Potential Free Agent Aqusitions

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Steelersfan

Re: Potential Free Agent Aqusitions

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:36 pm

BJ Finney in the house today. Signing with the Steelers, pending a physical, as depth and camp competition at center. Good & needed signing.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm

Typical. :lol:

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:04 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 pm
drmalba wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 pm
They need to admit they made a mistake and cut Ebron. They brought Ben back to attempt to make another run. Can't afford to waste money on a guy with no hands. Man up and go get someone else.
Ebron is not the biggest issue on this team, and despite the choker pedigree that he may have obtained in Detroit being reinforced by some untimely drops this year, was one of the few guys that showed up to play in the disaster at Cleveland. I would also note the last time we had a TE catch more than five TDs in a season was in 2012 when Heath got a pro bowl nod. I think as far as Colbert offseason free agent patchwork goes, i'd actually consider him a qualified success.

That said, I hope they keep an eye on TE talent in this year's draft class.
i’ve been expecting a lot more film analysis on what the hell was wrong with our run game last season.

I’ve seen screenshots on maybe 1 or 2 plays, and i see like a 4-on-2 up the middle, and our four getting pushed back a yard or so, 3 guys coming unblocked on the right, and another 3 coming from the left with just Ebron to take them (and he naturally picks the wrong one). And i’m thinking “we can’t be this bad, how is this even a play?” But im not sure if those were representative.
Point taken. He's definitely not as effective of an asset in the run game as either a healthy Old McDonald or Heath was, but i'd take it if he even ascended to the lofty heights of the Outlaw's blocking capabilities.
However, don't discount the fact that Fichtner was a bowl of lukewarm porridge when it came to scheming a run attack.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:10 pm

stillthere wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:53 am
Detroit Lions release TE Jesse James

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/1 ... ree-agency

If the money is right a 2 year deal may help this team a lot on offense. I was interested in what the Lions were going to do with him once Spielman and Motor City Dan Campbell got to town.
I can't believe that dude is still only 27 years old. Seems like he's been in the league almost 10 years for some reason. :shock:

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:09 am
Yep...BJ Finney, Jesse James, Kelvin Beacham, the ghost of Manny Sanders...hells bells, bring back Dirty Red, the Mighty Chickollo, and the Ice Cream Man while we’re at it!
Is Laundry Jones available?
Does anyone have Jarvis Jones and Ziggy Hoods number?
Jeezus! :roll:
With the first 3 names you listed. Finney will be a vet minimum salary for a guy that knows the system and can play 2 positions on the offensive line. James is still only 26 with like 5 or 6 years of NFL experience and after scooping 20 million plus may come at a team friendly number he also may not of liked the Kardasians version of the Steelers but it is quite possible he will come back to Pittsburgh gladly after dealing with Matt Patricia. Beachum would also be a vet minimum contract and I would only want him in the role of backup at both tackle positions in case of injury.

I know you are joking about the rest of the list but if the cap was just stagnant at 198 million dollars this year we would not have to talk about about bargain shopping free agents that won't count against comp picks. This is just a situation where spending up to the cap every year to try to win games and not draft position hurts the Steelers and literally nothing anyone could of planned for due to COVID.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:10 pm
stillthere wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:53 am
Detroit Lions release TE Jesse James

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/1 ... ree-agency

If the money is right a 2 year deal may help this team a lot on offense. I was interested in what the Lions were going to do with him once Spielman and Motor City Dan Campbell got to town.
I can't believe that dude is still only 27 years old. Seems like he's been in the league almost 10 years for some reason. :shock:
That is one of the reasons I think the team would want him back. It is also a reason that I think they want JuJu back because he is still only 24 with 4 years starting experience plus he does a lot of the dirty work that WR's don't like to do.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:21 pm

Chargers release guard Trai Turner, saving $11.5 million on salary cap

https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers ... salary-cap

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 pm

The reason the Steelers and any fan should want Jessie James back is because we haven't had a single TE or RB that can block (run game or pass protect) as good as him since he left. except for the 1st year of McDonald the few games he was available. JJ is at least a serviceable blocker/3rd TE. Got to be an upgrade over the not seen or heard from Gentry.

And I agree, under the CAP circumstances, perfect time/need to bring any known serviceable body back that's minimum priced .

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 pm

I guess I could be mistaken, but I don’t remember Jesse James being all that good at blocking.

Here’s my issue with recycling these borderline players. It’s lazy. Sure, they are cheap options, and we all know the Steelers are all about cheap options...especially this year. But I guarantee that there are other cheap options out there if they do their homework. Who knows, maybe they find a JAG or two that works better in their system. Does anyone really believe that James, Finney, Hassenshnitzel, etc. make the team better?
And as for “knowing the system”...I’ve been assured that there will be a new Matt Canada system installed. So knowing the system isn’t a plus.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:04 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 pm
I guess I could be mistaken, but I don’t remember Jesse James being all that good at blocking.

Here’s my issue with recycling these borderline players. It’s lazy. Sure, they are cheap options, and we all know the Steelers are all about cheap options...especially this year. But I guarantee that there are other cheap options out there if they do their homework. Who knows, maybe they find a JAG or two that works better in their system. Does anyone really believe that James, Finney, Hassenshnitzel, etc. make the team better?
And as for “knowing the system”...I’ve been assured that there will be a new Matt Canada system installed. So knowing the system isn’t a plus.
I've always felt "knowing the system" was really more like "knowing the player/person". The Steelers have always been an organization that puts more emphasis on that then most teams -- especially role players. They're risk adverse by nature. They want players to get in and fit in.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:04 pm
Jobu wrote:

I've always felt "knowing the system" was really more like "knowing the player/person". The Steelers have always been an organization that puts more emphasis on that then most teams -- especially role players. They're risk adverse by nature. They want players to get in and fit in.
No doubt. I’m just not sure that’s the best way to put together the strongest roster.
But the “Steelers Way” is the Steelers way.

And just for the record, I was actually a Jesse James fan when he was in Pittsburgh. I just don’t think he’s what this team needs right now.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Jobu wrote:

When I say the system I mean the overall structure and how things work about the facility etc. It does apply to knowing schemes and verbiage as well.
Last edited by stillthere on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:35 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:17 pm
DP39 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:04 pm
Jobu wrote:

No doubt. I’m just not sure that’s the best way to put together the strongest roster.
But the “Steelers Way” is the Steelers way.

And just for the record, I was actually a Jesse James fan when he was in Pittsburgh. I just don’t think he’s what this team needs right now.
I could see this being like the Matt Spaeth move. James may also want to sign a one year deal and get back into free agency when things are more normal both socially with Covid and fiscally with the NFL having the down cap year. It will also depend on what other TE's become available. Obviously we cannot afford Hunter Henry unless he wants to play for 2 million in Pittsburgh for no good reason. There may be some other TE's become available but James just fits with the teams M.O..

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:11 am

What about bringing Bell back on a 1 year prove it deal? There's no way anyone will give him big money again right?

Add Bell and a rookie. Lose Samuels and Conner.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:21 am

What about bringing Bell back on a 1 year prove it deal? There's no way anyone will give him big money again right?
I vote no!

Ice

Post by Ice » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:05 am

Jobu wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:21 am
I vote no!
I second that. He's likely worse than Conner at this point. RB needs addressed at the draft. We need a car with a full tank of gas, not one running on fumes.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Jobu wrote:

Matt Canada will not overhaul the system. That's why the Steelers chose him to replace Fichtner. Because he will largely retain the concepts and terminology that Ben is comfortable with. Hopefully what he will do is add a few disguises here and there and bring some better run packages/concepts to the table.
And tho the outlaw isnt the athlete or gets open like Ebron, he is a better blocker, with better hands. I think he would be a pretty good complement to Ebron, if we can afford him.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:43 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Pabst wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:59 pm
anpsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:37 pm
I don't think Spillane has even close the size to hold up at Buck. With that being said, he doesn't have the speed to play the Mack, sooo...

Maybe
He's listed as 4 lbs smaller than Vince
Yep...
6’1” 229 Spillane

6’1” 233 VW

He just needs to have a big breakfast on game days... :D
From the eyeball test, he looks a lot thinner than Vince. Spillane may be 229, but I'd guess VW is closer to 250/260

Anyway, even if Spillane puts on some muscle, he's still too slow. Cleveland abused him in coverage during the playoff game.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:27 pm

How about WR Golden Tate on a 2 year deal?

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:27 pm
How about WR Golden Tate on a 2 year deal?
we’re actually good at scouting/drafting WRs; i’ll take our chances planning around going into the season with a draft pick as #4.

We should bias our drafting toward drafting positions we draft well at and our FA money toward positions we don’t draft.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:50 pm

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Raiders are releasing Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson, source said, a surprise in Las Vegas as their O-line receives a nearly complete facelift.
2:41 PM · Mar 16, 2021·TweetDeck
Possible center?? I have no problem paying for a free agent center this year.

EDIT:

31 years old but a 1 year fill in year is doable if we don't get a stud in the draft.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 pm

stillthere wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:50 pm
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The #Raiders are releasing Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson, source said, a surprise in Las Vegas as their O-line receives a nearly complete facelift.

EDIT:

31 years old but a 1 year fill in year is doable if we don't get a stud in the draft.
Unless there is some unknown health issue, Hudson is everything Pouncey (with his fake Pro Bowls) pretended to be. Gettrdone!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 pm

DP39 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 pm
stillthere wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:50 pm
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

EDIT:

Unless there is some unknown health issue, Hudson is everything Pouncey (with his fake Pro Bowls) pretended to be. Gettrdone!
OK so you are on board. He has given up like 3 pressures in the last 3 years according to one of the analytics sites.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:21 am

Can you gain 1 yard running up the middle behind him half the time? Then he’s got my vote for president.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:43 am

Mick wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:21 am
Can you gain 1 yard running up the middle behind him half the time? Then he’s got my vote for president.
I think next year with Dotson and Banner on the left that we may be pretty good at getting a yard to the offensive left.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:54 am

I suspect Banner is penciled in at RT not LT ....
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:00 pm

Jamaal Williams to Detroit. Damn.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

steelcountry

Post by steelcountry » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:13 pm

Two guys I hope they check in on:

OLB Jordan Jenkins - we have no depth at the position, can likely get him for 3-5M per season. Before last season he was a quality pass rusher.
RB - Damien Williams - street FA so doesn't count against comp picks, would allow us not to draft a RB high.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Sports talk here in AZ is they wouldn't give Juju more than $12 mill per and he would have to come "way down" to make that happen. Wonder if he's going to get what he's looking for.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Sports talk here in AZ is they wouldn't give Juju more than $12 mill per and he would have to come "way down" to make that happen. Wonder if he's going to get what he's looking for.
It only takes one team to offer more than the rest for him to get good market value.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic