Steelers signed C B.J. Finney

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
DP39

Steelers signed C B.J. Finney

Post by DP39 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:47 pm

Steelers signed C B.J. Finney.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac said the Steelers signed Finney -- who played for Pittsburgh from 2016-2019 -- "possibly as a replacement for retired Maurkice Pouncey." Finney had been released by the Bengals last week. Thirty in December, Finney doesn't seem like a long-term solution at center for Pittsburgh. His familiarity with the team made him a natural fit following Pouncey's shocking retirement.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Mar 12, 2021, 1:00 PM ET

Business as usual for KC and the Cool Shades Band.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Championship!
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:20 pm

fuuuuuuuccckkk
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:34 pm

The guy played for two of the worst O-lines in the league last year and couldn’t get on the field...literally. Zero offensive snaps in 2020. I hope they don’t think this is the answer...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:34 pm
The guy played for two of the worst O-lines in the league last year and couldn’t get on the field...literally. Zero offensive snaps in 2020. I hope they don’t think this is the answer...

we all know they do unfortunately :roll:
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 pm

Fellatio Finney? Great.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:53 pm

JC

Please tell me this is for depth and not our new starting center

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm

If this allows them a hedge so they can draft Landon Dickerson, I am fine with it. He is better than JC Hassenauer.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm

This is what they do. Fill holes with scrubs to avg players before the draft. If said scrub or avg player doesn’t get replaced by a draft pick its all good, no holes here, they filled that shit pre-draft.

Rinse, repeat.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:22 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:47 pm
Steelers signed C B.J. Finney.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac said the Steelers signed Finney -- who played for Pittsburgh from 2016-2019 -- "possibly as a replacement for retired Maurkice Pouncey." Finney had been released by the Bengals last week. Thirty in December, Finney doesn't seem like a long-term solution at center for Pittsburgh. His familiarity with the team made him a natural fit following Pouncey's shocking retirement.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Mar 12, 2021, 1:00 PM ET

Business as usual for KC and the Cool Shades Band.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/310 ... -bj-finney

"It put a player like him in a bad situation -- he literally couldn't work out to get in shape, and he was in a funk all year because of it," a source close to Finney with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN. "This is the one time you can set yourself up for life, and if you tweak your back or do anything, you're in jeopardy of losing your contract.

Finney struggled to properly train last offseason in fear of losing a $2 million signing bonus from the Seattle Seahawks due to COVID-19 restrictions on physicals, sources told ESPN. Finney signed a two-year, $8 million deal with Seattle last March but never played an offensive down for the team, showing up to camp out of shape.

Seattle shipped him to Cincinnati as part of the Carlos Dunlap deal in October, and he didn't play there either. The core issue: With teams unable to oversee physicals last offseason due to the coronavirus outbreak, they placed clauses in contracts that failed physicals would result in forfeited signing bonus money."

The COVID year..o what a time we had!

Post by 955876 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Pouncey's shocking retirement.
I don’t see what is so shocking about a center retiring that has not only been getting manhandled at the point of attack but could not longer snap the ball with any consistency.

He literally put us in a hole within 7 seconds of our playoff game starting all because he couldn’t execute the most essential function of his job.

Was great in the past but was clearly time.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:12 pm

jewelsongs wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm
If this allows them a hedge so they can draft Landon Dickerson, I am fine with it. He is better than JC Hassenauer.
This is where I am at.

Worst case scenario is Finney and Hass being the 2 centers next season. Almost anything other than that is an improvement.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:44 am

955876 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:58 pm
I don’t see what is so shocking about a center retiring that has not only been getting manhandled at the point of attack but could not longer snap the ball with any consistency.

He literally put us in a hole within 7 seconds of our playoff game starting all because he couldn’t execute the most essential function of his job.

Was a nice way to go out...was almost settled on my couch when he launched it over Ben’s head. Hope to never see anything remotely like that again.

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:44 am

955876 wrote:

He sucked for 4 years but it wasn't talked about much , even though a novice watcher could watch his deterioration with each passing year. He had so many bad snaps because he was desparately TRYING To get to his assignment faster and he botched the snap as a result. I have a Pouncey jersey, I don't hate the guy but it was like you couldn't say anything if you didn't play oline that the Emperor had no clothes. He was the winged foot God when it came to pulling and by the end, he didn't even have that anymore. He made Pro Bowls playing like the one of the 5 or 6 worst centers in the league. It's like a local politician who is horrible at his job, getting in election after election due to name recognition alone..:)

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 am

The cynic in me might say that after they draft a center in the 2nd round, that Finney will start next to him at LG, with Kevin Dotson riding the bench, again!!!

They most likely sign Jesse James too!

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 am

Scunge wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 am
The cynic in me might say that after they draft a center in the 2nd round, that Finney will start next to him at LG, with Kevin Dotson riding the bench, again!!!

They most likely sign Jesse James too!
There are some “stupid” people out there who aren’t familiar with the Colbert M.O to sign bargain free agents to fill out the weak spots of the roster before the draft.

P.S. Finney sucks goat balls
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:14 pm

The signing of BJ Finney actually proves that the Steelers are changing their "M.O".

The past few years they would sign players for 3 years $15 million, 2 years $12 million, 2 years, $9 million, etc. Be it Morgan Burnett, Mark Barron, Donte Moncrief, Stefen Wisneski, etc. before the draft.

And these moves were costly in the sense that they could/would negatively impact the comp formula. Moncrief was let go at the very last instant and that probably enabled us to preserve that 3rd round comp pick in 2020 that became Alex Highsmith.

So, again, let us look at what the Steelers have done with this BJ Finney signing. Yes, it is before the draft, but it is a player who is a street free agent, does not impact the comp formula and will only sign a 1 year deal, probably for the vet minimum with maybe a small signing bonus, perhaps the grand total and cap hit might be $1.5 million?

How is that not an example of the Steelers changing their MO? How is that not an example of the Steelers knowing that they all have a bonanza of comp picks coming in 2022, as long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot by signing true free agents that will cancel it out??

langer

Post by langer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:32 pm

His familiarity with the team made him a natural fit following Pouncey's shocking retirement.
Did Colbert and/or Tomlin craft this sentence, an intern in the Steelers' FO?

What was so shocking about it?
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

DP39

Post by DP39 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:48 pm

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:44 am
955876 wrote:

He sucked for 4 years but it wasn't talked about much , even though a novice watcher could watch his deterioration with each passing year. He had so many bad snaps because he was desparately TRYING To get to his assignment faster and he botched the snap as a result. I have a Pouncey jersey, I don't hate the guy but it was like you couldn't say anything if you didn't play oline that the Emperor had no clothes. He was the winged foot God when it came to pulling and by the end, he didn't even have that anymore. He made Pro Bowls playing like the one of the 5 or 6 worst centers in the league. It's like a local politician who is horrible at his job, getting in election after election due to name recognition alone..:)
SWB, this is exactly what I witnessed from Pouncey the last few years of watching him closely. If you re-watch it, he was so amped up on that first play in the playoff game he literally takes a step to the left as he tries to snap the ball -- thus the terrible snap. He's trying to pull BEFORE releasing the ball.

If I had to guess, in the last few years of his career, I'd venture to say, other than hitting the weights some, he really didn't work that hard at his craft. Just did a lot of veteran skating (and talking), if you will. It's a shame too, because if he was willing to really work hard at all aspects of being a NFL center, I think he was still young enough (31) to be a good one, but he got rich, happy and lazy and then just kind of skated for years. I'll never understand the "great leader" label he got either -- never saw it in him personally.

He was way overrated, especially these last few years.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:10 pm

I like the Finney signing @Scunge , for all the reasons you mentioned, and more.

The Steelers fill a hole at an important position with a motivated veteran; Finney gets an opportunity to prove he can still play in an environment he should be very familiar with.

Had Pouncey retired last offseason, Finney might be on the roster for 3 or 4 times as much as he is now.

Post by 955876 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Had Pouncey retired last offseason, Finney might be on the roster for 3 or 4 times as much as he is now.
Fair point.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:07 am

Well, it is also a fair point to wonder how much Finney has left. He was an overaged rookie when he came into the NFL and he will turn 30 in October.

All of the injuries and problems that both Seattle and Cincy had and Finney did not see any snaps? 0 snaps all year on offense? How is that possible?

And the excuses that are being put forth, they sound lame, people are really reaching. The whole thing with him supposedly was that he had a great work ethic, was a self starter, an over achiever. He had to be that way because he didn't have the gifts, talents that you would normally see. Chris Hoke was the same way. He knew he had to put in the time, knew how to put in the time, knew he could not afford to do otherwise.

So, for me, him making excuses why he wasn't in shape, or ready to play, that sounds like something a Jamain Stephens would say, something an entitled high draft pick would say who is still on scholarship so to speak. Finney does not have that luxury, he is just a guy, a JAG, who has to work his ass off to still be on an NFL roster. Two teams gave up on him in the past year, will Pittsburgh end up being the third team to do so? We will find out.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:07 am

Hopefully Finney got a wakeup call but they are morons if they are counting on him as the starter. He should push that other stiff they just resigned off the roster. Nothing more.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:32 pm

The specifics of his contract.

Finney signed a one year deal for a grand total of $1,127,500. His base will be $990,000 and he got a signing bonus of $137,500. And the Steelers get some Veteran Salary Benefit from the CBA in signing Finney, so his cap hit was reduced by almost $700,000? From what I remember last year there were some teams that were able to use $1.25 million VSB reduction on up to two players or just use it all on one player.

Love this signing!!!

Not that I think he is a decent player or a starter at this point, but at least he is not one of these ridiculous signings that the Steelers typically do before the draft. You know signing a vet to a 2-3 year deal where he is making 4.5, 5, 6 million per season.

I hope Jesse James gets a similar one year vet minimum deal if they sign him.

But damn, look at the Steelers, not being "stupid", learning how to play the game, how to play the comp game, how to use every advantage of the CBA and the various nooks and crannies contained therein.

it is almost as if Colbert got that email of mine telling him to look over how the Cowboys signed Joe Looney last year?

Post by 955876 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Quick Scunge, send him another letting him know it’s dumb to lavish a FB with the second largest contract at his position if the coaches are only going to give him but 2 touches all season.

Especially when that 2nd touch was bout as moronic as they get.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:55 pm

955876 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm
Quick Scunge, send him another letting him know it’s dumb to lavish a FB with the second largest contract at his position if the coaches are only going to give him but 2 touches all season.

Especially when that 2nd touch was bout as moronic as they get.
Too late...already restructured.
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... 1-nfl/amp/
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 pm

I prefer to think (hope) that TJ and Colbert have some gentleman's handshake, an agreement, that if the Steelers signed his brother that TJ would go easier on his demands for his next contract.

I also hope that Canada, who coached Derek Watt in college at Wisconsin, is able to get more out of Derek as a fullback. I still can't help but shake my head that while with the Chargers, Watt averaged over 15 yards a catch on his 10 catches. The potential is there for him to add a few wrinkles to the offense. We will see.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:16 pm

Gotta pull up my imaginary cowboy boots.
The bullshit is gettin' thick

The signing of BJ Finney is not some new found epiphany by Colbert to garner more comp picks.

If it works out that way then great, but Colbert isn’t sitting in his office trying how to wrangle an extra 7th round pick for 2022.
He’s got MUCH bigger fish to fry (Have you seen the list of Steelers’ free agents?)

The contract signed by Finney is so team friendly because he’s not a quality football player, not because Colbert structured it that way for future comp picks.

Its cheap because they can only afford cheap

Finney and every other JAG in the league knows that the market is flooded with players looking for contracts from a large list of Covid cap strapped teams so Finney wisely jumped at the offer.

Colbert will try to sign as many of his guys past and present as he can. That’s what he does.

He gives two shits about comp picks because thanks to Covid and a low cap he's already set up to get a pretty nice haul.

Finney got paid his market value. it wasn’t some comp pick light bulb moment by Colbert.

The tight Covid chaos salary cap and his laundry list of team free agents is why Colbert and the Steelers make out this year with comp picks not because he brilliantly signed a JAG hole filler like BJ Finney to a vet minimum deal.
Last edited by Steeldrama on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:33 pm

Scunge wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:07 am
Well, it is also a fair point to wonder how much Finney has left. He was an overaged rookie when he came into the NFL and he will turn 30 in October.

All of the injuries and problems that both Seattle and Cincy had and Finney did not see any snaps? 0 snaps all year on offense? How is that possible?

And the excuses that are being put forth, they sound lame, people are really reaching. The whole thing with him supposedly was that he had a great work ethic, was a self starter, an over achiever. He had to be that way because he didn't have the gifts, talents that you would normally see. Chris Hoke was the same way. He knew he had to put in the time, knew how to put in the time, knew he could not afford to do otherwise.

So, for me, him making excuses why he wasn't in shape, or ready to play, that sounds like something a Jamain Stephens would say, something an entitled high draft pick would say who is still on scholarship so to speak. Finney does not have that luxury, he is just a guy, a JAG, who has to work his ass off to still be on an NFL roster. Two teams gave up on him in the past year, will Pittsburgh end up being the third team to do so? We will find out.
Not gonna disagree with anything above but one of those teams that also decided that he was a wise 8 million dollar investment not that long ago.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:41 pm

Scunge wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 pm
I prefer to think (hope) that TJ and Colbert have some gentleman's handshake, an agreement, that if the Steelers signed his brother that TJ would go easier on his demands for his next contract.

I also hope that Canada, who coached Derek Watt in college at Wisconsin, is able to get more out of Derek as a fullback. I still can't help but shake my head that while with the Chargers, Watt averaged over 15 yards a catch on his 10 catches. The potential is there for him to add a few wrinkles to the offense. We will see.
It is almost bizarre the way Canada has roots in the RB room of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Watt, Conner, Samuels and McFarland all played under him in college I think.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic