A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
COR-TEN

Re: Ben has a new contract.

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:58 pm

Jizz Mop wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:38 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm
I think Ben is going to kick some fucking ass next year.
You’re riding your unicorn in the Land of Upgraded Offensive Line, right?

They better seriously upgrade the shit pile in front of him
Um, this.

If he's running for his life every play; may as well just put duck/dobbs/ haskins in there and let them run.

But yeah. It was nice of him to sacrifice 5 fucking million dollars - when he's made over 100 million of them.

Value is subject to interpretation.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:58 pm
Jizz Mop wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Um, this.

If he's running for his life every play; may as well just put duck/dobbs/ haskins in there and let them run.

But yeah. It was nice of him to sacrifice 5 fucking million dollars - when he's made over 100 million of them.

Perhaps you haven’t heard...Zack Banner to the (LT) rescue. :lol:
And just to let you know, Duck(Rams) and Dobbs(FA and total suckage) are no longer members of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Haskins is probably a worse runner than 39 year old Ben.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:45 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:57 pm
smithessmokin wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 pm

I agree with all of this... but I reiterate that absolutely nothing is saying this is his last year. It’s only his last year if he doesn’t play well or he decides to retire.
I agree with you, I still am of the mind he could play longer if he comes back with a big year and ends up just short of the goal.
That was the word from behind the scenes. If he isn't great, this will be the last hurrah. If he's great, both sides will sit down and work something out for another "last hurrah" in a year without as many holes to fill in the draft AND more cap room.
I’d love this but I really do believe this is going to be it for him. Father time is undefeated. Ben has surely been banged up more than Rivers or Eli. I’ve always said Ben was better than both of them. How long can he continue?

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Jizz Mop wrote:

Um, this.

Perhaps you haven’t heard...Zack Banner to the (LT) rescue. :lol:
And just to let you know, Duck(Rams) and Dobbs(FA and total suckage) are no longer members of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Haskins is probably a worse runner than 39 year old Ben.
I was unaware that duck went to the rams. The steelers qb situation is kinda fucked. So we have MR and Haskins as backups?

Color me disappointed, even though rudolph played well in his last game.

I'd trade all of the o line for munchak.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:45 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am

I agree with you, I still am of the mind he could play longer if he comes back with a big year and ends up just short of the goal.
That was the word from behind the scenes. If he isn't great, this will be the last hurrah. If he's great, both sides will sit down and work something out for another "last hurrah" in a year without as many holes to fill in the draft AND more cap room.
I’d love this but I really do believe this is going to be it for him. Father time is undefeated. Ben has surely been banged up more than Rivers or Eli. I’ve always said Ben was better than both of them. How long can he continue?
Well, Ben better than either of those guys last year. And he had better passing numbers than any of the other more heralded QBs in his division. And won said division with zero run game and an iffy OL. So, I don't think I'd be counting him out yet.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:40 pm

Ye of little faith. Ben is on a revenge tour. And I don’t think he’s finished for 2-3 more years.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:46 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Jizz Mop wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Um, this.

You almost NEVER hear of a pro athlete agreeing to play for less, so it is notable that he did that regardless of how small a percent of his total earnings it is.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:19 am

El Kabong wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:46 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Jizz Mop wrote:

Um, this.

You almost NEVER hear of a pro athlete agreeing to play for less, so it is notable that he did that regardless of how small a percent of his total earnings it is.
So finally, the Steelers found someone to take that home town discount. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 am

Pabst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 pm
Jizz Mop wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm
Now that this is done...I’m curious to see what happens w Joe Haden and other potential restructures

Like to retain a couple of our FAs

Really don’t want to lose Sutton or Hilton

I assume JuJu and Bud are gone

Anyone thing Feiler is part of the plan?

So many questions/decisions, so little time
Speaking personally, I'd want no part of extending Haden or signing Feiler.

Haden is 32 and showing signs of decline. He's still a good player, but extending players like him are what gets you into cap hell. Feiler is a jag.

I do think that Nelson is ripe for an extension, though.

Agree about Haden completely. GReat guy and teammate etc...we all know that. But he's probably a year away from making WAY too much money for his contribution level.

I think we lose Hilton and we'll be glad in the long run that we kept Sutton. I really like him.

I hesitate to judge Oline cause I've seen too many come back with good coaching and look so much better. The Munchak effect. Problem is we don't have MM anymore. I'd swap out Feiler for a draft pick of note..he hasn't shown much IMO.

I hope to do as you suggest for Nelson.

Boy, is this draft going to crucial or WHAT! WE'll either be talking about them nailing 2 drafts in a row near the end of BB"s tenure and finally adding a sticky trophy to the total (optimistic me!) or rueing the day they blew it by taking a RB in the first round..lol

As the stomach turns...

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 am

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 am

Agree about Haden completely. GReat guy and teammate etc...we all know that. But he's probably a year away from making WAY too much money for his contribution level.

I think we lose Hilton and we'll be glad in the long run that we kept Sutton. I really like him.

I hesitate to judge Oline cause I've seen too many come back with good coaching and look so much better. The Munchak effect. Problem is we don't have MM anymore. I'd swap out Feiler for a draft pick of note..he hasn't shown much IMO.

I hope to do as you suggest for Nelson.

Boy, is this draft going to crucial or WHAT! WE'll either be talking about them nailing 2 drafts in a row near the end of BB"s tenure and finally adding a sticky trophy to the total (optimistic me!) or rueing the day they blew it by taking a RB in the first round..lol

As the stomach turns...
Haden allows us to do things in the pass defense that helps cover up Vince Williams deficiencies in pass coverage and allows him to do things he excels at.

The one thing with Hilton is he fits our blitzing scheme better than he may fit other teams nickel needs. I am hoping to get him back to play more of the slot backer position he seems to of carved out for himself but his price may make that a no go. I think he makes about 7 million per year.

Extending Nelson and getting his cap number to drop would be a great move.

BouldernBun

Post by BouldernBun » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:27 am

Hope Ben has a great year. However without a improved Oline or a god damn running back and saddled with a receiver corps full of Kwame Browns I am not counting on it.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:10 pm

Like others have pointed out, this has the appeal of the historically mentioned, but not ever accomplished, beloved superstar choosing to take less money for the good of the team. This puts him in rare company, if with any others at all. I can’t recall another time in any sport.

It would be wonderful news to hear that Roethlisberger was going to be hitting the crossfit gym this offseason, to work on flexibility. And that he was calling out TB12 to challenge him to who could work out the hardest over the summer. But with a beautiful wife and 3 kids, and no track record for such training, there should be no breath holding.

This is shaping up to be an intriguing off season. Just because Ben is essentially on a one-year deal, doesn’t mean the team will change their traditional course and try to go all in. Or does it? ... doubtful until proven otherwise, but not adding the 3rd Watt implies, no.

With more draft blessings, the Steelers could hit a few homeruns like last year and get some of the best players available at perceived positions of need.

But better to not reach for players imho; rather take a kid who can be an asset going forward, than get a guy who is a risk to be useless should the perceived shine wear off. That’s what makes sense to me.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:52 pm

Penny

Not buying the idea that not signing JJ Watt means they aren’t serious about winning....if that’s what you’re saying.

To me it was a wise move NOT to sign him, although it appears they were interested.

Too much money at the end of the day AND coupled with all the potential FA losses we may suffer it made no sense to me.

I hope we somehow retain Bud, but at this point looking at our FA list, I really only see Sutton retained w most leaving.

Hope I’m wrong. Hope there’s more restructuring to come and we free up money to sign a few of our guys.

Colbert and Co need to work some cap magic. ASAP.

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:14 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
Well, Ben better than either of those guys last year. And he had better passing numbers than any of the other more heralded QBs in his division. And won said division with zero run game and an iffy OL. So, I don't think I'd be counting him out yet.
Yup.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:34 pm

No, Mopp. I don't see anything that implies they are less interested in winning this season, but there's also no evidence to suggest any more desperation than usual to make a run at a sticky trophy.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:26 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

We were 7-2 in 1 score games last year. Including close wins against the Drew Lock-less Broncos, the Dak and Dalton-less Cowboys, a horrific Deandre Hopkins-less Texans team, a Lamar Jackson-less Ravens team and a blown huge lead to barely win at Tennessee.

Against a much tougher schedule and with more than a few new faces being counted on in major roles, I don't think we're going to go 7-2 in 1 score games next season.. We played with fire a lot in 2020 and as the season wore on late, we started to get burned....and then fell apart completely

Also, the Steelers beat the fuck out of the Browns when they didn't have Nick Chubb. Once they got him back, they beat us. Twice. Mayfield in the last 2 games against the Steelers had 4 TD passes and no picks. Took care of the ball. Chubb rushed for 184 yards in the final 2 games against the Steelers.

After we crushed the Jaguars in week 11, Roethlisberger threw 13 TD passes and had 9 INT's.

Ben will be counted on to do a lot more next season, offensively. A LOT fucking more. Guys like Mayfield and Jackson have reliable running games to fall back on. Burrow will likely be a lot better and he was pretty damn good pre-injury last season.

Colbert better knock in out of the park on draft day, finding at least 2 o-line pieces, a dangerous starting RB and likely a replacement for Smith-Schuster. Even if Roethlisberger puts in the required work and shows up in Adonis-like shape, if they don't find a running game for him, there is ZERO chance we repeat the division winning success of 2020.

Zero.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:12 pm

PennyBacker wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:10 pm
It would be wonderful news to hear that Roethlisberger was going to be hitting the crossfit gym this offseason, to work on flexibility. And that he was calling out TB12 to challenge him to who could work out the hardest over the summer. But with a beautiful wife and 3 kids, and no track record for such training, there should be no breath holding.
I've seen enough Tom Brady to last me for 10 years.

Ben doesn't have to become shredded, but no argument here that he would benefit from being more flexible.

Change crossfit to yoga. Find him a trainer with the proper mindset, and maybe the entire Roethlisberger fam takes part in it all.

Some publicity over the above could help boost his public image too. Ben, no longer the bad boy from his younger years, but a mature family man.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:29 am

stillthere wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 am

Haden allows us to do things in the pass defense that helps cover up Vince Williams deficiencies in pass coverage and allows him to do things he excels at.

The one thing with Hilton is he fits our blitzing scheme better than he may fit other teams nickel needs. I am hoping to get him back to play more of the slot backer position he seems to of carved out for himself but his price may make that a no go. I think he makes about 7 million per year.

Yes, it's truly part of the game I hate..having to give up quality because of the cap. Maybe Hilton likes the niche role he has? The answer to that is "yeah, but what does his agent think about his role" And that usually means bye bye.
Speaking of VW deficiencies, maybe he needs upgrading. Is that why LB'ers are being mocked to us in the first round?

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:40 am

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:29 am
stillthere wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 am

Yes, it's truly part of the game I hate..having to give up quality because of the cap. Maybe Hilton likes the niche role he has? The answer to that is "yeah, but what does his agent think about his role" And that usually means bye bye.
Speaking of VW deficiencies, maybe he needs upgrading. Is that why LB'ers are being mocked to us in the first round?
Hilton tried to get the steelers to sign him to a longer term contract as an ERFA and as an RFA. They wouldn't budge. I'll be shocked if the doesn't take the biggest payday possible from whoever offers it. Good for him.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:40 am

Hope the does and gets us a higher comp pick

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:51 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:40 am

Hilton tried to get the steelers to sign him to a longer term contract as an ERFA and as an RFA. They wouldn't budge. I'll be shocked if the doesn't take the biggest payday possible from whoever offers it. Good for him.
Sadly, all true.

Minkah'n Big Plays

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:02 pm
Nearly everyone in the media I've heard has Ben coming back to the Steelers as being a big mistake.....for the Steelers.

If dude isn't motivated to prove the haters wrong when nearly every talking head on every network believes he's finished, then.....maybe Ben truly is finished.

I tried to watch all the different networks yesterday and only one or two commentators thought Ben coming back was in the Steelers best interest.
KC, i'm confused. Based on your posts since the end of the season, cannot quite tell if you want Ben back or if you think he's finished yet?

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 pm

PennyBacker wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:10 pm
Like others have pointed out, this has the appeal of the historically mentioned, but not ever accomplished, beloved superstar choosing to take less money for the good of the team. This puts him in rare company, if with any others at all. I can’t recall another time in any sport.

This is shaping up to be an intriguing off season. Just because Ben is essentially on a one-year deal, doesn’t mean the team will change their traditional course and try to go all in. Or does it? ... doubtful until proven otherwise, but not adding the 3rd Watt implies, no.

With more draft blessings, the Steelers could hit a few homeruns like last year and get some of the best players available at perceived positions of need.

But better to not reach for players imho; rather take a kid who can be an asset going forward, than get a guy who is a risk to be useless should the perceived shine wear off. That’s what makes sense to me.
Let me help you out..... Tom Brady the G.O.A.T. played for less than $20MM when he could have been making $30MM. That seems to have worked out quite well. Guys trying to canonize #7 because he gave some money back are delusional. HE ALWAYS got his, then often showed up to camp fat and happy.

Here ya go

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... ough-years

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Are we going to just ignore the fact that Brady could have played for free, gotten zero endorsments... and still been a mega-millionaire?

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm

stinger8 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 pm
Let me help you out..... Tom Brady the G.O.A.T. played for less than $20MM when he could have been making $30MM. That seems to have worked out quite well. Guys trying to canonize #7 because he gave some money back are delusional. HE ALWAYS got his, then often showed up to camp fat and happy.

Here ya go

Weren't the Pats circumventing the cap by buying TB12 stuff or subsidizing the company or some shit? Or paying a consulting fee for fitness or some shit?

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Honestly, I think there's just a lot of "Steeler fans" out there that just want to trash Ben and get on with "the next thing," whatever that turns out to be, and there's not a damn thing he can do to change their minds. Group think is a wonderful thing.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:02 pm
Nearly everyone in the media I've heard has Ben coming back to the Steelers as being a big mistake.....for the Steelers.

If dude isn't motivated to prove the haters wrong when nearly every talking head on every network believes he's finished, then.....maybe Ben truly is finished.

I tried to watch all the different networks yesterday and only one or two commentators thought Ben coming back was in the Steelers best interest.
KC, i'm confused. Based on your posts since the end of the season, cannot quite tell if you want Ben back or if you think he's finished yet?
I want Ben back....for a final year. He deserves a farewell tour, but we simply aren't competing with the big boys of the NFL anymore with Ben at QB, not only at his current price tag but also, to be blunt, his ability simply isn't what it once was.

When you look at the current crop of QB's, there are a bunch of good ones. Good and some great YOUNG QB's and we need to get younger at that position and to find the next guy.

It's telling that after the Jags game, Ben threw 12 TD passes to 8 INT's. Dude wore down. It's understandable because Ben has taken an enormous amount of punishment since 2004 and his body is brittle and the offensive system last year was all about making sure Ben didn't take any unnecessary hits.

If they change the system back to Ben holding the ball next year? With several new o-line pieces? With a new RB likely getting 80% of the work and new in NFL pass pro?

Good luck, Ben. You're gonna need it.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 pm
Are we going to just ignore the fact that Brady could have played for free, gotten zero endorsments... and still been a mega-millionaire?
That has ABOLUTELY nothin to do with the premise that "no one leaves money on the table" type comments made, on this thread, like Ben is some kind of messiah cause he took a pay cut to play next year. Brady valued winning and his legacy above getting every immediate nickle possible. Me thinks Brady was prescient enough to know his legacy is life lasting and maybe the commercial returns in the long run are worth more than getting a few more dollars now. At this point Brady's approach looks like it was much more financially rewarding. I am sure the FACT he also worked harder at his craft had an impact on this strategy as well.

B2B I appreciate your efforts on this board but you seem to be heading into cult like devotion to #7. Wow just Wow

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:13 pm

stillthere wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm
stinger8 wrote:

Here ya go

Weren't the Pats circumventing the cap by buying TB12 stuff or subsidizing the company or some shit? Or paying a consulting fee for fitness or some shit?
Conspiracy theory much???? Maybe the games were "RIGGED" too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 am

stinger8 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:13 pm
stillthere wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm
stinger8 wrote:

Here ya go

Conspiracy theory much???? Maybe the games were "RIGGED" too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't buy into the games being rigged. I do know is that they burned the evidence involving video taping and that is not acceptable. If it was not that big of a deal then everyone should have been able to see the tapes and what was on them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic