Tomlin inks 3 year extension

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Jobu

Re: Tomlin inks 3 year extension

Post by Jobu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:38 pm

The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win...
Sure... :roll:

“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm

If the steelers go deep in the playoffs, who here will eat crow?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Bernie Madoff Jr.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 pm

KCSteeler wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm
Championship.

Oh, wait.
I don't know how that wasn't the first post in the thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm
I've been waiting to eat my crow for a good 5-6 years. I'm fucking starving over here.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Gladly, but...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:38 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win...
Sure... :roll:
I think the NFL and ESPN will really push for Ben to get another ring in his last year :lol:

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:22 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Eat it? I'll toss its salad.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Isn't part of sports fandom waiting for the ultimate prize?

It's like the sense of entitlement is on steroids. Scratch that, Mutated by solar radiation.

I should turn my sun avatar back on. . .
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm
2 teams play in the AFCC every year, so once every 8 years would be dead average.

But I do like how you subtly lowered the bar of expectation to simply a "deep playoff run"....as if even you know saying "if he wins a SB" would have been LOL ridiculous.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
I've been waiting to eat my crow for a good 5-6 years. I'm fucking starving over here.
😂😂😂
I just busted out laughing reading that. Gladly, I wasn’t chewing or taking a drink at the time.

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Most overrated NFL coach in my life time.

Another 3 years... Yay.

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:49 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:25 pm
:lol:

Two things you're stuck with in life. Herpes and Tomlin.

Tomlin is a regular season merchant. Such a stupid and safe decision by Rooney.

EDIT: He's a first 3/4 of a season merchant.
he's an 8 win merchant.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm

COR-TEN wrote:

It's like the sense of entitlement is on steroids. Scratch that, Mutated by solar radiation.

Fuck this noise. It isn't so much the size of the drought. Look, only one team wins every year. We embrace that.

It is the all too predictable mishaps by Tomlin that cost his teams chances. Punting in that situation was a fireable offense. Full stop. But the maddening thing is that punting in that situation isn't an aberration but simply the worst manifestation of Tomlin's god awful football gut instincts.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

Fuck this noise. It isn't so much the size of the drought. Look, only one team wins every year. We embrace that.

It is the all too predictable mishaps by Tomlin that cost his teams chances. Punting in that situation was a fireable offense. Full stop. But the maddening thing is that punting in that situation isn't an aberration but simply the worst manifestation of Tomlin's god awful football gut instincts.
Maybe you should change your fandom to the browns, or the dolphins, lions, or the chargers. Go fer it.

Minkah'n Big Plays

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Texas Black & Gold wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:22 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.
How can you be so optimistic with this guy's results?

I don't get it.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Tomlin's biggest accomplishment as the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers was to convince the Rooney's to change the standard from championships to mediocrity. Best salesman in the history of the NFL.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

blu

Post by blu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm

This makes sense of it.

https://youtu.be/t8tdmaEhMHE

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:49 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:20 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:57 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

Maybe you should change your fandom to the browns, or the dolphins, lions, or the chargers. Go fer it.
What a silly response. I fear that in five years, our team will be like the Browns, Dolphins, Lions, or Chargers.

Look -- I am fine not being flashy in the offseason. I am fine building through the draft. I am fine having consistency. But after awhile, it becomes obvious when a particular player or coach just isn't working anymore. We are at that stage.

What makes you think firing Tomlin (or at least not extending) would turn us into the Browns, Dolphins, Lions, or Chargers?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:52 pm

You mindless cretins. It's obvious the plan is to trade Tomlin to move-up and draft Williams.

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Minkah'n Big Plays wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:55 pm
The fans are going to will this team to a playoff win If they are allowed back into Heinz Field this year. Tomlin will have the players in position to win. I am hoping Ben and company can bring it home one more time.

I don't get it.
A long time ago (Feb 6, 2011) and a few times since, I wanted a new coach for the team. So I understand those that want him gone, I really do. But over time, Tomlin has grown on me. He seems to always have competitive teams and players that play hard. I can't say that for the basement dwellers of the league or most other teams. I prefer to support those on the team that are trying rather than getting all worked up over things that I can not control. Yes I would like to see the Steelers win the Lombardi again. But I am not ready to blame the lack of success on one person. Perhaps when Ben hangs it up or there is a clear alternative to Tomlin or a natural transition I will be ready for the change. I didn't like seeing Cowher or Noll leave either. Hope that makes sense.
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
2 teams play in the AFCC every year, so once every 8 years would be dead average.

But I do like how you subtly lowered the bar of expectation to simply a "deep playoff run"....as if even you know saying "if he wins a SB" would have been LOL ridiculous.
LOL. Work with me here, fellas. Work with me.

But I will say you should be all satiated if (!) the steelers win the SB. Should be enough crow for a few years, yes? With thyme, carrots and potatoes.

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm

I don't get it.
A long time ago (Feb 6, 2011) and a few times since, I wanted a new coach for the team. So I understand those that want him gone, I really do. But over time, Tomlin has grown on me. He seems to always have competitive teams and players that play hard. I can't say that for the basement dwellers of the league or most other teams. I prefer to support those on the team that are trying rather than getting all worked up over things that I can not control. Yes I would like to see the Steelers win the Lombardi again. But I am not ready to blame the lack of success on one person. Perhaps when Ben hangs it up or there is a clear alternative to Tomlin or a natural transition I will be ready for the change. I didn't like seeing Cowher or Noll leave either. Hope that makes sense.
Stop being reasonable. NO REASON ALLOWED I THIS THREAD!
#killtomlin
/sarca

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 pm

I don't get it.
:lol:
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Stillerz Bar

Post by Stillerz Bar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Seriously, did anyone think Tomlin was leaving before Ben?

To me the REAL question is, what will Mike do when Ben retires? To be fair, his absolute best coaching was the year Ben went down ..... though they still managed to collapse at the end after having a real shot at the playoffs, getting that far with Mason & Duck was quite an accomplishment.

Back to my initial point though, when Ben retires will Mikey:

A) Run away knowing Ben was a master at pulling out wins that could have easily gone the other way, time and time again.

or

B) Actually believe he is a genius and try to prove it without the HOF QB he has relied n his entire career.

If the team does good to great between now and when Ben retires, he might have a shot at the HOF by leaving then. Before I get chastised too much, remember that his career coaching numbers are fairly similar to incoming HOF Coach Field Goal Bill Cowher.

Tomlin
Reg season 145-78-1 (.650)
Playoffs 8-8 (.500)
AFCC 2-1
SB 1-1

Cowher
Reg season 149-90-1 (.623)
Playoffs 12-9 (.571)
AFCC 2-4
SB 1-1

Each coach had their plusses and minuses and I agree it was time for the Chin to go when he did - he simply lost the desire to go all in after he finally grabbed the brass ring with the Championship in Detroit. But seriously, very few people thought he would eventually get a Gold Jacket when he left the team but time heals a lot of wounds and the numbers are what ultimately got him in.

If Tomlin manages to go 2 more years "without a losing record" and then both he and Ben retire, he'd have a minimum of 159 wins with less than 100 losses, 2 AFCCs and a SB Championship - several years down the road that could look pretty enticing to the committee. Heck, no matter how folks on this site feel, even now much of the media dubs him a top tier coach.

On the other hand, sticking around post Ben could be either good or bad for him. On one hand if as much of this board believes, he fails miserably once he has no Ben to bail him out, his reputation could take a significant hit. On the other hand, if he manages a few unlikely runs in the playoffs, it could make him look even better.

If I were him I'd leave after Ben retires as my guess is that he won't improve his reputation with his body of work post Ben.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 am

Stillerz Bar wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 pm
Seriously, did anyone think Tomlin was leaving before Ben?

To me the REAL question is, what will Mike do when Ben retires? To be fair, his absolute best coaching was the year Ben went down ..... though they still managed to collapse at the end after having a real shot at the playoffs, getting that far with Mason & Duck was quite an accomplishment.

Back to my initial point though, when Ben retires will Mikey:

A) Run away knowing Ben was a master at pulling out wins that could have easily gone the other way, time and time again.

or

B) Actually believe he is a genius and try to prove it without the HOF QB he has relied n his entire career.
I don't believe that Mike Tomlin is sitting there saying "God, I suck. I'm sure glad Ben was there all those times to save my ass, I better get out of Dodge as soon as he retires!" I'm sure Mike will continue coaching after Ben is gone. I think he'll field competitive teams, but if he starts cranking out losing seasons, he'll eventually quit or get fired.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 am

Never ending nightmare I can’t wake up from

I will celebrate Tomlin’s dismissal (his terms or shit canned, doesn’t matter) like we won the SB

Can’t stand looking at that dumbass anymore

To think he will potentially roam our sidelines for the next 3 years and “tip his fucking hat” to our opponents who out-scheme and out coach this idiot makes me sick.

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:14 am

Stillerz Bar wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Tomlin
Reg season 145-78-1 (.650)
Playoffs 8-8 (.500)
AFCC 2-1
SB 1-1

Cowher
Reg season 149-90-1 (.623)
Playoffs 12-9 (.571)
AFCC 2-4
SB 1-1
Interesting.

Tomlin
Regular Season Games: 224 (14 Seasons)
Playoff Games: 16
Total # of Games: 240
Avg # Games/Season: 17.1
Total # Lost: 86
Avg # Lost/Season: 6.1

Cowher
Regular Season Games: 240 (15 Seasons)
Playoff Games: 21
Total # of Games: 261
Avg # Games/Season: 17.4
Total # Lost: 99
Avg # Lost/Season: 6.6

It appears that while Cowher won more playoff games he had a slightly higher average of losses per season. So we suffered watching the games with Cowher at coach slightly more that Tomlin. If that is actually possible.
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 am

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm
If the steelers make it deep into the playoffs this year, does it change anybody's mind?

I doubt it.
If they go deep into playoffs you are talking about AFCCG or Superbowl? Then you have to figure out if Ben is back as well that would mean the team is clicking and playing well. I would like to have that be our problem unless Ben wants to go out on top and they win the Superbowl this upcoming season and he retires a legend like Elway (his idol) or Bettis.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 am

I don't get it.
I am his biggest fan today. I hope he wins a superbowl this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic