Cap set at 182.5

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
rooneytunes

Cap set at 182.5

Post by rooneytunes » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Anyone know what that means for us? How much more we need to adjust to get there?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

As of this moment, the Steelers have $5.2m in cap space and they need to address the following:

Dupree, Hilton, Sutton, Alualu, Villy, Feiler, Juju, Conner. Obviously they won't sign all of those guys, but they'll at least need to find a replacement.

What's crazy to me is the Steelers really aren't in too bad of shape compared to some other teams (Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Falcons). According to Spotrac, there are 10 teams currently over the Cap.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm
As of this moment, the Steelers have $5.2m in cap space and they need to address the following:

Dupree, Hilton, Sutton, Alualu, Villy, Feiler, Juju, Conner. Obviously they won't sign all of those guys, but they'll at least need to find a replacement.

What's crazy to me is the Steelers really aren't in too bad of shape compared to some other teams (Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Falcons). According to Spotrac, there are 10 teams currently over the Cap.
Villy, Feiler, Juju........good riddance
Conner.......good luck
Dupree, Hilton........we would love if you stay but we understand
Alualu......heres some money
Sutton......if you will take less $$ you can stay
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:16 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:36 pm
Pabst wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Villy, Feiler, Juju........good riddance
Conner.......good luck
Dupree, Hilton........we would love if you stay but we understand
Alualu......heres some money
Sutton......if you will take less $$ you can stay
That’s about it
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post by 955876 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Yep. Pretty much agree with all that.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:08 pm

They’re gonna re-sign James Conner...make your peace with that now... :mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:08 pm
I'm 100% fine with resigning Conner.....for the league minimum salary.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Jobu wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:08 pm
Rather move on. Plz

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:23 pm

I will go out on a limb and say if Connor leaves to a smart team he will become the best 3rd down back in the league........pro bowl coach selection

I wouldnt be surprised if the Steelers re-signed him.......disappointed tho in what it will likely imply
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:23 pm
I will go out on a limb and say if Connor leaves to a smart team he will become the best 3rd down back in the league........pro bowl coach selection

I wouldnt be surprised if the Steelers re-signed him.......disappointed tho in what it will likely imply
Is the implication “we’re good with being mediocre?”

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Jizz Mop wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:23 pm

Is the implication “we’re good with being mediocre?”
Connor could be one of the very best in the NFL at 3rd down back on a good team ........

We are a dumb team that fears change
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 pm

rooneytunes wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:55 pm
Anyone know what that means for us? How much more we need to adjust to get there?
With rollover the Steelers have 187 million to spend on the cap this season. according to OTC the Steelers are at $184,783,469. So they have a couple million to spare as far as getting compliant. They now need to restructure a few more deals and then they can try to sign some of our or other teams free agents.

Post by 955876 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:13 pm

agree on Connor as well. As part of a mix he’s a very good component.

As a bell cow expected to log 20-30 carries per week you’ll end up with Benny Snail as your starter car too often.

I’m ok keeping Connor as part of a committee.

RB is a position too susceptible to injury it seems and when you rely on a single guy as as your bell cow you end up pulling a Ben Tate off his couch to start against the Ravens in a playoff game.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Connor had 4.3 yards/carry last season for the #32 rush attack in the league, where everyone else combined for 3.1 yards/carry (helped by RayRay’s 16 yards/carry). He’s also a plus blocker and good pass catcher out of the backfield.

He honestly might have been our best player on offense last season, which isn’t saying a lot vs. the handful of slightly above average other skill guys and below average o-linemen we fielded, and he’s definitely too injury prone. But replacing/upgrading him is very unlikely to be a reason our offense improves this season.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:08 am

Conner is one of my dark horse resignings this offseason.

If it were me, the plan would be to draft Javonte Williams in round 1 at pick 24. If Conner signs a team friendly deal then that gives you a great 1-2 combo with hopefully Anthony McFarland developing as a speedy complement too.

Conner would be perfect in that #2 role, wouldn't have to be the bell cow. I look around the NFL and the best teams not only have a very good/great #1 HB, but also depth, a great squad overall. Why limit ourselves to JUST drafting a first round pick and calling it a day?

Some might say, hey, yeah, we should do better than Benny Snell as the #2 but why sign Conner? Can't we go after somebody else?

Well, to me, there are a number of reasons not to sign a free agent RB. One, you are probably going to spend more. Two, you may screw up your comp picks allocated next year if you sign too many free agents. And Three, Conner has experience with the team and more importantly, with Matt Canada. Canada was his OC at Pitt when they were both in college. In fact, between Conner, McFarland, Samuels and Watt, Canada has coached all 4 of them in college.

I can't help but feel that Canada would love to have Conner back as that #2 RB.

I think the most we can hope for in terms of signing our own free agents is this:

Zach Banner
James Conner
Tyson Alualu
Cam Sutton
Chris Wormley
Jordan Berry

I think Dupree, JuJu, Big Al, Feiler and Hilton are all gone.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:33 am

I wouldn’t spend a fucking dime on Chris Wormley.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:58 am

The Steelers have a long history of taking players like Chris Wormley and turning them into important role players along the defensive line. Players that buy into the system, become selfless and are relatively cheap to boot.

Look at Tyson Alualu, or Kimo Von Oelhoffen.

Look at a player like Travis Kirschke back in the day. Everybody remembers Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel, but Travis was right there with them and played 6 years and ended up starting 18 games when the starters got knicked. An underrated cog, a glue player, one needed to fill in the cracks at times, and he has two Super Bowl rings.

I think Wormley can be another Kirschke, and this draft is not really strong in terms of D-lineman, that I can see. By the time the Steelers look to address the D-line, they are probably late in the draft, 6-7 rounds. Better to give a modest two year deal to Wormley like they did with Tyson.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:44 pm

Scunge wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:08 am
Conner is one of my dark horse resignings this offseason.

If it were me, the plan would be to draft Javonte Williams in round 1 at pick 24. If Conner signs a team friendly deal then that gives you a great 1-2 combo with hopefully Anthony McFarland developing as a speedy complement too.

Conner would be perfect in that #2 role, wouldn't have to be the bell cow. I look around the NFL and the best teams not only have a very good/great #1 HB, but also depth, a great squad overall. Why limit ourselves to JUST drafting a first round pick and calling it a day?

Some might say, hey, yeah, we should do better than Benny Snell as the #2 but why sign Conner? Can't we go after somebody else?

Well, to me, there are a number of reasons not to sign a free agent RB. One, you are probably going to spend more. Two, you may screw up your comp picks allocated next year if you sign too many free agents. And Three, Conner has experience with the team and more importantly, with Matt Canada. Canada was his OC at Pitt when they were both in college. In fact, between Conner, McFarland, Samuels and Watt, Canada has coached all 4 of them in college.

I can't help but feel that Canada would love to have Conner back as that #2 RB.

I think the most we can hope for in terms of signing our own free agents is this:

Zach Banner
James Conner
Tyson Alualu
Cam Sutton
Chris Wormley
Jordan Berry

I think Dupree, JuJu, Big Al, Feiler and Hilton are all gone.
I agree with most of this. I dont think Conner is a dark horse at all. I think they resign him.

I don’t want them too UNLESS we snag one of the top 3 RB’s in this draft. Still I sign him to a cheap deal or let him walk.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Shocked at the number of folks who would welcome Conner back.

Dude hasn’t looked good since Bell was holding out. Injuries have taken their toll and Conner spends too much time running towards tacklers instead of trying to avoid them.

No vision, lost a step and injury prone as fuck.

Ridiculous mistake if he’s back.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Dude hasn’t looked good since Bell was holding out. Injuries have taken their toll and Conner spends too much time running towards tacklers instead of trying to avoid them.

Speaking for myself...not welcoming him back, I just understand how the Steelers think. Tomlin loves him. A2 loves him. He’s a “local” guy with a feel good story. He’ll get some FA offers, but I don’t think they’ll be ridiculous money offers. The Steelers should have no problem paying him. I’ll be more shocked if he isn’t a back, but at the end of the day, not something I’m going to lose sleep over one way or the other.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:28 pm

K_C_ wrote:

If the plan is for him to be a bell cow every down back then it is a terrible idea. If they have him split carries with a high end talent then he could really be a good player for this team. He already can do all the things they want him to be good at. Him not being a homerun hitter is the one thing he lacks and he may be a numbers friendly deal for Pittsburgh.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 pm

stillthere wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:28 pm
K_C_ wrote:

If the plan is for him to be a bell cow every down back then it is a terrible idea. If they have him split carries with a high end talent then he could really be a good player for this team. He already can do all the things they want him to be good at. Him not being a homerun hitter is the one thing he lacks and he may be a numbers friendly deal for Pittsburgh.
The Conner of 2 almost 3 years ago could have been a good player mixed with a high end talent.

I argued that guy’s merits here plenty.

The current James Conner? Dude is barely ordinary at present. He’s slower than he was and Conner was never a burner.

James isn’t Bennie Snail slow, but he’s simply no longer an effective NFL running back.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Mick

Post by Mick » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 pm
stillthere wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

The Conner of 2 almost 3 years ago could have been a good player mixed with a high end talent.

The current James Conner? Dude is barely ordinary at present. He’s slower than he was and Conner was never a burner.

James isn’t Bennie Snail slow, but he’s simply no longer an effective NFL running back.
what kind of numbers do you believe a top end NFL RB would have put up in our offense this past season?

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:01 am

Mick wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 pm
stillthere wrote:

what kind of numbers do you believe a top end NFL RB would have put up in our offense this past season?
Far, far more than James Conner had.

You think Derrick Henry would have looked like Conner did?

Or Dalvin Cook?

Holy shit.

Harvey Woodlawn

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:45 am

Just to take one example at random, i seem to recall a few years ago watching the top RB in the league switch from a capable offense to a bad running team with a non-threatening pass game. He finished his first season there with 245 carries for 789 yards and 3 TDs, a 3.1 yard/carry average. Starting 4 more games than Conner.

So i have 0 confidence replacing Conner with a top back would fix our problems. I could imagine Henry looking much faster, stronger and more decisive each play on his way to getting swarmed in the backfield, but i wouldn’t expect his numbers to look better than any other all pro RB switching to a bad running offense has looked in the past 20 years.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 am

Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:45 am
Just to take one example at random, i seem to recall a few years ago watching the top RB in the league switch from a capable offense to a bad running team with a non-threatening pass game. He finished his first season there with 245 carries for 789 yards and 3 TDs, a 3.1 yard/carry average. Starting 4 more games than Conner.

So i have 0 confidence replacing Conner with a top back would fix our problems. I could imagine Henry looking much faster, stronger and more decisive each play on his way to getting swarmed in the backfield, but i wouldn’t expect his numbers to look better than any other all pro RB switching to a bad running offense has looked in the past 20 years.
I look at it a little differently. While our offensive line sucked overall in 2020, running is a mindset. We were rarely in the mindset that we were going to run the football in 2020. We often went away from the run early, because....wait for it....we had piles of shit attempting to run the football.. Play calling was obviously a major issue too. How fucking often did we go run, run, pass exactly when it was expected?

Also, I wish I had a nickel for every time in the game thread somebody wrote; "why did Conner go left into traffic, when he had daylight to his right?" or something very similar. I won't even discuss Snell. McFarland was SCARY BAD and weak as fuck. I assumed when he was drafted that he was not only going to be fast, the dude might have a little power. Willie Parker scored something like 15 TD's one year and almost all of them were inside the 5 yard line. Parker was fast as fuck and didn't have the world's greatest vision, but he was tough. He ran HARD and wasn't a pussy, even though he wasn't big. McFarland most certainly IS a pussy.

We're going to have a few changes on the offensive line next season. If we add a Javonte Williams, Michael Carter or Trey Sermon, I assure you that offensive line is going to look a WHOLE LOT BETTER in 2021, than it did in 2020.

You'll see. O-linemen aren't stupid. They know what they're blocking for and what those guys are capable of. The backs the Steelers put on the field last year weren't capable of dick.

Harvey Woodlawn

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:07 am

Last season was the worst I have seen our running game and I can't blame all of it on the RBs or James Conner.

You had an ancient QB that can barely move and doesn't want to line up under center. You had the team sign Derek Watt to one of the richest FB contracts and then not play him even when he was healthy. You had Eric Ebron become the #1 TE and he is a poor blocker. You had DeCastro have one of his worst seasons as a Pro, Feiler transitioned to Guard and had an uneven season. Pouncey was again playing on roller skates, getting no push in the run game. Big Al was the same.

And yet even with all of that, Conner was able to average 4.3 yards per carry, which is kind of extraordinary. When Kevin Dotson filled in for injuries the team did have a nasty run blocker and Conner had some of his best games of the year. This was early in the season, Conner had 3 100 yard games in a 4 game span. That first 100 yard game came against Denver with Dotson playing guard. Conner had his career long run in that game, 59 yards. Against Cleveland, well, what do you know, there is Kevin Dotson again starting at Guard and Conner again has another 100 yard game.

I fully expect the offensive line to quickly get back to being a nasty run blocking team in pretty short order. It really is not that difficult if you go with youth. Kevin Dotson is a stud, the prototypical nasty run blocker. The draft has capable run blocking centers aplenty this year, people say it isn't that strong, but I call bullshit on that. Zach Banner has the look of a very nasty Flozell Adams type of RT. You insert three new nasty run blockers on this O-line and add a legitimate blocking TE, and Conner or that shiny new 1st round RB will look much, much better.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:33 am
I wouldn’t spend a fucking dime on Chris Wormley.
He might be worth a nickel but I agree $.10 is a too much. He blows

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:44 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:07 am
Last season was the worst I have seen our running game and I can't blame all of it on the RBs or James Conner.
It was the worst rushing team in the history of the Steelers. Not one time after about week 6 did any of us (and I assume anyone on the team) believe that we would convert a 3rd and 1 while running the football unless Dotson was in.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Tyson Alualu had a wonderful season in '20, but does he offer exceptionally more than the combination of Isaiah Buggs and Carlos Davis for what he would cost?

With resources tight, salary cap space looks better put towards the first season of a multi-year deal for either Sutton or Hilton, as opposed to a player for a single year where youth is waiting behind him.

I'd agree that Wormley was a disappointment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic