now as anything other than a way to pick in the top ten.

If I was the GM, I'd get Winston. I think Cam is great but at most he's here for 5 years. If Winston can learn restraint and his eye sight was the cause of his problems- he could be a successful ten year player.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 pm

I think both of those guys want to be a starter.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Right CorTen and one of them will likely be in New England before too long. Hoyer isn't really going to be their season starting QB. Anyone who thinks that is drinking more Angel's Envy than Veritas has.

By the way, A really, REALLY good Bourbon. I myself am working on a 750 of '4 Roses' and let me tell you, the 104 proof is smooth as silk. 🥴
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm

I think Newton is physically done. He looks completely different throwing the football now then when he came into the league. Maybe he can get it back, but I doubt it.

Winston would be interesting, especially post-Lasik, but I doubt he wants to come in as a backup and to be paid for what little cap room we have left. Gotta think someone will want to take a chance on him as a starter.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 pm
By the way, A really, REALLY good Bourbon. I myself am working on a 750 of '4 Roses' and let me tell you, the 104 proof is smooth as silk. 🥴
Unfortunately, most liquor stores around me are closed. But 104 proof and smooth? Is that on ice with an orange peel and a squirt of water? I'll have to look that up online.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Post by 955876 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm

The better the bourbon, especially the higher proof stuff from the better distilleries which also tends to be harder to come by should NOT be mixed with much of anything other than maaaaaaybe a couple drops of water.

Even then I’d say to simply have a glass of ice water handy to sip if you need to cool the burn while sipping that whiskey neat.

You’ll ruin it.

Save your orange peels etc for making a cocktail with a more run of the mill bourbon.

Small batch, single barrel, cask strength stuff from the top distilleries is (1) hard to come by and (2) too good as is to mess with.

Sip it neat and cool it off by taking a few sips of water from a separate glass.

Learn to drink your exceptional whiskeys this way and you’ll thank me later.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 pm

Winston will prob be the lead man

Scam is a broken down bucket of mush

Bad mechanics bad bones. Retire already
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 pm

If I remember correctly, I'm about ten years older. That means ten more years of sipping bourbon, whiskey, and scotch. Of all kinds.

I've been there done that, so I don't need any advice on how to consume my alcohol. I don't need to thank anybody for something I knew 30 years ago.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Right CorTen and one of them will likely be in New England before too long. Hoyer isn't really going to be their season starting QB. Anyone who thinks that is drinking more Angel's Envy than Veritas has.

I just don’t think Cam is right yet or he’d still be in Carolina. I think he needs about 3 or 4 months to actually get that foot right.

I’ve heard good things about 4 Roses and it came down to that and Angels when I was making my previsional 2 week purchase. I got Monkey Shoulder for my birthday and became a fan.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 pm
If I remember correctly, I'm about ten years older. That means ten more years of sipping bourbon, whiskey, and scotch. Of all kinds.

I've been there done that, so I don't need any advice on how to consume my alcohol. I don't need to thank anybody for something I knew 30 years ago.
On topic there are no starting jobs, those got snapped up a week ago.

As for liquor, I respect a mans right to have his liquor the way he wants it- unless he’s putting juice in good brown liquor. Myself, I need a drop or two of water. But this guy helped me develop a nose for it by appreciating the approach more

[youtube] https://youtu.be/frRonhQdRdQ [/youtube]
Last edited by VeritasSteel on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Monkey Shoulder is good stuff. Recommended to me by my local Liquor store guy.

But drinking dark liquor neat is totally dependent on the quality of the alcohol. Artisanal or not, some still need tempering. But I'll take Oban and the smoke neat any day.
Last edited by COR-TEN on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm

You are the guy acting like 104 proof needs an ice ball, orange slice, and splash of water to make it “smooth” so don’t get your panties in a bunch over the suggestion.

For all I know your an appletini sippin metro.

I was having a 129 proof George T. Stagg a few weeks back actually. Now that was an ass kicker. Figured an ice ball would cool it off nicely.

Literally ruined was was already a very good (and quite expensive) pour of whiskey.

Anyone that has ever served white wine too cold will know what I mean. The character gets lost. Same happened in spades with the Stagg/ice ball combo. The guy that owns the place where I was having that drink about toppled over when he saw what I had done. He knew.

I ended up ordering it again a few days later. This time with a glass of ice water for sipping on the side. Much much better experience.

And you can’t even talk whiskey without turning into a pissy little cunt.

No reason to get all bent out of shape over a simple suggestion. Geeesh.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Then stop being so goddamn condescending. You'll thank me later.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm
You are the guy acting like 104 proof needs an ice ball, orange slice, and splash of water to make it “smooth” so don’t get your panties in a bunch over the suggestion.

I was having a 129 proof George T. Stagg a few weeks back actually. Now that was an ass kicker. Figured an ice ball would cool it off nicely.

Literally ruined was was already a very good (and quite expensive) pour of whiskey.

Anyone that has ever served white wine too cold will know what I mean. The character gets lost. Same happened in spades with the Stagg/ice ball combo. The guy that owns the place where I was having that drink about toppled over when he saw what I had done. He knew.

I ended up ordering it again a few days later. This time with a glass of ice water for sipping on the side. Much much better experience.

I see where you’re going with that. Here’s an old bartender cheap bourbon trick take a mason jar fill it with marginal bourbon then pour some bacon fat it it. Put it in the fridge and come back the next day and take the fat cap off and strain it. Now add your orange and some maple syrup, bitters and bam you got a breakfast old fashioned

Post by 955876 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Monkey Shoulder is good stuff. Recommended to me by my local Liquor store guy.

But drinking dark liquor neat is totally dependent on the quality of the alcohol. Artisanal or not, some still need tempering. But I'll take Oban and the smoke neat any day.
Monkey Shoulder is good. But also is what it is. It’s a better low end blended Speyside scotch that is great for mixing or throwing an orange peel in. Not something I’d grab when sipping scotch.

And hells bells. Something you and I agree on. The apocalypse must be near.

And I’m referring to the Oban. Very good highland. For me scotch needs to have the smoke. Which is why I tend to gravitate toward the Islay whiskies but Oban is very good also.

While not a a big Johnnie Walker fan, they came out with something called the ghost & rare. Have only released two different ones thus far.

Last was the Johnnie Walker Blue Ghost & Rare Port Ellen edition.

Port Ellen was an Islay distillery that closed back in like 83. It’s blended with a couple other since closed (ghost) distilleries along with rare barrels from current distilleries.

Very nice drink. Good smoke but not huge peat like you get from a Laphroaig or Ardbeg. I prefer Lagavulin to those two. To me with the Lagavulin you get smoke then pear whereas the Laphroaig gives me peat then smoke.

Post by 955876 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 pm

CORE-TEN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 pm
Could it be you were also being a wee bit defensive? Not everyone is a whiskey drinker. And many haven’t gotten to the point where they sip it neat. Shit, I spent years thinking a Jack & Coke was a good drink.

So my post wasn’t just to you individually but more so a post to all that are reading. It’s helpful. Might save some guy years of drinking crap or worse, ruining good drink.

I saw a guy in the bar just the other day order a nice scotch and wanted it on the rocks. Ok fine.

But then.... said ya, with coke too.

My post was trying to save that guy from himself, not a condescending attack directed at you. I dont wish argue.

Post by 955876 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 pm
955876 wrote:

I see where you’re going with that. Here’s an old bartender cheap bourbon trick take a mason jar fill it with marginal bourbon then pour some bacon fat it it. Put it in the fridge and come back the next day and take the fat cap off and strain it. Now add your orange and some maple syrup, bitters and bam you got a breakfast old fashioned
I’m not sure I’d like that... :? :?

Could do without the bacon fat. At first thought you were going to say it turns into a nice syrup. That I could see.

I’m more a Manhattan than old fashioned drinker if having a cocktail. Not a fan of sweet.

Maybe it is the years of drinking Jack. The charcoal maple filtering isn’t for me. Don’t care how smooth Chris Stapleton says Tennessee Whiskey is.

I’ll take good ole Kentucky Bourbon over it any day.

That and good scotch.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:07 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 pm
And hells bells. Something you and I agree on. The apocalypse must be near.
If we weren’t talking about drinking this would feel a comic book where the two heroes find out they’re on the same side. Or what happens when a top or bottom meet, which might be the same thing.

To recap

Both guys want to be starters but the market has passed. Winston offers youth and being in a similar concept. Cam offers RPO and distribution potential albeit at the loss of accuracy sometimes

Steelers need an vet option at QB2 that doesn’t involve a guy who should be hunting or learning MMA.

4 Roses and Monkey Shoulder are must tries

And 95 and Cor found brown liquor common ground in a superhero comic sorta way

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 pm
VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 pm
955876 wrote:

I’m not sure I’d like that... :? :?

Could do without the bacon fat. At first thought you were going to say it turns into a nice syrup. That I could see.

I’m more a Manhattan than old fashioned drinker if having a cocktail. Not a fan of sweet.

Maybe it is the years of drinking Jack. The charcoal maple filtering isn’t for me. Don’t care how smooth Chris Stapleton says Tennessee Whiskey is.

I’ll take good ole Kentucky Bourbon over it any day.

That and good scotch.
I did say cheap bourbon. This is a breakfast brunch “I ain’t got shit to do today” drink that makes syrup on those pancakes redundant

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Winston and his 30 INT would do wonders in pittsburgh.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm

FWIW best reviewers of single malt around.

If these fellas give it the nod?

If you have the means, buy it.

If not (like me) dream about it or save up for one bottle every 3 months or so.

https://malt-review.com/category/scotch ... ngle-malt/
Last edited by steelclan on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 pm
Steelafan77 wrote:

I just don’t think Cam is right yet or he’d still be in Carolina. I think he needs about 3 or 4 months to actually get that foot right.

I’ve heard good things about 4 Roses and it came down to that and Angels when I was making my previsional 2 week purchase. I got Monkey Shoulder for my birthday and became a fan.
They or he hid the fact that he had a lisfranc and they did the same old tired treatment until it just failed. Shoulder is shot too. Guy doesn’t know when to hang it up
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 pm

I never want either guy as a starter, but they are both better than what we had last year.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:45 pm

El Kabong wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 pm
I never want either guy as a starter, but they are both better than what we had last year.
Do you have an opinion on how one should drink bourbon during a plague, though?
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:49 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 pm
CORE-TEN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 pm
So my post wasn’t just to you individually but more so a post to all that are reading. It’s helpful. Might save some guy years of drinking crap or worse, ruining good drink.

I saw a guy in the bar just the other day order a nice scotch and wanted it on the rocks. Ok fine.

My post was trying to save that guy from himself, not a condescending attack directed at you. I dont wish argue.
I can't believe I'm saying this but, Ok. Agreed.

Post by 955876 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:01 am

I did say cheap bourbon. This is a breakfast brunch “I ain’t got shit to do today” drink that makes syrup on those pancakes redundant
Ok fair enough.

Blanton’s is a pretty damn good single barrel bourbon. Runs at 93 proof. Good stuff

Even better is Blanton’s Gold. Those that travel to Europe grab a bottle and bring it back with you. It wasn’t made available for US release for whatever reason. Runs at 103 proof.

I’ve had it next to the regular Blantons and side by side it’s definitely better. Wish it was available here.

There is also a Blanton’s straight from the barrel that is 130 proof. Also only released to Europe. Haven’t tried that one

Also, DO NOT shy away from the Japanese or Taiwanese whiskies. There are some outstanding ones. More like scotch than bourbon.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 am

I think we have a good chance of getting either one.

And we should because we could definitely continue to make a run if Ben were to get hurt for a stretch with either JW or CN behind center.

If you were told by the market you are not a starter and you think and know you are a starter, what franchise do you have the best odds to be a starter for a long stretch?

a. Tampa - Injury and retirement odds are highest; might be a home for CN.
b. New Orleans - injury or retirement is imminent.
c. Indianapolis - injury or retirement is imminent.
d. Pittsburgh - injury odds are lowest knock wood or retirement.
e. Roll the dice on waiting for the season to start, then wait for the QB injury.

I would not be surprised to see the PS work out a deal with JW or CN.

R_S

Post by R_S » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 am

Sounds like blaming bad eyesight on the 30 ints is a clever way to drum up more interest and $$$ i call bullshit.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 am

R_S wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 am
Sounds like blaming bad eyesight on the 30 ints is a clever way to drum up more interest and $$$ i call bullshit.
Fair enough but here is the story

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=ht ... dAAAAABAI

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:07 am

sorry 30 ints really not needed here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic