Najee #1 - Who would have guessed?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Jobu

Re: Najee #1 - Who would have guessed?

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:14 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:56 pm
I think we're seeing the early stages of a cycle back to running games as teams have spent the past 5-10 years bolstering their defense with talent to stop the passing game.
Agreed.
By my count...In 2020, 8 of the top 12 rushing teams made the playoffs.

“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm

None of the top tier OT's were there but I think the Steelers got a good choice.
They upgraded the running back stable in a big way.

Harris> Snell

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:27 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am
I don't follow college ball, but I'm kinda surprised a top three RB prospect fell to the steelers. Especially since they really fucking need a RB. Now they need a C and OT, OLB, ILB, and CB/Safety depth. This is going to be interesting in the following days.

Oh, and fuck L Bell. I like the Harris pick.

And BTW, I didn't watch the draft but how long did they take to "run" to the podium?
Because RB are low value players at this point in a passing league.

They took 6 minutes to make the pick. We thought someone had died.
I think we're seeing the early stages of a cycle back to running games as teams have spent the past 5-10 years bolstering their defense with talent to stop the passing game.
I would question why any team would do that. The NFL is a passing league. Sure you can do well with a power running game vs lighter defenses but you still need to pass and score points in bunches. If you get a RB they need to have the potential to hit HRS when they get a chance.

It is not a bad strategy for when Ben retires to have a power running game because the Steelers will not have the passing game.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:52 pm

Don't love it, don't hate it. I would've preferred they took Jenkins but he was passed on by other OT needy teams ...so maybe something up there?

In 2nd they better hope there isn't a run on OTs.

BTW the worst pick of night? Oweh for Ravens. He is a project that looks great in gym shorts. It isn't just the 0 sacks though that is glaring, Oweh looks lost far too often. Really glad Ravens didn't take Georgia Edge.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 pm

steelclan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:52 pm

BTW the worst pick of night? Oweh for Ravens. He is a project that looks great in gym shorts. It isn't just the 0 sacks though that is glaring, Oweh looks lost far too often. Really glad Ravens didn't take Georgia Edge.
They did not take him for the same reason they did not keep Yannick Ngakoue. He does not fit their defense. He is a 9 tech or an off the ball 4-3 LB.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

ToddHaleysNineIron

Post by ToddHaleysNineIron » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Couple of thoughts from reading the constant "Need a line before you can run" commentary from nearly everywhere with regards to R1 of a 7 round draft.

The depth of draft at positions makes this an easy case. All the centers are still there, The second tier T are all still there, and even 1 or 2 of the first tier.

The running back depth was not there in this draft and I'm not talking about guys who can carry the ball - I'm talking about guys that can play 3 downs, and can be a threat to do different things.

I think the Steelers running back room, as constructed and with the addition of a 3rd or 4th rounder at the position, would continue to be a room full of guys who each have a purpose, which of course tips off opposing defenses when they see this guy come into the game versus another guy.

If I had to label the steelers offense last year - it would have been predictable, and a lot of that comes down to personnel on the field. The steelers can and will upgrade their offensive line in these next few picks, the talent is there to do that, the ability to bring in a 3 down back who can erase some of that predictability was not going to be there past this first round.
SteelerDayTrader, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Just to echo the sentiment on here:

There are 6 OTs still on the board with a 2nd round grade, as well as 3 interior lineman. There is 'one' RB, and he's likely gone before the Steelers pick. Odds of landing an offensive lineman in round 2/3 are far better than finding a quality RB after Round 1.

I get the sentiment of waiting for a RB until later in the draft, but I'll remind everyone that last year's stable was Conner (3rd), Snell (4th), McFarland (4th), and Samuels (5th).

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm

steelclan wrote:
Don't love it, don't hate it. I would've preferred they took Jenkins but he was passed on by other OT needy teams ...so maybe something up there?

Of our two biggest needs OL (more C, but also T) and ILB I still see about 8 OL and 4 ILB that that would be great-to-good value at pick #55.

Some may disagree, but this is how I see it....

JOK - ILB
Nick Bolton - ILB
Jalen Mayfield - T
Teven Jenkins - T
Dillon Radunz - T
Landon Dickerson - C
Quinn Meinerz - C
Liam Eichenberg - T
Creed Humphrey - C
Josh Myers - C
Jabril Cox - ILB
Baron Browning - ILB

yygy

Post by yygy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:59 pm

To me the value in Najee is not the workhorse back. His value is in the hands and pass pro.

If he’s the whole package which seems like he is then he’s worth a R1.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:04 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm
steelclan wrote:

Of our two biggest needs OL (more C, but also T) and ILB I still see about 8 OL and 4 ILB that that would be great-to-good value at pick #55.

JOK - ILB
Nick Bolton - ILB
Jalen Mayfield - T
Teven Jenkins - T
Dillon Radunz - T
Landon Dickerson - C
Quinn Meinerz - C
Liam Eichenberg - T
Creed Humphrey - C
Josh Myers - C
Jabril Cox - ILB
Baron Browning - ILB
I believe the Steelers second rounder is in the list you just posted. Good call. I like Creed first a very close second is Eichenberg (Jenkins and Mayfield will be gone) then Cox

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pm

stinger8 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:04 pm
DP39 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm
steelclan wrote:

JOK - ILB
Nick Bolton - ILB
Jalen Mayfield - T
Teven Jenkins - T
Dillon Radunz - T
Landon Dickerson - C
Quinn Meinerz - C
Liam Eichenberg - T
Creed Humphrey - C
Josh Myers - C
Jabril Cox - ILB
Baron Browning - ILB
I believe the Steelers second rounder is in the list you just posted. Good call. I like Creed first a very close second is Eichenberg (Jenkins and Mayfield will be gone) then Cox
I’d be happy with any one of those guys...except Radunz.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:22 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:27 pm
StillerInCT wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I would question why any team would do that. The NFL is a passing league. Sure you can do well with a power running game vs lighter defenses but you still need to pass and score points in bunches. If you get a RB they need to have the potential to hit HRS when they get a chance.

It is not a bad strategy for when Ben retires to have a power running game because the Steelers will not have the passing game.
It's a progression. If teams have spent the past decade drafting cover corners, ball hawking safeties, and coverage ILBs then they're likely susceptible to the run. It's really just exploiting weaknesses. I guess it's just the contrarian in me who thinks this way though.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:22 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Truly a disaster of a pick. Given how fungible RB is, Najee will need to be a top 3 RB for a few years to make the pick work out value wise.

Even if he is a top 3 RB, then we likely sign him to a big C2 which results in a giant cap hit when he sucks and needs to be cut in C2.

People can like the player but the value proposition at RB just isn’t there.
This is about where I am. Hate taking a RB early. After watching more tape last night I don’t hate the player as much. Particularly if the Steelers are going for broke in Ben’s closing window. Also like that the team can control Harris’ contract for 5 years and then cut bait (wouldn’t let the player sniff C2 and would take the comp pick at the end of C1), though I am skeptical the FO is shrewd enough to make that play and reset at RB in 5 years.

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:27 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Truly a disaster of a pick. Given how fungible RB is, Najee will need to be a top 3 RB for a few years to make the pick work out value wise.

Even if he is a top 3 RB, then we likely sign him to a big C2 which results in a giant cap hit when he sucks and needs to be cut in C2.

If he ends up being a top 3 running back, you get 4 years of one at roughly $3.5M per year. Seems like good value to me. Especially if we're going to be transitioning from Ben during that time. This draft is deep, so if we can get the bona fide best player at the position then I think we'll be fine. It's not like RB was a luxury pick either. It fills a big need.
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

R_S

Post by R_S » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:36 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:27 pm
StillerInCT wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I good running game makes it much easier to get splash plays from medicore throwing qbs with PA pass. How the fuck do you think Lamar Jackson had 30 some TDs in 2019. If he was running the shotgun and passing every down like Ben has the last few years he wouldnt have sniffed those kind of numbers. So yeah, having a chain moving run game will help whoever the next QB is also.

Stallworth16

Post by Stallworth16 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:46 pm

I’ve been out of the loop this off-season. I love the Najee pick of course. And I think the O-line will be alright.

I heard it mentioned elsewhere the idea of DeCastro moving to center. I doubt that happens, but what do you guys think.

Also here’s some Najee highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81iF_cAxClE

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:00 pm

Stallworth16 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:46 pm
I heard it mentioned elsewhere the idea of DeCastro moving to center. I doubt that happens, but what do you guys think.
Hard pass. Setting aside the fact that he's never played C in college or the NFL, all this does is fix one problem while creating another problem.

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:29 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:27 pm
zeke5123 wrote:

If he ends up being a top 3 running back, you get 4 years of one at roughly $3.5M per year. Seems like good value to me. Especially if we're going to be transitioning from Ben during that time. This draft is deep, so if we can get the bona fide best player at the position then I think we'll be fine. It's not like RB was a luxury pick either. It fills a big need.
Part of my problem is that we let Conner walk, and he took like 1.7M. So we could have had him and a 1st round pick to try to fix the oline, which really could use 2 blue chippers to stand a chance this season. Once we let Conner walk, it’s kinda felt to me like with our 1st we would have to choose between our running game failing this season because of the blocking and our running game failing because of the lack of talent at RB.

It’s hard for me to put into words how bad a prospect I see Najee as (partly because i’m concerned if i did certain people would try to hurt me), but even pretending he’s a reasonable prospect at #24, the comparison to me isn’t
“Would it make sense to try to upgrade RB given that Benny Snell is currently our starter?”,

The real comparison is “Would you rather have a pro bowl RB AND a 1st round pick offensive lineman, Or just a late 1st round-grade RB prospect?”

Obviously i hope i’m very wrong about this. With a competent running game, i think we would contend for a lombardi this season. If Najee brings that to us, that would solve so many issues with this team.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 pm

So what's the consensus? An average RB behind a good O line or an above average RB behind a poor O line?

I think the steelers can improve the O line before they can improve RB play. But an OC with an imaginative offense can compensate for an average to poor O line, especially with an experienced, HOF QB.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Post by 955876 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:54 pm

I good running game makes it much easier to get splash plays from medicore throwing qbs with PA pass.
Now we just need Benji to actually do some play action.

And good play action. The kind that takes a smidge of effort to sell it rather than the half ass joke of PA we do every so often.
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Should have traded down for an extra 3rd rounder.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 pm
Should have traded down for an extra 3rd rounder.
With who? What prospect was there that, say, the Bills, Bucs, or Packers would be willing to trade up to get?

franco32

Post by franco32 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Trading back and still nabbing Najee would not have worked. I heard the Dolphins tried like hell to trade up in front of us and get Najee. My guess is they would have found a way to do it if we moved back.

I'm in the club that doesn't like spending Rd 1 capital on RBs. However, Najee really is a complete back. You can pass out of run sets and run out of pass sets because he can do it all. It makes us more diversified. He's better than a broken down Conner (who is gone anyway) and he's miles better than Snell, McFarland, Samuels, or Ballage....miles better.

But, yes, we now have to hit on Oline picks...there is no way around it. Colbert drafts need more than we like to admit so I think OT and C are coming up.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:33 pm

StillerInCT wrote:
I am in this boat. LB's are losing weight to keep up with the speed of the offenses so soon a punishing run game can win a lot of football for you like Baltimore is doing now. Especially if you have a really good D.

Also I am interested in what Belichick is going to do with his TE scheme to use 12 personnel to take what ever the D is giving up depending on their adjustments and packages. If they go big you pass if they go small you run while having the same people on the field.

Similar to when Pittsburgh was one of the only teams running that 3-4 they would get edge rushers like Porter in the 3rd round because other teams had no use for the size/skill set.

SteelWIll

Post by SteelWIll » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 pm

one way to think about a RB in 1st Round or not is: a really good RB can make the overall team a lot better than one really good OL can...Having said that, I dont have an axe to grind one way or the other about a RB in Round 1....

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:09 pm

SteelWIll wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 pm
one way to think about a RB in 1st Round or not is: a really good RB can make the overall team a lot better than one really good OL can...Having said that, I dont have an axe to grind one way or the other about a RB in Round 1....
That's where I'm at. If he's peak Lev Bell with more burst, then that's a steal in R1 (assuming his peak production lasts more than 2 years).

It's also a very good point that we are going to rely on the run a lot more when we begin wandering the desert for that next great QB.

I would also point out that, even with an improved OL, we didn't have a RB in the room that can give us the consistent running game to be successful. I still think we will have a top-10 defense, and the offense (presuming a healthy Ben) is just improved OL play away from being top-10 as well. That's a championship contender (were it not coached by Mike Tomlin).

CIN and CLE aren't pushovers any more, but they also aren't going to be taken lightly by the rest of the league. They may be improved, but IMO still only 7-8 win teams.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:03 pm

I like the pick. I think he improves our roster, ability to get first downs, and score points more than any player available.

Oddly, his highlight film is a bit underwhelming and I was more impressed watching him play live games.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:16 pm

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 am

Film Study: Why the Pittsburgh Steelers Drafted Najee Harris in the First Round
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBkZQhyPHrU

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sat May 01, 2021 4:13 pm

I expect Harris will help

I can live with this ONLY because we are still trying to do something big before Ben retires and he's instant starter upgrade.

If we don't get significantly improved OL play while Ben can still sling it (assuming he still can) this pick will be a waste.

No C2 !!!!!!!!!!
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic