Vaccination / Stadium attendance question

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Thrillsseeker

Vaccination / Stadium attendance question

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm

I heard today the Bills are requiring proof of vaccination to attend Bills games this season.

Anyone hear anything on Heinz Field doing this too?

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm
I heard today the Bills are requiring proof of vaccination to attend Bills games this season.

So far as I have heard and seen after the Bills made the announcement the Governor of NY said that what the Bills said is not set in stone. I have not heard anything about Heinz Field. Goodell also said he plans on full stadiums for the whole league this upcoming season (about a week or so ago).

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm

hopefully they all do it......and everywhere else
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:38 pm

The vaccination card thing is a pretty hot topic nationally, and has, as with everything, become a political football. Pretty sure it's up to individual states to decide which way to go on them. Florida has already said they don't matter for anything. Not sure, but I think what was said was vaccinators shouldn't even issue them anymore, but that's Florida. Your results may vary. Should hopefully be ironed out by the fall.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:52 pm

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'll say it anyway.

The earliest possible game at Heinz Field next season is the weekend of August 14th. At that point, vaccines in PA will have been available to all adults for over 4 months. If you haven't gotten your shot by that point, it's your own goddamn fault and you assume all risk.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:04 pm

The efficacy of the vaccine has been called into question, so I expect this political football to be kicked around at least until the fall. Some suggesting life back to normal by then if not sooner, others not until next year. Or later. /shrug

My father lived through the advent of TV after radio, a world war, the second vatican council (if you care about that shit), the fall of the Iron Curtain, the civil rights movement in the US, and the digital revolution.

At least I can say on my gravestone I survived C19. If I do. :roll:
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 pm

Isn't this all going to come down to money? What's going to put asses in seats and dollars in the concessions more? Proof of vaccination or not? Maybe some state legislatures force businesses to operate in a certain way, but that might not stand in the courts, don't know.

In no way am I trying to be political here: I think those who don't want the vaccine are compared to those who do a very small minority. The majority might prefer proof of vaccination. If so, I'm guessing owners will want proof.

Could be way off on my guess, here. Not endorsing a position, just guessing (= making it up). Let's keep it frosty.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 pm
In no way am I trying to be political here: I think those who don't want the vaccine are compared to those who do a very small minority. The majority might prefer proof of vaccination. If so, I'm guessing owners will want proof.
Some people literally can't get vaccinated.

I don't have much of an opinion on vax cards, although I'd be in favor if it means I don't have to wear a mask (but that seems unlikely). But I'm reasonably certain the govt can't force people to get stuck with a needle, outside of govt properties/buildings.

Private companies are a different story. Although that opens a can of worms over potentially discriminating against people based on their medical history. You can't even ask the question, so not sure how the courts will maneuver around that issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm

I don't have much of an opinion on vax cards, although I'd be in favor if it means I don't have to wear a mask (but that seems unlikely). But I'm reasonably certain the govt can't force people to get stuck with a needle, outside of govt properties/buildings.

Private companies are a different story. Although that opens a can of worms over potentially discriminating against people based on their medical history. You can't even ask the question, so not sure how the courts will maneuver around that issue.
I am with you on all of that. Big old confusing jumble of shit to sort out as far as the legal ramifications or legality of the idea at all.

I got my first shot on Tuesday and the next jab is May 4th. I am living in DC and am pretty sure citizens will need the card to move about freely when the city and economy open back up. I'm getting the shots pretty much for the purpose of having that little piece of paper (my walking papers if you will).

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 pm

I’m not interested in getting any of the shots.

If I can’t attend football games or eventually fly domestically, I may have to consider it but right now, I’m a hard pass.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 pm

If I can’t attend football games or eventually fly domestically, I may have to consider it but right now, I’m a hard pass.
This is where I would be but knowing where I live and how decisions are made here. I opted to go ahead and get the multi-pass.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
What's your reasoning?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:11 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
What's your reasoning?
Personal preference.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:
What's your reasoning?

Don't want to speak for Thrill, but when you combine absurd, sensationalist BS like this from the media with public health officials saying you need to mask up and socially distance even if vaccinated, I honestly can't blame people for saying 'fuck it, I'll wait'.

*edit: Looks like the NY Post took down their story about the college student who died the day after getting vaccinated (which you had to get to the 4th paragraph before they admitted there was no evidence the vaccine had any role in his death). Progress, i suppose.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Thrillsseeker wrote:
What's your reasoning?
Personal preference.
That's not an explanation of your reasoning. It's a statement that you have a preference, but not an explanation for the preference—an explanation for the preference would be your reasoning.

Just practicing logical hygiene.

If I were you, I wouldn't give your reasoning if you actually have any. No good will come of it. :D
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
What's your reasoning?
Personal preference.
That's not an explanation of your reasoning. It's a statement that you have a preference, but not an explanation for the preference—an explanation for the preference would be your reasoning.

If I were you, I wouldn't give your reasoning if you actually have any. No good will come of it. :D
I’m thinking that was his polite way of saying...
Nunya
As in nunya bizness. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:32 pm

Zero deaths from the vaccine gonna be over 600,000 dead by August from Covid....not to mention millions who had it and survived but will have lifelong respiratory issues

Yet some think the vaccine is worse

:roll: :roll:
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:27 am

Jobu wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 pm
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:

Personal preference.

I’m thinking that was his polite way of saying...
Nunya
As in nunya bizness. :lol:
👍🏻👍🏻

It’s why I left it at a personal preference. I don’t need to explain anything and as noted wouldn’t be worth it. It would spiral into all of us fans of our team hating each other and spewing hate. This board like the rest of the world needs more positivity and less hate.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:31 am

Thrillsseeker wrote:

:lol:
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:48 am

K_C_ wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:31 am
Thrillsseeker wrote:

You’re awesome.

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:56 am

Took my daughter to Walgreens and got our 1st shot of the Pfizer vaccine today.

Figured it's a risk/reward type of thing.

Felt like the reward of not catching/transmitting COVID was greater than the risk of complications.

There are plenty of people that don't plan on getting the shots. My wife has been helping seniors with vaccinations. She said the complexes are ranging somewhere between 40% to 60% that decide to get it.

Some people may weigh things differently.
Shawn Lynch
@MoneyLynch
·
10h
Whole convo with Dr. Fauci droppin on http://YouTube.com/MarshawnLynch at 12pm. This discussion isn’t to tell y’all what to do or not do, there’s no hidden agendas, just wanted to get us educated so when it’s your time to make that call for you and yours.
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:32 am

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:48 am
You’re awesome.
Yeah, KC single-handedly spiked shares of Depends

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:02 am

beerbrother wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:56 am
She said the complexes are ranging somewhere between 40% to 60% that decide to get it.

Some people may have "alternate data". The real data is pretty clear - there is not a statistically rational reason not to get vaccinated

Now throughout this debate, I've been labeled left and right-wing. And I'm not political, I just follow the actual science (which can be confusing for people that get their science from politicians).

Ice

Post by Ice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 am

Pretty glad polio got eliminated before the internet.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:08 am

Kodiak wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:02 am
beerbrother wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:56 am
She said the complexes are ranging somewhere between 40% to 60% that decide to get it.

Some people may have "alternate data". The real data is pretty clear - there is not a statistically rational reason not to get vaccinated

Now throughout this debate, I've been labeled left and right-wing. And I'm not political, I just follow the actual science (which can be confusing for people that get their science from politicians).
But most people are not actuated primarily by reason in their decisions.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:09 am

Ice wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 am

A+ stuff, Ice.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 am

Thrillsseeker wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:31 am
Thrillsseeker wrote:

Oh I know.

You’re awesome.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:43 am

Kodiak wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:32 am
Thrillsseeker wrote:
You’re awesome.
Yeah, KC single-handedly spiked shares of Depends
Sick trailer park burn right there!

Harvey Woodlawn

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:29 pm

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:09 am
Ice wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:04 am

A+ stuff, Ice.

My mother frequently talks about how this pandemic reminds her of polio. She acts like Covid is no big deal and had no issues getting the vaccine.
Thanks to the polio vaccine, dedicated health care professionals, and parents who vaccinate their children on schedule, polio has been eliminated in this country for more than 30 years. This means that there is no year-round transmission of poliovirus in the United States.

Since 1979, no cases of polio have originated in the U.S.
However, the virus has been brought into the country by travelers with polio. The last time this happened was in 1993.

https://www.cdc.gov/polio/what-is-polio/polio-us.html
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic