NFL Draft Triple Take: Quarterbacks | Pittsburgh Steelers

Post by stillthere » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH-m9Fpa_YY

Talk about the top 5 prospects.

Plus some sleepers.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 pm

This pervasive wisdom everyone is parroting regarding "the NFL is moving to more athletic QBs and pocket passers are dinosaurs" is, in a word, horseshit. When are these modern QBs going to take over winning championships?

Here are the Super-Bowl Winning QBs from most recent, going backwards in time:

Brady, Mahomes, Brady, Foles, Brady, Peyton, Brady, Russ Wilson, Flacco, Eli, Rodgers, Brees, Ben, Eli, Peyton, Ben, Brady, Brady, Brad Johnson, Brady, Dilfer, Warner, Late Elway, Late Elway, Favre, Aikman.

Although mobility is a part of Mahomes', Wilson's & Rodgers's game and perhaps of Ben's early career, none of those guys is a running QB and absolutely no one cares about their 40 time. I mean, one could argue that those are some of the least athletic runners of the entire NFL in that period. You basically have to go back to Steve Young for a QB who was the kind of run/pass threat that it is perceived is not only the future of the NFL but a necessity for a draft prospect.

I think it probably (from a practical standpoint) hurts a QB's ability to grow in the mental part of the game, because they know if a receiver isn't there and open they can just take off and helps maybe in the early part of their career to be able to make plays with their legs while they figure the rest out. But I just don't see the great big advantage in terms of winning big games vs great defenses/great opponents.

Just look at the Mac Jones tape and see some incredible throws: anticipation, tight windows, great reads. WTF cares if he can run or not? He manages the pocket well and doesn't look lost when the other team throws a different coverage look at him. Sure, I enjoy a QB who adds something as a runner, but if they aren't a great QB from in the pocket, the chances of them succeeding against the best NFL defenses have to offer is slim.

If they can't stand in under pressure and make great decisions and awesome throws, the rest is a nice footnote or fantasy stats.

Of those top 5 guys, 2 of them are going to be serious disappointments or worse. At least. If I had to bet my retirement, I'd guess the 2 disappointments will be from the three most heralded, Lawrence, Fields, & Wilson. Such is the way of the NFL draft and 1st round QBs.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:06 pm

I look back at that 2018 draft and the 5 QBs taken in the first round.

Josh Allen was the 3rd taken and I think is proving to be the best of the bunch, but his success is not because he can run.

Buffalo went all in, got coaches to work on his mechanics, fundamentals, throwing motion, and the mental part of the game and it paid off in 2020.

There really is something to be said that often times,the 3rd, 4th ranked prospect turns out to be the home run in the first round and not the first or second ranked player.

Remember that year there were 5 first round CBs? Wasn't that 2016, the year we drafted Burns? And yet it was the CB not taken in the first round, Xavien Howard who ended up being the 2nd best CB behind Jalen Ramsey. This happens every year, that same year of 2016 weren't there four first round DTs? And yet Chris Jones taken by KC early in the second round ends up being the best player.

For example, I have thought that Javonte Williams will be the best RB taken in the first round this year. Others may like Harris or Etienne but for me it is Williams, all day, everyday. I think the Steelers will have to take him at 24, don't think he will make it out of the first round.

I am hoping that whatever happened last year in our front office/scouts continues this upcoming draft.

Say what you want about Colbert and company, but damn look at some of what they did last year:

6 OLBs were taken before Alex Highsmith.
7 Guards went before Kevin Dotson.
10 WRs went before Chase Claypool.

Those are 3 great picks that contributed greatly as rookies and have exciting potential as long term starters. We need to strike gold like that again in this upcoming draft. I don't want to hear that we aren't picking high in each round, gems are there for the taking in each round, the only question, is our front office/scouts smart enough to uncover them?

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:20 pm

I bet the Steelers are targeting Trask :roll:
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 am

With the projected fa losses and comps for 2022 that when they be ready for the 2022 draft for the qb

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:04 pm

It’ll be a quality QB class, especially for guys at borderline height threshold. Like, if you don’t mind a QB between 6’ and 6’1, there will be 3-5 great ones.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Also, if Greyson McCall and Jeff Undercuffler come out in 2021 class, then it’ll officially be as good a QB class as I can recall from top to bottom. Pick 2!

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Arm strength, quick decision making, accuracy. That is what they should judge QBs on. If they have all 3 then they are golden.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:57 pm

The processing speed is key. It's my worry about Fields in the NFL. Did he hold the ball at tOSU because he could, or is it because it took him too long to get through? Some team will pay a lot of money for the answer to that question.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic