Ben has a new contract.

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
stillthere

Ben has a new contract.

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:08 pm

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers- ... 021-season
Steelers sign new contract with Roethlisberger for 2021 Season
Mar 04, 2021 at 01:00 PM

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed Ben Roethlisberger to a new contract for 2021, it was announced today.

"We are excited we were able to come to an agreement with Ben Roethlisberger on a new contract for him to return to the Steelers in 2021," said General Manager and Vice President Kevin Colbert. "We know that Ben can still play at a high level and do special things for this team. Our goal remains the same – to put together a roster that will compete for another championship. We are happy that Ben will be one of our leaders to help us accomplish that goal."

Roethlisberger, who has played in a Steelers record 233 games and started a record 231, came back strong in 2020 after missing the majority of the 2019 season with an elbow injury.

"It is my greatest honor to be a Pittsburgh Steeler and give my all for this organization," said Roethlisberger. "I am grateful to be at this stage of my career and more than happy to adjust my contract in a way that best helps the team to address other players who are so vital to our success. I love this game and love to compete, and I believe in this team and my ability to deliver when called upon. It all starts with great preparation and I am ready to go."
No numbers as of yet.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm

Well

We are about to see how much he cares about winning vs getting paid

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm

I'm sure they kicked the can down the road again.

....and they're going to regret it.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

rooneytunes

Post by rooneytunes » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 pm

Wide Receiver screens a plenty on the menu

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Hell yes!!!!

Glad that’s done!

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:42 pm

Well that secures the (former/potentially once again?) franchise QB position for the moment. Now we need a (potential) franchise Head Coach, which we currently lack, and which is the Steelers' greatest need of all.

The rest really is rearranging the deck chairs on ... well, you know which ship's deck ...

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:58 pm

franco>madden wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:42 pm
Well that secures the (former/potentially once again?) franchise QB position for the moment. Now we need a (potential) franchise Head Coach, which we currently lack, and which is the Steelers' greatest need of all.

The rest really is rearranging the deck chairs on ... well, you know which ship's deck ...
In my Horshack voice “oooo ooooo....can I guess what ship?”

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:06 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm
I'm sure they kicked the can down the road again.

....and they're going to regret it.
If they added a few years and stretched the money out I have no problem with it. They cannot take a full 41 million in 2021 and if it can be absorbed a lot easier in either of the next 2 years or over the next 2 years then it really would be the smart move. This salary cap situation this year may suck but the team is going to be sitting pretty going into 2022.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:15 pm

LFG!
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

SOCALSTEEL

Post by SOCALSTEEL » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm

How does the cap look after this?

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:26 pm

Locked up through 2025, nice!
Redskins Draft:
Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR, Ohio State
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:26 pm

SOCALSTEEL wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm
How does the cap look after this?
Probably about even with it now. Need to restructure more to get under
Redskins Draft:
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:27 pm

Ben took a nice hometown haircut for the team. Well done #7.

By taking a $5 million reduction in pay, minimum salary and spreading out the rest over voidable years, Ben Roethlisberger’s new deal with the Steelers shaves off more than $15 M from their salary cap in 2021

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger's new contract for 2021 utilizes a signing bonus, minimum base salary and voidable years to free up about $15 million of cap space, per source. Big Ben takes a $5M paycut, from $19M to $14M, giving the team much-needed breathing room.
This is great. We will be in a much better cap situation either as a cut next year or a post June 1st cut and spread the hit out over 2 years.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm

I think Ben is going to kick some fucking ass next year.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:38 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm
I think Ben is going to kick some fucking ass next year.
You’re riding your unicorn in the Land of Upgraded Offensive Line, right?

They better seriously upgrade the shit pile in front of him

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Took a pay cut, and now we're under the cap without huge dead money in future years... just awesome. Great job to Ben and the FO.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Well can this experiment answer the questions?

1.) Was it the OC?
2.) Was it the OL?
3.) Was it the HC?
4.) Is it Ben?
5) Is it Art?
6.) Was it the defensive injuries?

With everything TBay changed around last year, anything less than the SuperBowl answers 3, 4, 5 and we can keep score on 6!

Steel Ubaldo

Post by Steel Ubaldo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 pm

I think even the most pessimistic curmudgeonly bedwetters among us would have to agree that this deal was the very best we could realistically hope for.

I think it’s pretty fucking awesome that Colbert and Ben were able to work it out. I’m am definitely going to make it a point to get to at least one game if not 2 this year. I need to see Ben play in person at least one more time. I wish the season started this weekend.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 pm
I think even the most pessimistic curmudgeonly bedwetters among us would have to agree that this deal was the very best we could realistically hope for.

I think it’s pretty fucking awesome that Colbert and Ben were able to work it out. I’m am definitely going to make it a point to get to at least one game if not 2 this year. I need to see Ben play in person at least one more time. I wish the season started this weekend.
I'll say this: as someone who 100% believes this upcoming season will be a disaster, I'm truly interested in seeing Ben's approach to what will likely be his final NFL season.

Will he show up in the best shape of his life (and I mean actually in the best shape of his life)? Will he put in the time necessary to make himself more mobile? Lose the extra weight and work to improve his footwork? Maybe get together with his receivers this offseason and what will likely be an entire different group of running backs?

That type of thing.

Gonna be interesting.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

blu

Post by blu » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:44 pm

Did Ben take an actual $5m pay cut was the $5m just passed on to a future year?

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:58 pm

He took an actual pay cut of $5M. I was widely mocked when I said months ago that they could add voidable years and rework Ben’s contract to ~$5M new cap hit in 2021... his actual new cap hit will be almost down to $4M. This is great news, because you couldn’t get another QB for even the whole $14M that would come close to giving the Steelers as a good a chance as they’ll have with Ben this year.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:03 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:58 pm
He took an actual pay cut of $5M. I was widely mocked when I said months ago that they could add voidable years and rework Ben’s contract to ~$5M new cap hit in 2021... his actual new cap hit will be almost down to $4M. This is great news, because you couldn’t get another QB for even the whole $14M that would come close to giving the Steelers as a good a chance as they’ll have with Ben this year.
Can we ban that woman reporter (forgetting her name)? First, she basically doctored a quote from KC by leaving out key context. Her tweet made it seem like Steelers weren't key on Ben coming back, when in context it was clear they wanted him back and were looking to reduce the figure. Second, if memory serves she said recently no way Ben is taking a pay cut. The article is now no longer on the web.

Or at least come up with a name for her like Peaches.

blu

Post by blu » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I just hope that through a possible trade & the draft that the Steelers can re-work the o-line so that Ben will have time to throw the ball farther down the field & make his sacrifice worthwhile.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 pm

blu wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I just hope that through a possible trade & the draft that the Steelers can re-work the o-line so that Ben will have time to throw the ball farther down the field & make his sacrifice worthwhile.
Knowing how the Steelers work and think, my guess...
They’ll roll with Banner and Chuks at T, DDC and Dotson at G. They’ll draft a center early and retain Hassenshnitzel. They’ll sign Gerald (don’t call me PeePee) Hawkins or some other under-JAG FA, then draft tackle in the mid-late rounds and call it a day.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm

I actually expect Ben to be better next year. He entered this season off of an elbow surgery with no preseason and very little training camp and went right into live game action. I think that limited him mentally and physically somewhat early in the year and that carried on throughout the year. When they were winning a bunch of games with a limited offense there was nothing pushing them to change.

Knowing this is his last year, he likely goes back to playing more freely like the Ben of old. He has the confidence that his elbow is healed and has no reason to play timid and protect himself. Canada being the OC will force him out of the pure shotgun and quick passing game.
Redskins Draft:
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm
I actually expect Ben to be better next year. He entered this season off of an elbow surgery with no preseason and very little training camp and went right into live game action. I think that limited him mentally and physically somewhat early in the year and that carried on throughout the year. When they were winning a bunch of games with a limited offense there was nothing pushing them to change.

Knowing this is his last year, he likely goes back to playing more freely like the Ben of old. He has the confidence that his elbow is healed and has no reason to play timid and protect himself. Canada being the OC will force him out of the pure shotgun and quick passing game.
Here here.

His arm will most certainly be better than this past year so to me, that aline is a major positive. Anxious to see what the freed up money nets us. JuJu? Bud? Neither?

This will certainly be his last stand and I am fucking stoked.

I will do everything I can to be at his last home game.

SteelerFury tailgate anyone?

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 pm

March 4th Steelers fan, the franchise has spoken, hence day the quarterback has returned!

Playful joking aside, when considering the comments made by the owner, what came directly from the Big Ben himself towards the end of January, and what was communicated by the GM a couple weeks ago, something like this was developing all along.

And yes, let us see some improvements in the run blocking from the offensive line!
Carolina:
2.33 Payton Wilson, MLB, NC St.
2.39 Jalen McMillan, WR, Wash
3.65 Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
4.101 Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
5.141 Matt Lee, C, Miami
5.142 Jalyx Hunt, Hybrid S/LB/Edge, Houston Christian
7.240 Judge Culpepper, DL, Toledo

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm

I agree with all of this... but I reiterate that absolutely nothing is saying this is his last year. It’s only his last year if he doesn’t play well or he decides to retire.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic