Ben has a new contract.

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Mick

Re: Ben has a new contract.

Post by Mick » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Cap hit is about what i expected, but if it really has no guaranteed money outside of the signing bonus, it’s kind of an amazing deal, much more steeler friendly than i imagined.

I mean, the market says that league average QB play is worth about $30M these days.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 pm
Steelperch wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:53 pm
I actually expect Ben to be better next year. He entered this season off of an elbow surgery with no preseason and very little training camp and went right into live game action. I think that limited him mentally and physically somewhat early in the year and that carried on throughout the year. When they were winning a bunch of games with a limited offense there was nothing pushing them to change.

Knowing this is his last year, he likely goes back to playing more freely like the Ben of old. He has the confidence that his elbow is healed and has no reason to play timid and protect himself. Canada being the OC will force him out of the pure shotgun and quick passing game.
I agree with all of this... but I reiterate that absolutely nothing is saying this is his last year. It’s only his last year if he doesn’t play well or he decides to retire.

It is man. This will be his last hurrah.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:09 am

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 pm
Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 pm
I think even the most pessimistic curmudgeonly bedwetters among us would have to agree that this deal was the very best we could realistically hope for.

I think it’s pretty fucking awesome that Colbert and Ben were able to work it out. I’m am definitely going to make it a point to get to at least one game if not 2 this year. I need to see Ben play in person at least one more time. I wish the season started this weekend.
I'll say this: as someone who 100% believes this upcoming season will be a disaster, I'm truly interested in seeing Ben's approach to what will likely be his final NFL season.

Will he show up in the best shape of his life (and I mean actually in the best shape of his life)? Will he put in the time necessary to make himself more mobile? Lose the extra weight and work to improve his footwork? Maybe get together with his receivers this offseason and what will likely be an entire different group of running backs?

That type of thing.

Gonna be interesting.
I'm with this take 100%. Want to help me believe we have a shot then show up to camp ready to work at about 245LBS, then actually WORK during training camp, then practice a QB sneak for when we REALLY need a first down, then take some snaps under center AND show a play action fake once and a while, and throw the ball between the hashes over 10 yards and less than 20 yards and roll out and when the field is WIDE THE FUCK OPEN SCRAMBLE for a first down and ............. well for now that is a full plate so dig the fuck in.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:58 pm
He took an actual pay cut of $5M. I was widely mocked when I said months ago that they could add voidable years and rework Ben’s contract to ~$5M new cap hit in 2021... his actual new cap hit will be almost down to $4M. This is great news, because you couldn’t get another QB for even the whole $14M that would come close to giving the Steelers as a good a chance as they’ll have with Ben this year.
OMG he took a $5MM dollar pay cut what an incredible human being :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: After considering he has made $250,000,000 dollars off of the Steelers a $5,000,000 paycut amounts to a 2% return to the Steelers from his career earnings. Poor feller has to learn to live off $245,000,000. Hope he saved well or he may be a welcomer at a bad Vegas hotel soon.

yygy

Post by yygy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 am

Glad to see Ben will be back with these terms.

Saw a mock with Steelers taking Justin Fields this draft. Love to see that.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelperch wrote:
I actually expect Ben to be better next year. He entered this season off of an elbow surgery with no preseason and very little training camp and went right into live game action. I think that limited him mentally and physically somewhat early in the year and that carried on throughout the year. When they were winning a bunch of games with a limited offense there was nothing pushing them to change.

Knowing this is his last year, he likely goes back to playing more freely like the Ben of old. He has the confidence that his elbow is healed and has no reason to play timid and protect himself. Canada being the OC will force him out of the pure shotgun and quick passing game.
I agree with all of this... but I reiterate that absolutely nothing is saying this is his last year. It’s only his last year if he doesn’t play well or he decides to retire.
I agree with you, I still am of the mind he could play longer if he comes back with a big year and ends up just short of the goal.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:39 am

I agree with Perch and Orange think Ben will come back even better.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:42 am

stinger8 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:09 am
K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 pm
Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 pm
I think even the most pessimistic curmudgeonly bedwetters among us would have to agree that this deal was the very best we could realistically hope for.

I think it’s pretty fucking awesome that Colbert and Ben were able to work it out. I’m am definitely going to make it a point to get to at least one game if not 2 this year. I need to see Ben play in person at least one more time. I wish the season started this weekend.
I'll say this: as someone who 100% believes this upcoming season will be a disaster, I'm truly interested in seeing Ben's approach to what will likely be his final NFL season.

Will he show up in the best shape of his life (and I mean actually in the best shape of his life)? Will he put in the time necessary to make himself more mobile? Lose the extra weight and work to improve his footwork? Maybe get together with his receivers this offseason and what will likely be an entire different group of running backs?

That type of thing.

Gonna be interesting.
I'm with this take 100%. Want to help me believe we have a shot then show up to camp ready to work at about 245LBS, then actually WORK during training camp, then practice a QB sneak for when we REALLY need a first down, then take some snaps under center AND show a play action fake once and a while, and throw the ball between the hashes over 10 yards and less than 20 yards and roll out and when the field is WIDE THE FUCK OPEN SCRAMBLE for a first down and ............. well for now that is a full plate so dig the fuck in.
Practice a QB sneak for every QB sneak opportunity! The coaching staff hasn’t a clue when one is really needed. First game of the season could be make or break for 1st round bye on top of that.

Post by 955876 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:46 am

I’m certain we will see a QB sneak this year.

Problem is that it’ll be 4th and 4... :o
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:51 am

:shock:
Last edited by Jobu on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:51 am

955876 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:46 am
I’m certain we will see a QB sneak this year.

Problem is that it’ll be 4th and 4... :o
Maybe the can bring back the great Rosie Nix for that one...

Wait...that would for a fake punt! :roll:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:36 am

Kind of surprised he actually gave up $5M, because in the grand scheme of things it's probably not going to matter - will just go to overpaying 1 or 2 scrubs after Ben retires because they have to spend 90% of the cap and have no one to spend it on.

But we also don't know what sort of incentives they added, and more directly we have no idea what the salaries are beyond next year. If Ben is an MVP candidate again 2/3 of the way thru the year, he could very well come back in 2022 at $20-$25M per year (which, BTW is barely top-10 money for QB these days, if that).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:47 am

Steelperch wrote:

agree with all of this and i think the no bye fiasco fkd up Ben more than anyone else on the team.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am

stinger8 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
He took an actual pay cut of $5M. I was widely mocked when I said months ago that they could add voidable years and rework Ben’s contract to ~$5M new cap hit in 2021... his actual new cap hit will be almost down to $4M. This is great news, because you couldn’t get another QB for even the whole $14M that would come close to giving the Steelers as a good a chance as they’ll have with Ben this year.
OMG he took a $5MM dollar pay cut what an incredible human being :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: After considering he has made $250,000,000 dollars off of the Steelers a $5,000,000 paycut amounts to a 2% return to the Steelers from his career earnings. Poor feller has to learn to live off $245,000,000. Hope he saved well or he may be a welcomer at a bad Vegas hotel soon.
Wow. This is why I hate, well, a whole lot of Steelers fans, summed up in one post. Jesus, that's some sad, ungrateful shit. Seek help.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:59 am

Ice wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am
stinger8 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wow. This is why I hate, well, a whole lot of Steelers fans, summed up in one post. Jesus, that's some sad, ungrateful shit. Seek help.
Yep the same types who, before Ben, thought a first round draft pick on a QB was a waste of a pick.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:11 pm

So, Bill Cowher and Tom Donahoe?

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Now that this is done...I’m curious to see what happens w Joe Haden and other potential restructures

Like to retain a couple of our FAs

Really don’t want to lose Sutton or Hilton

I assume JuJu and Bud are gone

Anyone thing Feiler is part of the plan?

So many questions/decisions, so little time

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:02 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am
stinger8 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Gotta love the internet.

People bemoaning a $5 million paycut as "no big deal" are on the same level of people who see pics of models and say "she's not that attractive". Sure thing, chief.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:02 pm

Nearly everyone in the media I've heard has Ben coming back to the Steelers as being a big mistake.....for the Steelers.

If dude isn't motivated to prove the haters wrong when nearly every talking head on every network believes he's finished, then.....maybe Ben truly is finished.

I tried to watch all the different networks yesterday and only one or two commentators thought Ben coming back was in the Steelers best interest.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 pm

Jizz Mop wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm
Now that this is done...I’m curious to see what happens w Joe Haden and other potential restructures

Like to retain a couple of our FAs

Really don’t want to lose Sutton or Hilton

I assume JuJu and Bud are gone

Anyone thing Feiler is part of the plan?

So many questions/decisions, so little time
Speaking personally, I'd want no part of extending Haden or signing Feiler.

Haden is 32 and showing signs of decline. He's still a good player, but extending players like him are what gets you into cap hell. Feiler is a jag.

I do think that Nelson is ripe for an extension, though.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:45 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:02 pm
Nearly everyone in the media I've heard has Ben coming back to the Steelers as being a big mistake.....for the Steelers.

If dude isn't motivated to prove the haters wrong when nearly every talking head on every network believes he's finished, then.....maybe Ben truly is finished.

I tried to watch all the different networks yesterday and only one or two commentators thought Ben coming back was in the Steelers best interest.
Pro tip — don’t listen to the media. They are dumb. Really dumb.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:57 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:45 pm
K_C_ wrote:

Really, really, really dumb!

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:41 pm

K_C_ wrote:

Nearly everyone in the media said the Steelers were going 6-10 or 7-9 and missing the playoffs last year. Just sayin.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Extending Haden means you don't have to go out and find a starting CB in addition to all the other glaring needs. If you can do that, do it. If Feiler is part of the plan, I question the plan.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Extending Haden means you don't have to go out and find a starting CB in addition to all the other glaring needs. If you can do that, do it. If Feiler is part of the plan, I question the plan.
Haden is already under contract for next year. He'll be a FA for the 2022 season....when he will be 33 years old.

I'd rather go after a CB on the open market, unless Haden is willing to sign for significantly less than he's playing for now.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:16 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:41 pm
K_C_ wrote:

Nearly everyone in the media said the Steelers were going 6-10 or 7-9 and missing the playoffs last year. Just sayin.
Fair enough. Those pundits were wrong for sure.

Now on to next season.

I believe I saw a stat where the Steelers were 8-2 in one score games. We'll see if that holds up against a far, far more difficult schedule and with NUMEROUS changes ahead on the offensive line, in the backfield, likely in the secondary, at OLB, possibly at ILB, at TE and very possibly at WR.

Most importantly, the Steelers are going to have to fix the o-line and the running game. Ben threw 610 passes last year, on a surgically repaired elbow and at almost 40 years old. If the Steelers don't knock it out of the park finding o-line pieces and a quality starting RB this April, Ben might die attempting to the ball to make up for a non-existent running game.

A whole lot is going to have to go right for the Steelers to contend in 2021.

I simply do not see enough going right for the Steelers to truly be in the running for a championship.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Next season hasn't happened yet.

After the way Ben finished up, including the playoff game, he's given these talking heads plenty of ammunition to doubt him.

All of it is deserved.

Whether Ben is able to prove these folks wrong, remains to be seen.

Harvey Woodlawn

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:43 pm
I think adding 2 years to Haden is a smart move as well. Just make sure the contract is structured to give us some cap relief this year and allows for him to be cut after the 2nd season with a minimal cap hit.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:50 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Next season hasn't happened yet.

After the way Ben finished up, including the playoff game, he's given these talking heads plenty of ammunition to doubt him.

All of it is deserved.

Whether Ben is able to prove these folks wrong, remains to be seen.
A lot of Ben’s drop off in productivity was due to:

Poor Oline play which also resulted in a horrid running game

Hoping/expecting Oline to look like this next year:

Banner / Dotson / New Center / DeCastro / New tackle

Really like to see a draft where we get best OT avail at 24

2nd round either Creed Humphrey/Myers or UNC RB Williams

Depending on what happens in 2nd round, 3rd round pick is either Trey Sermon or Meinerz

So:

Banner Dotson Humphrey/Myers/Meinerz DeCastro #24 pick

With either Williams or Sermon as new #1 RB

Who is down w that?

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:57 pm

smithessmokin wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelperch wrote:

I agree with you, I still am of the mind he could play longer if he comes back with a big year and ends up just short of the goal.
That was the word from behind the scenes. If he isn't great, this will be the last hurrah. If he's great, both sides will sit down and work something out for another "last hurrah" in a year without as many holes to fill in the draft AND more cap room.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic