Bud will not be franchised

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steeldrama
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Bud will not be franchised

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:54 pm

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on LB Bud Dupree.
It's long been expected that the Steelers, in salary cap hell, wouldn't use the tag on Dupree, who was franchise tagged in 2020. Dupree, who tore his ACL in December, is expected to be ready for training camp. Several teams will surely pursue the linebacker in free agency.

RELATED: Pittsburgh Steelers
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 9, 2021, 11:44 AM ET


Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22214
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:24 pm

They'd have a much better chance of fitting him under the cap without tagging him and just signing to a long term deal with a low 1st year cap hit. Also, this crop of EDGE FAs is pretty good... should push him down the $$ market a little + coming off the knee and being a #2. It's not impossible that they sign him if they want to. I can see they might not but it's not going to be unworkable.

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Just to echo B2B...The franchise tag for a LB is $15.6m in 2021. For some comparable players:

Dee Ford signed for 5 years, $85m with San Fran. His cap hit year one was $14.3m.
Za'Darius Smith got 4 years, $66m with GB. Year one cap hit was $7.25m

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:36 pm

BTW, this discussion is moot because Bud is signing with Atlanta no matter what, remember?

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22214
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:43 pm

lol :lol:

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22214
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 pm

I was going to make a Mark Madden joke with a video clip-- stand up comic whose routine was about a character he auditioned for named FATASS... but I just got lost in a rabbit hole of fatass standup comics for like 30 min. Couldn't find it.

Jobu
Posts: 11733
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm
Just to echo B2B...The franchise tag for a LB is $15.6m in 2021. For some comparable players:

Dee Ford signed for 5 years, $85m with San Fran. His cap hit year one was $14.3m.
Za'Darius Smith got 4 years, $66m with GB. Year one cap hit was $7.25m
I could be wrong on this, because I’m not really up on the cap and money stuff, but I think I read somewhere that since it would be Bud’s second tag, he would get around $19 mil on the franchise tag. No way are the Steelers fitting 19, or even 15 mil in the 2021 cap budget. Better chance of working a long term deal to make it work, not much better, but better nonetheless.
Bud be gone folks.

User avatar
shellwagnerblount
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Post by shellwagnerblount » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 pm
I was going to make a Mark Madden joke with a video clip-- stand up comic whose routine was about a character he auditioned for named FATASS... but I just got lost in a rabbit hole of fatass standup comics for like 30 min. Couldn't find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQjiK6htCI
You just described almost my entire covid19 experience! WE are brothers in arms now. Do we get a secret decoder ring? :lol:

User avatar
COR-TEN
Posts: 10668
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 pm
I was going to make a Mark Madden joke with a video clip-- stand up comic whose routine was about a character he auditioned for named FATASS... but I just got lost in a rabbit hole of fatass standup comics for like 30 min. Couldn't find it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22214
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:57 pm

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:52 pm
I was going to make a Mark Madden joke with a video clip-- stand up comic whose routine was about a character he auditioned for named FATASS... but I just got lost in a rabbit hole of fatass standup comics for like 30 min. Couldn't find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQjiK6htCI
You just described almost my entire covid19 experience! WE are brothers in arms now. Do we get a secret decoder ring? :lol:
😂

steelmann58
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Post by steelmann58 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 am

If he has to sign anywhere let it be enough to get us a solid comp

stillthere
Posts: 5374
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 am
If he has to sign anywhere let it be enough to get us a solid comp
Bud is netting a 3rd round comp pick

Scunge
Posts: 2714
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Post by Scunge » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm

Not necessarily, stillthere.

I have seen wild speculation that he may have to settle for a one year prove it deal, or maybe he signs for a 3 year deal. That does not automatically guarantee the Steelers get a 3rd round comp pick. It could very well be much lower.

Now if JuJu signs with the Jets, the Cards, etc, something like 5 years, $75-80 million, that might get us a 3rd round comp pick.

You look at Bud, the Ravens didn't tag either of their OLBs, Judon and Yannick Ngakoue are free agents, so what is Bud's market really like? He is also 28 years old and coming off the ACL.

If Bud were smart, he would sign a one year deal with the Steelers and show the rest of the NFL that he is fully recovered and playing opposite of Watt and having Highsmith able to give him rest throughout the season, Bud could easily have a double digit sack season and then sign a more substantial contract in 2022.

I think of how Tyran Mathieu did it when he got cut by Arizona. He signed a one year deal with the Houston Texans for $7 million and then was able to sign a 3 year, $42 million deal with KC the very next year. Dupree should realize that the Steelers, the defense, his role in it, playing opposite of Watt puts him in the very best position to cash in for 2022. Get more of a signing bonus, more guaranteed money, but hey what do I know?

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22214
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm
Not necessarily, stillthere.

I have seen wild speculation that he may have to settle for a one year prove it deal, or maybe he signs for a 3 year deal. That does not automatically guarantee the Steelers get a 3rd round comp pick. It could very well be much lower.

Now if JuJu signs with the Jets, the Cards, etc, something like 5 years, $75-80 million, that might get us a 3rd round comp pick.

You look at Bud, the Ravens didn't tag either of their OLBs, Judon and Yannick Ngakoue are free agents, so what is Bud's market really like? He is also 28 years old and coming off the ACL.

If Bud were smart, he would sign a one year deal with the Steelers and show the rest of the NFL that he is fully recovered and playing opposite of Watt and having Highsmith able to give him rest throughout the season, Bud could easily have a double digit sack season and then sign a more substantial contract in 2022.

I think of how Tyran Mathieu did it when he got cut by Arizona. He signed a one year deal with the Houston Texans for $7 million and then was able to sign a 3 year, $42 million deal with KC the very next year. Dupree should realize that the Steelers, the defense, his role in it, playing opposite of Watt puts him in the very best position to cash in for 2022. Get more of a signing bonus, more guaranteed money, but hey what do I know?
Steelers can't afford him on a one-year deal, because they would need to spread out the hit. The best they could do to make it work like you're suggesting would be a three or 4 years deal with big escalator in year 2 that is not guaranteed. If he's awesome, you offter to make that number guaranteed as a SB on a new extension and if he doesn't play well, you release him. It costs them a comp pick, though, which is why I think that if they really want to sign him, they offer a 4-year deal or a 5 year deal with a balloon in year 5 that encourages and extension or re-structure.

User avatar
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin
Posts: 22214
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm
Scunge wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm
Not necessarily, stillthere.

I have seen wild speculation that he may have to settle for a one year prove it deal, or maybe he signs for a 3 year deal. That does not automatically guarantee the Steelers get a 3rd round comp pick. It could very well be much lower.

Now if JuJu signs with the Jets, the Cards, etc, something like 5 years, $75-80 million, that might get us a 3rd round comp pick.

You look at Bud, the Ravens didn't tag either of their OLBs, Judon and Yannick Ngakoue are free agents, so what is Bud's market really like? He is also 28 years old and coming off the ACL.

If Bud were smart, he would sign a one year deal with the Steelers and show the rest of the NFL that he is fully recovered and playing opposite of Watt and having Highsmith able to give him rest throughout the season, Bud could easily have a double digit sack season and then sign a more substantial contract in 2022.

I think of how Tyran Mathieu did it when he got cut by Arizona. He signed a one year deal with the Houston Texans for $7 million and then was able to sign a 3 year, $42 million deal with KC the very next year. Dupree should realize that the Steelers, the defense, his role in it, playing opposite of Watt puts him in the very best position to cash in for 2022. Get more of a signing bonus, more guaranteed money, but hey what do I know?
Steelers can't afford him on a one-year deal, because they would need to spread out the hit. The best they could do to make it work like you're suggesting would be a three or 4 years deal with big escalator in year 2 that is not guaranteed. If he's awesome, you offer to make that number guaranteed as a SB on a new extension and if he doesn't play well, you release him. It costs them a comp pick, though, which is why I think that if they really want to sign him, they offer a 4-year deal or a 5 year deal with a balloon in year 5 that encourages an extension or re-structure.

User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 18468
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

I will continue to predict Dupree to Miami.

Absolutely no way he’s back in Pittsburgh.
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

stillthere
Posts: 5374
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
I will continue to predict Dupree to Miami.

Absolutely no way he’s back in Pittsburgh.
Atlanta may be a destination as well. He is from Georgia originally.

User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 18468
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm

stillthere wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
I will continue to predict Dupree to Miami.

Absolutely no way he’s back in Pittsburgh.
Atlanta may be a destination as well. He is from Georgia originally.
Wouldn't surprise me, but the Dolphins are loaded with money and on paper have one helluva good team.

If Tua emerges, they should challenge Buffalo for the division this year and Florida has no state tax.

The Dolphins are a whole lot closer to winning something than the Falcons are and Dupree can both get paid and contend.

I don't see that happening anytime soon in Atlanta.
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

stillthere
Posts: 5374
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:09 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm
stillthere wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
I will continue to predict Dupree to Miami.

Absolutely no way he’s back in Pittsburgh.
Atlanta may be a destination as well. He is from Georgia originally.
Wouldn't surprise me, but the Dolphins are loaded with money and on paper have one helluva good team.

If Tua emerges, they should challenge Buffalo for the division this year and Florida has no state tax.

The Dolphins are a whole lot closer to winning something than the Falcons are and Dupree can both get paid and contend.

I don't see that happening anytime soon in Atlanta.
The tax thing is a huge draw for players. Especially those that are about to get broken off a large chunk of change.

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 2259
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:17 pm

stillthere wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
I will continue to predict Dupree to Miami.

Absolutely no way he’s back in Pittsburgh.
Atlanta may be a destination as well. He is from Georgia originally.
Unless Bud plans to take a massive paycut to play for a shit team, he's not going to Atlanta.

The Falcons are $14m over the current cap, and their largest contracts (Ryan, Julio Jones, Jarrett, Matthews, Fowler, and Deion Jones) are unmovable. I have no idea how they'd pay Bud, but hey, if Mark Madden says so....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic