It is reported that Steelers extended Rudolph...

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Scunge

It is reported that Steelers extended Rudolph...

Post by Scunge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:24 am

They are keeping Rudolph, extended him another season, so he will be with the team through at least 2022.

I know many don't like him, hate him, but I think the team views him at the very least as somebody who can be that short term bridge QB until they are able to trade up into the top 5 to get that next franchise QB.

Something like $3 million for that 2022 season.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:04 am

Been trying to tell folks this for at least a year.

Now it looks like they're forced to face it.

I think the excellent game he played in Cleveland sealed it.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am

I am just really, really interested and excited to see how well Canada can develop young QBs.

Will his system, his ideas make it very QB friendly? If Ben is gone for 2022, they have Mason under contract now and if Haskins develops in 2021 they can put a 2nd round tender on him to retain him for 2022.

There are your #1 and #2 QBs and add a 3rd QB for peanuts and that 3 man QB group may only take up $7 million or less in cap space for 2022.

That is probably their plan, to do a rebuild for the next two years with Rudolph/Haskins as the bridge to our next high first round QB.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am

Scunge wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am
I am just really, really interested and excited to see how well Canada can develop young QBs.

Will his system, his ideas make it very QB friendly? If Ben is gone for 2022, they have Mason under contract now and if Haskins develops in 2021 they can put a 2nd round tender on him to retain him for 2022.

There are your #1 and #2 QBs and add a 3rd QB for peanuts and that 3 man QB group may only take up $7 million or less in cap space for 2022.

That is probably their plan, to do a rebuild for the next two years with Rudolph/Haskins as the bridge to our next high first round QB.
Rudolph now being a veteran and knowing the system, along with being a great team guy made this is a no brainer.

Haskins.....we'll see. Kid has a ton of growing up to do.

How Canada works with the young QB's most certainly is going to be interesting.

If he works wonders with Haskins, I wonder if he can jump Mason as the #2?

Because if Haskins starts looking like the guy Washington drafted, then the Steelers might not be in the market for a QB at all.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:23 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am

Could use the original round tender and get back a 1st round pick if someone decides to sign him.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:25 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 am

Because if Haskins starts looking like the guy Washington drafted, then the Steelers might not be in the market for a QB at all.
If Haskins pans out that would be a true blessing for the team and we would be able to reload next draft.

StillerInCT

Post by StillerInCT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Always nice to have a capable backup
"Work harder not smarter" - Mike Tomlin

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:32 pm

These QBs are signed for peanuts. Excellent roster management. Go for broke loading up on impact players in the waning years of Big Ben without reaching for a QB that will just sit anyways. You have young signal callers on the roster who need to prove themselves but have unquestionable pedigrees. If they pan out awesome. If not, then you can pick a QB high later after they fail. Colbert is good at his job.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 pm

No problem with him being the backup. He's not a starter. You can't fix a shitty arm.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 pm
No problem with him being the backup. He's not a starter. You can't fix a shitty arm.
I'm still on the fence as to whether he can become a capable backup. He was damn good against CLE, but how much of that was a completely different gameplan than he ran in 2019, along with the game of his life connecting on some of those passes?

If they can fix Haskins, you might have something. And I think you can still keep 1-2 vets on the PS, so they can carry Dobbs on PS to impersonate Lamar Jackson in practice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm
RemoAZ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 pm
I'm still on the fence as to whether he can become a capable backup. He was damn good against CLE, but how much of that was a completely different gameplan than he ran in 2019, along with the game of his life connecting on some of those passes?

If they can fix Haskins, you might have something. And I think you can still keep 1-2 vets on the PS, so they can carry Dobbs on PS to impersonate Lamar Jackson in practice.
To be fair, it's not like Rudolph has never been successful throwing the football before.

He was known for throwing the ball all over the field at OSU. He hasn't obviously shown to be a first round talent at the pro level, but that Cleveland game wasn't the first time in his life he dropped dimes.

I think people forget that he actually looked pretty good before that Earl Thomas hit a year prior. Did he look great? Oh hell no, but there was something to build on for sure. After that hit in 2019, dude was never the same.

Rudolph looked like what the Steelers expected him to look like vs. Cleveland and I doubt that performance wall all luck.

Dude isn't a franchise QB, but I very much expect him to turn into a quality back up.

Harvey Woodlawn

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Sat May 01, 2021 4:49 am

There isn’t a chance in hell Haskins or Rudolph are long term winning possibilities

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sat May 01, 2021 5:13 am

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm
I think people forget that he actually looked pretty good before that Earl Thomas hit a year prior.
No, you're the only person who has forgotten he never looked good.

He had a few games where he looked serviceable before defenses got film on him. He couldn't carry Tommy Maddox' jock, before or after that "Earl Thomas hit". Goodness, that's the only memorable thing a non-KC person has seen from him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:13 am
K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm
I think people forget that he actually looked pretty good before that Earl Thomas hit a year prior.
No, you're the only person who has forgotten he never looked good.

He had a few games where he looked serviceable before defenses got film on him. He couldn't carry Tommy Maddox' jock, before or after that "Earl Thomas hit". Goodness, that's the only memorable thing a non-KC person has seen from him.
He looked good in the last game he played, so……

You’re bullshitting.

:lol:

Really this doesn’t matter. He’ll be Ben’s back up this year and will likely be the bridge QB (like I’ve been saying forever) once Ben moves on to the next phase of his life.

Don’t have time to go back and forth today because you don’t like a guy that isn’t going anywhere.

Enjoy the ride.

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic