Pens vs Bruins (4/27/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Bruins (4/27/21)

Post by Pabst » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Great news everyone! A key contributor returns for the Pens tonight.........MIKE LANGE!!!!

Geno and Gaudreau both practiced this morning in non-contact jerseys.

Lines from practice are unchanged. Jarry starts in net:
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Carter-Zucker
ZAR-Blueger-Kapanen
Sceviour-Jankowski-Rodrigues

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Ceci
Pettersson-Marino

The other big item for today: The Pens clinch a playoff spot with a win and a Rangers loss in regulation. The Rags are at home vs Buffalo tonight, so don't get too hopeful.

The Islanders play the Caps tonight, so root for no OT. In other Caps' news, Ovechkin is not skating and will miss tonight's game. His status for the Caps/Pens games this week is still up in the air.

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:38 pm

Michael, Michael, motorcycle!!
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:44 pm

Just heard this
Pens GAA for March was 1.81

I know he isn't getting any mention for the Norris but Letang is having a Norris kind of year. Funny thing, turncoat Mike Rupp just mentioned this.

It was something like a million years ago, me and a good friend saw Lange at the Decade. He was standing there all by himself so we went over and he was very receptive towards us. I don't remember the convo so much because I was nearly as drunk as Lange was.

I haven't looked it up but Malkin has missed more games to injury this year(21 and counting) than Ovie has in his career.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm

Does anyone have a link I can watch from my iPhone?
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:19 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm
Does anyone have a link I can watch from my iPhone?
sports urge dot net should have a collection of streams to pick from.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 pm

Rask drives me nuts, he almost always plays very well against the Pens.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 pm

Rask was good in all areas in the first.

Oddly the Pens were out shot even though they had 2PP to none for the Bruins.
The Bruins were much sharper in the neutral zone in the first and the Pens only really had one odd man break.

Getting killed on FO's.

It looks like the Bruins are going after Letang as well.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 am

There is enough time left
Funny, Steelers exercise the 5th year option on Fitzpatrick and the sandboexes gather more piss here

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:45 am

7:00 practices are killing my Pens viewing. Fucking covid.

Boston is the one team I don't want Round 1

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:13 am

Just chatting with a friend - he said the Pens were getting out-muscled for most of the game. That a fair assessment?

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:44 pm
Just heard this

I know he isn't getting any mention for the Norris but Letang is having a Norris kind of year. Funny thing, turncoat Mike Rupp just mentioned this.

It was something like a million years ago, me and a good friend saw Lange at the Decade. He was standing there all by himself so we went over and he was very receptive towards us. I don't remember the convo so much because I was nearly as drunk as Lange was.

I haven't looked it up but Malkin has missed more games to injury this year(21 and counting) than Ovie has in his career.
The Decade was a fun spot, and was booking some very good bands during my time at Pitt. moe. played there, Jerry Joseph, Keller, I think SCI and Leftover, as well. Still loved the Graffiti as a venue best of all, but that's a pretty easy one. All gone now, sadly. Small music venues in Pittsburgh: not what they used to be. Did Laga survive the pandemic? Acoustics like a middle school gym, but they were about all that was left in Oakland.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:45 am

Quit arguing with fools who just want to argue.

Rask scares me over a full series. Not to mention FO's which the Pens struggle mightily against the Bruins.

Pabst wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:13 am
Just chatting with a friend - he said the Pens were getting out-muscled for most of the game. That a fair assessment?
Fair assessment.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am
fractalsteel wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:44 pm
Just heard this

The Decade was a fun spot, and was booking some very good bands during my time at Pitt. moe. played there, Jerry Joseph, Keller, I think SCI and Leftover, as well. Still loved the Graffiti as a venue best of all, but that's a pretty easy one. All gone now, sadly. Small music venues in Pittsburgh: not what they used to be. Did Laga survive the pandemic? Acoustics like a middle school gym, but they were about all that was left in Oakland.
Ice,
I'm not sure about the music scene in Pittsburgh but I have a friend who did sound at a club and hasn't worked in over a year. Covid sucks

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 pm

Music venues all over the country, man. Particularly the small ones, where bands can get their start touring and build a following, are closing and probably not coming back. Hopefully there's a comeback, but it's definitely sad. Leaves a hole in the whole system, too.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm
Pabst wrote:

Sorry can't help myself :lol:

And just to clarify - I coach track during the Spring/Summer, and this season our practices have been bumped to 7:00 (central) to avoid conflict with other sports. At this point I can only watch about 15 minutes of any Tuesday/Thursday game.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:15 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Pabst wrote:

And just to clarify - I coach track during the Spring/Summer, and this season our practices have been bumped to 7:00 (central) to avoid conflict with other sports. At this point I can only watch about 15 minutes of any Tuesday/Thursday game.
Take a laptop, go to sports surge dot net. Select the Pens game (home feed) and connect to your TV with an HDMI cable (or airplay). You can pause it and watch later, just like a DVR. Not sure how long it's good for, but I've started watching a few hours late many times with no problem.

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to post or read here in real-time if you watch it this way -- which is why I don't. But you can watch the complete game in about 75 minutes, rewinding/pausing/forwarding however you like.

If you have the technology for this set-up it's very enjoyable and saves a ton of time. Hope this helps.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 pm

DP39 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:15 pm
Pabst wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm
fractalsteel wrote:

Take a laptop, go to sports surge dot net. Select the Pens game (home feed) and connect to your TV with an HDMI cable (or airplay). You can pause it and watch later, just like a DVR. Not sure how long it's good for, but I've started watching a few hours late many times with no problem.

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to post or read here in real-time if you watch it this way -- which is why I don't. But you can watch the complete game in about 75 minutes, rewinding/pausing/forwarding however you like.

If you have the technology for this set-up it's very enjoyable and saves a ton of time. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I actually subscribe to NHL TV since I'm not in the Pens market, so i can get games on my phone anyway.

The issue is that it's tough to check your phone while doing interval drills with a bunch of middle school & jr high kids. I coach distance and we do 1500m and 3000m. Most of my time is spent teaching them how to pace themselves, so i usually run with them.

Kids pretty much fall into 2 groups:
- Go balls-to-the-wall out of the gate and are blown up by the third lap.
- Hang back to the point where they can't catch up to the leaders

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 pm

Sure. For me it's really about time saving/management more than anything.

Cool; good luck with the track kids. I coached girls club soccer for 15 years. I admire those kids that can run distances well with the dedication it requires. We have a close family friend that runs for UVA. Last I heard he's running right at about a 4 minute 1500m and in the low 1:50's for the 800m, I believe.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:33 am

DP39 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 pm
Sure. For me it's really about time saving/management more than anything.

Cool; good luck with the track kids. I coached girls club soccer for 15 years. I admire those kids that can run distances well with the dedication it requires. We have a close family friend that runs for UVA. Last I heard he's running right at about a 4 minute 1500m and in the low 1:50's for the 800m, I believe.
Those are incredible times....although if you're running at an elite D1 school I guess you need to be that fast :lol:

I have a ton of respect for anyone who can run the 800 at a high level. That distance is freakin brutal.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:16 pm

@Pabst
I once ran a personal best 1:57 800m at the west Penn track club meet at Pitt. I won. Nowadays guys are running 1:40s and stuff. I’ll bet HS kids run sub 2min

I ran a 4:19 mile in a road race that year in Pickerington OH that was a loop around the track and then uphill around to the elevation of the top of the stands. I didn’t realize how jacked I was—that was way too fast and all that was left was waiting to crash and burn, which I did to 10th. I couldn’t believe it when I went through the 1mi checkpoint and he said the time. This was long before Apple watches and so on.

I ran in the Keystone State Games that year and finished 7th in the mile. Ran a smarter race but the bear jumped on my back in the next to last turn.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm

@bradshaw2ben Damn, dude, I didn't know you had those kind of wheels!

The best kid I've had (so far) did the 2 mile in just over 9 minutes. The little traitor is running cross country at KU currently.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:08 pm

I have big respect for guys who can run distance, I'm just not built that way or of the mindset.
My best sport(s) involved being 3 or 4 feet from my opponent.
Hard to punch/kick an opponent from 40 yards out. And I'll be damned if I'm going to run an opponent down from 100M to slap a choke on them. :lol:

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:16 pm
@Pabst
I once ran a personal best1:57 800m at the west Penn track club meet at Pitt. I won. Nowadays guys are running 1:40s and stuff. I’ll bet HS kids run sub 2min

I ran a 4:19 mile in a road race that year in Pickerington OH that was a loop around the track and then uphill around to the elevation of the top of the stands. I didn’t realize how jacked I was—that was way too fast and all that was left was waiting to crash and burn, which I did to 10th. I couldn’t believe it when I went through the 1mi checkpoint and he said the time. This was long before Apple watches and so on.

I ran in the Keystone State Games that year and finished 7th in the mile. Ran a smarter race but the bear jumped on my back in the next to last turn.
Lol B2B...I had a similar experience. Way back in my “youth”, I was a regular on the local road racing circuit. I was doing a 5K in conjunction with my hometowns street festival. Now this was back in the day that running was all the craze and folks would actually line the streets to watch. Being that this race was being held in my tiny hometown, I trained extra hard, wanting to make a good impression in front of friends and family.
The race begins and the 3 favorites immediately jump out front. There was a pack of 7-8 runners about 10-15 yards behind...I was with that pack and to be honest, feeling very good. We hit the 1 mile point, and the young lady calling out the splits yells...5 minutes...5:01...5:02... :shock: My first thought...holy crap, you can’t run this fast! Yep...crash and burn. :lol:
I maintain to this day, that had I not heard that split, I would’ve smashed my PR that day. Well...That’s my story and I’m sticking with it. ;)
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Yeah, that is exactly like my story.

The pinnacle of my bike racing and running "career" was I won a bike race in Connecticut on a Thursday night and I finished 2nd out of 13,500 in the Manufactuers Hanover 8K in Central Park on Tuesday. It's pretty much all about how fit you are and having a good day... I didn't do anything especially dramatic in either race... just was on good form. I might have won the running race but the guy I was running with the whole race pissed me off and I tried too hard to beat him in the sprint. (backstory: a giant rat ran out in between us and the support moto and I nearly tripped over it running full speed. I laughed because, I mean, come on... the other guy was like, "Be serious... we're RACING here!" I found that irritating.) I went a little bit early and too hard down the stretch. He caught me at the line.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:21 pm

Never won a race, the best I ever did was 3rd at a small (about 100-120 runners) 5K in West Alexander Pa. I actually led a good portion of the race until the eventual winner passed me just past the 2 mile mark and steadily pulled away. The second placer passed me with about 200 meters to go and held off my “kick”...well, what was left of it.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 pm

I've won a few local 5k, but nothing special. Being in a major college town, I get the pleasure of sharing the road with Olympic level athletes (I'm not exaggerating). My PR is 17:50 - In that same race, first and second finished at 14:10 and 14:12 - The guy that came in first qualified for the US Olympic Marathon trials. The guy who took 2nd still holds the Mizzou school record in the 10k.

On the long distance side, I was all set to hit a BQ before COVID hit and cancelled my race last April :x. I was able to head out to rural Missouri last weekend to get in my first marathon since 2019, so that was nice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic