Potential Free Agent Aqusitions

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Charles Demarr

Re: Potential Free Agent Aqusitions

Post by Charles Demarr » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm sure it's a dream because this team is broke as joke, but I would love to see Gus Edwards or Gerald Everett brought in.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:36 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:06 am
I agree they should not do to much to blow the expectation for the potential comps. But think our C will come via Fa.
I am beginning to wonder if signing a veteran center may be the best course of action this offseason.

Consider that there could be some younger and less experienced guys along the line at times next season. It might be useful to have confidence that the man in the middle can confidently dictate if/when necessary.

And given that the future beyond this season at QB is anyone’s guess, in the event that a younger player or players begin to take snaps along the way, then someone who has experience with how defenses like to attack could be a benefit.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Carlos Dunlap cut by Seattle.

Don't know shit about what he is going to get salary wise but Seattle is saving 14million in cap space.

I think a lot of players are going to be taking one year contracts this year and go back into free agency next season when the cap bounces back.

The league should of had the cap remain stagnant and borrowed money from the next 5 or 10 years to keep the hit minimal. The cap currently is expected to drop roughly 20 million at the most. Each team could have borrowed 2 million from each cap the next 10 years to make this transition easier to stomach financially.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 am

Steelers need a Number one but need Snell or McFarland to step up

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 am

Any love TE Rudolph?

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Mentioned it in draft forum, but if you absorb the loss of Bud and Juju, what about making a run at Aaron Jones in FA? I know, C$2 RB, but he'd be productive for a few years while you're finishing out the Ben Era/ starting the rebuild, then you cut him loose. Messes up comp picks, but the Steelers haven't historically cared.

Then you go Edge/LB at 24, you're freed to upgrade Oline, nickel, edge/LB (whichever you don't go with at 24), WR depth with the rest of your draft.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:41 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 am
Any love TE Rudolph?
He's a willing blocker, but much better pass catcher. He's a chain mover and RZ threat. Not as athletic as Ebron, but more reliable. He'll run the right route and be there on time. If the ball is close he has sticky hands.

Unfortunately, I think Tomlin likes Ebron, so we're stuck with him. At $6M per year I'd rather have a more well rounded TE, not one that can just run fast, get open and catch some of the balls, but drop too many.....and usually screw up a blocking assignment which results in plays getting blown up by the D. :roll:

My guess is they draft one or go get one in FA that is a good blocking type. Rudolph is kind of redundant to Ebron, I think.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 pm

They need to admit they made a mistake and cut Ebron. They brought Ben back to attempt to make another run. Can't afford to waste money on a guy with no hands. Man up and go get someone else.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:43 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 pm
They need to admit they made a mistake and cut Ebron. They brought Ben back to attempt to make another run. Can't afford to waste money on a guy with no hands. Man up and go get someone else.
Cmon down Luke Farrell in the 6th.....!!!.....youre the next contestant on One-Dimensional Steeler TE !!!!!
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:59 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
I think Ben is one of the reasons Ebron is in Pittsburgh. Supposedly Eric and Ben got along very well at some church retreat and kicked off the whole recruiting Ebron to Pittsburgh.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:49 pm

The Cardinals will not assign the franchise tag to LB Haason Reddick, making him a free agent.

Could a guy like Haason Reddick play alongside Bush and be effective? Would our run D suffer too much? How much would he cost? He reminds me of Bud a little in that he blossomed later. He was almost a bust his first three years and then he had a nice season last year. I like what he would add in coverage and pass rush, not sure about run D though.

I'm thinking he might have to take a one year prove it deal. I would be interested. It might be time to move on from Vinny.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 pm

DP39 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:49 pm
The Cardinals will not assign the franchise tag to LB Haason Reddick, making him a free agent.

Could a guy like Haason Reddick play alongside Bush and be effective? Would our run D suffer too much? How much would he cost? He reminds me of Bud a little in that he blossomed later. He was almost a bust his first three years and then he had a nice season last year. I like what he would add in coverage and pass rush, not sure about run D though.

I'm thinking he might have to take a one year prove it deal. I would be interested. It might be time to move on from Vinny.
Vinny's replacement is already on the roster and is dirt cheap: Robert Spillane.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 pm

DP39 wrote:

I would love the Steelers to put him next to Bush. Speed on the D is everything.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 pm
DP39 wrote:

Vinny's replacement is already on the roster and is dirt cheap: Robert Spillane.
This. He fucking deserves it too. Vinny’s heart is good and he’s still a good run stuffer but such a liability in coverage.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:50 pm

Kevin Zeitler G. NYG released saving the Giants 14 million. Could be a person to talk to. Granted he is 31 years old.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:47 am

Steelers will be on the look out or either aC Te maybe I’ll And ot in Fa. Someone who has been released.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Pabst wrote:
DP39 wrote:

I would love for that to be true, but I have my doubts, unfortunately.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:05 pm

DP39 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm
I'd much rather try Robert Spillane at an ERFA salary than break the bank for Redidick and move him to a new position.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:53 pm

Pabst wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:05 pm
DP39 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm
I'd much rather try Robert Spillane at an ERFA salary than break the bank for Redidick and move him to a new position.
I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part, but he's a guy that I could see greatly improving our middle of the field speed and someone that, based on the slow start to his career, might come cheaper than expected.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:10 am

I just waiting to see who the Steelers sign first BJ Finney or JJ

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:53 am

Detroit Lions release TE Jesse James

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/1 ... ree-agency

If the money is right a 2 year deal may help this team a lot on offense. I was interested in what the Lions were going to do with him once Spielman and Motor City Dan Campbell got to town.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:09 am

Yep...BJ Finney, Jesse James, Kelvin Beacham, the ghost of Manny Sanders...hells bells, bring back Dirty Red, the Mighty Chickollo, and the Ice Cream Man while we’re at it!
Is Laundry Jones available?
Does anyone have Jarvis Jones and Ziggy Hoods number?
Jeezus! :roll:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:44 am

Chickillo replaced a water heater at my condo last month. I'll call Sobieski tomorrow and tell him you're looking for him.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Pabst wrote:
DP39 wrote:

I don't think Spillane has even close the size to hold up at Buck. With that being said, he doesn't have the speed to play the Mack, sooo...

Maybe

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Here is your next potential free agent acquisition.

“Lions release former Steelers TE Jesse James”

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:59 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:37 pm
I don't think Spillane has even close the size to hold up at Buck. With that being said, he doesn't have the speed to play the Mack, sooo...

Maybe
He's listed as 4 lbs smaller than Vince

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:59 pm
anpsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Maybe
He's listed as 4 lbs smaller than Vince
Yep...
6’1” 229 Spillane

6’1” 233 VW

He just needs to have a big breakfast on game days... :D
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Ebron is not the biggest issue on this team, and despite the choker pedigree that he may have obtained in Detroit being reinforced by some untimely drops this year, was one of the few guys that showed up to play in the disaster at Cleveland. I would also note the last time we had a TE catch more than five TDs in a season was in 2012 when Heath got a pro bowl nod. I think as far as Colbert offseason free agent patchwork goes, i'd actually consider him a qualified success.

That said, I hope they keep an eye on TE talent in this year's draft class.

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 pm

drmalba wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
Ebron is not the biggest issue on this team, and despite the choker pedigree that he may have obtained in Detroit being reinforced by some untimely drops this year, was one of the few guys that showed up to play in the disaster at Cleveland. I would also note the last time we had a TE catch more than five TDs in a season was in 2012 when Heath got a pro bowl nod. I think as far as Colbert offseason free agent patchwork goes, i'd actually consider him a qualified success.

That said, I hope they keep an eye on TE talent in this year's draft class.
i’ve been expecting a lot more film analysis on what the hell was wrong with our run game last season.

I’ve seen screenshots on maybe 1 or 2 plays, and i see like a 4-on-2 up the middle, and our four getting pushed back a yard or so, 3 guys coming unblocked on the right, and another 3 coming from the left with just Ebron to take them (and he naturally picks the wrong one). And i’m thinking “we can’t be this bad, how is this even a play?” But im not sure if those were representative.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Id really like the Steelers to avoid FA prior to the draft this year.

After the draft ....sure....pursue whats needed

But the Steelers have ALOT of problems.....

An intelligent draft followed by rookies getting more play time and coaching would help

There will be PLENTY of FAs available this year after the draft.
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic