A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Orangesteel

Re: Arians talks about dismissal from Pittsburgh...yep, you guessed right

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 pm

jeemie wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:36 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm
He’d be a complete loon to not come back. That loss to the Browns is how he wants to cement his legacy? I don’t believe it.
Do you think Brett Favre wanted this to be his last game? Getting blasted with a concussion in a game the Vikes lost 40-14?

You think Dan Marino likes it that his last game was on the short end of a 62-7 shellacking by Jacksonville where he went 11-25 for 95 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks and 2 sacks?

We don’t always get what we want.
True. But financially are those examples the same as Ben’s financial situation next year? That is some serious coin. Will make him one of the highest paid players in history.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:36 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 pm
Scunge wins. This x1000. I’m a massive Ben fan and want him back next year, but the reality is he hasn’t been good/great in the playoffs in who knows how long. It indeed sucks.
Last 7 playoff games
190/290 2273yds 13 TD ,9INT, 91.4rating, 65.52%, 7.84 YPA

yeah, he hasn't been good/great for who knows how long

Do you guys think maybe your sense of entitlement gets in the way of enjoying football?
Depends on how much pleasure one derives from bitching. :lol:
:lol:

Apparently, A LOT OF PLEASURE.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:21 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm
B2B, you don’t think that Ben has been responsible AT ALL for the playoff failures? I’m not laying the blame solely on him. I’m saying he’s been part of the suck; after all isn’t it about winning? You keep throwing stats out there but stats are for losers. And we’ve been losing.
Yes. Yes, I do.

He hasn't been good enough to win a Super Bowl. Sometimes he's been injured, sometimes hampered by the coaching/FO decisions, sometimes too inconsistent, sometimes great, sometimes bad. That's all kind of normal. But he's also given them a shot in pretty much all of those games, even the shitty NE AFCCG.

Couldn't throw in Cincy, still moved them down the field––probably into FG range even without the Burfict penalty.
Couldn't lift his arm over his head in Denver... still driving to the lead when a backup RB who shouldn't have been out there fumbled.
Crushed Miami.
Offense couldn't run the ball in KC, did just enough to win.
Didn't get the call on D and his receivers dropped TDs in NE.
Got strip-sacked from a blindside free rusher and threw an INT that probably you'd chalk up to 20% ball placement 30% receiver didn't work back to the QB as expected and 50% great play, tip your hat. Then proceeded to put together perhaps the 2nd or 3rd greatest performance of his career against the NFL's #1 defense.
Started the game down 7. Overthrew a screen pass to a covered RB who has the catch radius of one of those stuffed hot dogs in the Pirates mascot race. Had two tipped/deflected INTs. Tried to overcome those self-inflicted wounds and no running game and an offensive gameplan that was neanderthalish with a massive comeback, but his HC punted any chance he got close.

Yeah, some of that is his fault for not being perfect when he needed to be. And a lot of that is bad coaching and defensive collapses and 3rd string players making (understandable and predictable) mistakes.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:23 pm

jeemie wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:29 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Scunge wins. This x1000. I’m a massive Ben fan and want him back next year, but the reality is he hasn’t been good/great in the playoffs in who knows how long. It indeed sucks.
Last 7 playoff games

Do you guys think maybe your sense of entitlement gets in the way of enjoying football?
How many of those yards and TDs came when the Steelers were already in a huge hole, B2B?

He threw for 469 yards against Jax and 501 against Cleveland.

You’re going to tell me you think those were great games by him?
The Jacksonville game was probably the 2nd or third greatest game of his career. The mistakes-- if you can call getting strip-sacked by a blind side LB on a free rush a mistake––against the NFL's #1 defense weren't nearly enough to lose that game.

Cleveland was just trying anything to get back in the game after too big a hole and no run game and no balls at HC.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:27 pm

I don’t think we disagree here. Our defense and coaching in the playoffs has been abysmal. Even after having a top 3 defense.

Tomlin is a dolt. If the defense will never show up as they should, then Ben can’t turn the ball over. Everyone just needs to be better. Not sure Coach T. thinks he does, so he must go.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 pm

Exactly...everyone!
I just can’t help but wondering had Tomlin’s asshole not puckered on that 4th and one decision, and Ben/Steelers completed the comeback...
Oh well.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:21 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 pm
Exactly...everyone!
I just can’t help but wondering had Tomlin’s asshole not puckered on that 4th and one decision, and Ben/Steelers completed the comeback...
Oh well.
Could have been the greatest playoff comeback in franchise history...one we would remember forever.

And Tomlin put the ball on Jordan Berry’s foot instead of Ben’s arm.

Nice call, Coach.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:21 pm
Jobu wrote:
Exactly...everyone!
Oh well.
Could have been the greatest playoff comeback in franchise history...one we would remember forever.

And Tomlin put the ball on Jordan Berry’s foot instead of Ben’s arm.

Nice call, Coach.
Tomlin is an idiot...simple as that. How anyone can continue to TRY to defend this guy is baffling. And I emphasize try because there really is no longer any way to defend him. (Never had a losing season just doesn’t work anymore.) His tape is his tape. The guy is an albatross.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 pm

Jobu wrote:
Exactly...everyone!
Oh well.
I won’t go that far, but 4th and 1 was definitely Tomlin’s “Field Goal Bill” moment. I’m not letting him suck me in ever again.

Worse, after the game he defended his decision.

Mike Tomlin is not one to doubt Mike Tomlin.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:23 pm
The Jacksonville game was probably the 2nd or third greatest game of his career. The mistakes-- if you can call getting strip-sacked by a blind side LB on a free rush a mistake––against the NFL's #1 defense weren't nearly enough to lose that game.
It's hard to claim that with the turnovers. His greatest 2 or 3 quarters, maybe.

And, again, if Tomlin had been able to muster any resistance on the defensive side of the ball Ben would have completed that comeback. And, again, Tomlin put his foot on the throat of the comeback against CLE....plus his defense couldn't muster any resistance when it mattered.

When a QB has to play out of his mind to overcome Tomlin making dumb decisions out of fear, he's probably going to fail. And make mistakes trying to win.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
It's hard to claim that with the turnovers. His greatest 2 or 3 quarters, maybe.

And, again, if Tomlin had been able to muster any resistance on the defensive side of the ball Ben would have completed that comeback. And, again, Tomlin put his foot on the throat of the comeback against CLE....plus his defense couldn't muster any resistance when it mattered.

When a QB has to play out of his mind to overcome Tomlin making dumb decisions out of fear, he's probably going to fail. And make mistakes trying to win.
And the defense against Jax played better in half 2...so of course Tomlin, down 42-35 with 2:18 left and all three timeouts, goes onside.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm

jeemie wrote:
Jobu wrote:
Exactly...everyone!
Oh well.
I won’t go that far, but 4th and 1 was definitely Tomlin’s “Field Goal Bill” moment. I’m not letting him suck me in ever again.

Worse, after the game he defended his decision.

Mike Tomlin is not one to doubt Mike Tomlin.
We don't live in our fears.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 am

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

You have to take the quality of the opponents into account.

"Roethlisberger gets a boost of 122 DYAR for playing the best defense in the league. Before Sunday, the Jaguars had not allowed more than 271 passing yards or three touchdowns (both by Russell Wilson). Roethlisberger's fourth-down numbers were ridiculous: 4-of-5 for 95 yards and four conversions, including three touchdowns. That's more fourth-down yards and touchdowns in one game than any other player had in 16 games in the regular season."

Maybe hyperbole, since it was only the 18th best game of the decade for DYAR (he had #1 and #15, also), but considering the stakes, it was pretty good. Listen, mistakes are sometimes a problem, but when you throw 5 TD and only 1 pick vs the #1 D, you don't have to parse the praise.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:47 am

He's not going to get absolved for the fumble- he held the ball for nearly five seconds before getting hit. I went back and watched it.

He had to know the pressure was coming after holding the ball that long.

It was 21-7 before that fumble and 28-7 afterwards.

Because of his fumble.

You want to say Villy deserves blame for not holding off Ngakoue? Go ahead.

But it was nearly five seconds Ben held onto the ball.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:28 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Last 7 playoff games

The biggest issue I have with these numbers are 7 games 290 attempts. Why do we have to throw it 40+ times a game and we tend to lose more of those than not.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:17 pm
tbsteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 pm
He's naturally really glossing it over. Fired because he was too loyal to Ben? :?:

He got fired because he had a HOF QB in his prime and his offense was struggling to score more than 3 or 6 points in the first half of games, and just failing to score in general. Seem familiar? Like that Tebow playoff game where we were down 20-6 at halftime with 6 points in 7 first half possessions.

We finished that year 21st in scoring at 20.3 points per game (for reference, we averaged a little over 19 PPG last year with Mason/Duck in the 15 games they mostly played). Ben had 21 TDs to 14 INTs and 9 fumbles. More INTs and fumbles than TDs. We were 17th in red zone scoring, same as we were the prior year in 2010. That team was getting ready to go through a mini-rebuild, same as this coming year. Score more TDs and he would've been golden.
Yeah.....Steelers were 29th that year in turnover differential, and they were 4th in TOs per drive. As you mentioned they were 21st in scoring, and also were 16th in yards. The Steelers' O only cracked the top 10 once during the 5 years he was OC.

I agree with Mick - I remember this board wanting him gone. Really wish we could go back and read this boards reaction from that time.
Some people just love drama. I know I was done with him when he was fired/released what ever it was. Plus T.B. won the super bowl because they had an elite defense and a decent offense, not some juggernaut on O

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:16 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:28 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Last 7 playoff games

The biggest issue I have with these numbers are 7 games 290 attempts. Why do we have to throw it 40+ times a game and we tend to lose more of those than not.
Run game is awful ring a bell?
They started one game with their 3rd string back off the street.
In another, Bell was hurt the previous week and tapped out after 9 snaps.
This year, the short yardage and RB room were as bad as they've ever been in Ben's career... made me long for the days of Isaac Redman.
Ran it well vs Miami and blew them out. Eked out a win vs KC when their offense couldn't do anything.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm
Also Arians confirmed that Brady doesnt throw on Wednesdays as per the QBs request.

And Gronk also takes weds completely off.
and THAT is why they'll never win another Super Bowl under Arians... oh, wait. :shock:
Alright, this lessens my concerns about whether the rest of the team considers “vet days off” as slacker privilege or Cadillac’n it – to a degree.

Because a lack of practice hurt Pittsburgh this season. And guys who are physically healthy enough to participate should get the work in and take pride in that.

That said, maybe vet days off is why Mason performed so well in his lone start? He took enough reps on Wednesdays to feel comfortable with the 1st stringers.

Others who are closer to the team may know, but the average fan has right up next to no clue what goes on during an NFL practice

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:22 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 pm
jeemie wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:36 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 pm
He’d be a complete loon to not come back. That loss to the Browns is how he wants to cement his legacy? I don’t believe it.
Do you think Brett Favre wanted this to be his last game? Getting blasted with a concussion in a game the Vikes lost 40-14?

You think Dan Marino likes it that his last game was on the short end of a 62-7 shellacking by Jacksonville where he went 11-25 for 95 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks and 2 sacks?

We don’t always get what we want.
True. But financially are those examples the same as Ben’s financial situation next year? That is some serious coin. Will make him one of the highest paid players in history.
The ‘Elway ending’ of going out on top is every athlete’s fantasy, but it took a HOF running back in his prime to facilitate that in Denver.

Favre, Marino and Elway – all of those players were more respected out of their own team’s cities than Roethlisberger. Big Ben is certainly loved in
Pittsburgh and by Steelers fans, but there is a large faction of the population which, justly or unjustly, has made up its mind about him.

It’s like Democrat / Republican, where no amount of evidence to the contrary is going to change an opinion on a particular topic. In a narrative driven league, that makes a happy ending storyline improbable, if not impossible.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic