Looking ahead to the Playoffs

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
fractalsteel

Re: Looking ahead to the Playoffs

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 pm
Pabst wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:03 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:27 pm
Garrett Wilson.
We have brought in half a dozen better players to fill his spot the past few years.
Speaking of Wilson, I have a signed puck from him(lucky me) and I use it as a drink coaster.
I remember this conversation....you got the Wilson puck in your 2019 charity bag. I wound up with a Lemieux puck and a Matt Cullen autographed jersey :D

Really, the most important change since 2019 has been Zucker. Say what you want about his production/consistency....he is light years ahead of Dominik Simon. Jeff Carter is everything we hoped Bjugstad would be. Oh, funny story - Bjugstad and Bonino are both playing wing on Minnesota's 4th line.

The next big thing has been essentially swapping Kessel and Hornqvist for Kapanen and Tanev. I liked Phil and Horny when they were here.....but they were both so one dimensional. Phil was a great playmaker, but a black hole defensively. Hornqvist offered nothing when he wasn't in front of the opposing team's net (plus he's always hurt). Ultimately, the Pens sacrificed a bit on the PP, but they are now so much better 5 on 5.
You forgot the biggest change of them all.

Launching Jack Johnson into the Sun.
I haven't thought about JJ in a long time. Funny how the PK took a step back this year. Still, glad to get that wart off the team.

Pabst, that was a great haul for you. I wrote a letter of displeasure to the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation about my bounty. I suggested that they give out multiple pucks per bag and make sure that everyone of them got at least a top Penguins player ie, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, Rust, Dumo.
Never heard back from them but I still get Christmas cards from them.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu May 13, 2021 12:39 am

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 pm
You forgot the biggest change of them all.

Launching Jack Johnson into the Sun.
I was just looking at Forwards, but yes, absolutely.

A fucking traffic cone would have been an upgrade over JJ. At least it wouldn't blow it's assignment and/or turn the puck over.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 pm
Funny how the PK took a step back this year.
To be fair, injuries to Blueger, Tanev, ZAR, Kapanen, plus every defenseman at one point or another haven't helped here.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Pabst wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 am
fractalsteel wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 pm
Funny how the PK took a step back this year.
To be fair, injuries to Blueger, Tanev, ZAR, Kapanen, plus every defenseman at one point or another haven't helped here.
IMO, the one thing JJ did best was the PK. Yes, injuries cost us a consistent PK unit but in other years we have faced as many games lost and the PK didn't suck as bad as it did this year.
It better get better for the playoffs.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu May 13, 2021 4:20 pm

JUST ANNOUNCED: GAME 1 IS SUNDAY (5/16) AT NOON EASTERN

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Start the series with a nooner on NBC... well, at least we can't possibly wear our blue sweaters and really curse things :lol:
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri May 14, 2021 2:55 pm

49 hours and minutes. Or just about enough time to read tbsteels fine post about draft evaluation.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri May 14, 2021 5:22 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:55 pm
49 hours and minutes. Or just about enough time to read tbsteels fine post about draft evaluation.
That thing is a book, but it's destined for the main page. Having to wait all the way till Sunday for this thing is gonna be a bear. Wearing my Crosby sweater to work behind enemy lines here in the Philly suburb of Wilmington. Every snide comment answered with "sure, but hey, thanks for the #1 seed. Better luck next year." Crickets. Sweet, lovely crickets.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri May 14, 2021 5:51 pm

I'm pretty lucky to live in an area where (most) fanbases are pleasant to deal with. Blues, Chiefs, and Royals with a smattering of Cubs and Blackhawks (Mizzou gets alot of kids from the Chicago metro). They're all fine for the most part.

Cardinals fans suck. Easy #1 for me in terms of hated fan bases. Browns are #2 (pun intended). Both are well ahead of Caps, Flyers, Ravens, Pats.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri May 14, 2021 6:19 pm

Here's another piece of news:

Bob Pompeani
@KDPomp
On #PompAndPoni Podcast—#Penguins President David Morehouse told us @Penguins are HOPEFUL to potentially get to 100% Capacity as soon as game 5 of this first round series!! A great conversation Be sure to tune in!!! The Podcast drops at Noon. @KDKA @937theFan @Spotify

Obviously things can change over the next few weeks, but I am genuinely curious as to what will happen with the Canadian teams. They haven't played in front of fans (in any capacity) all year.....and they could be entering the Conference Finals vs. a packed house. To top that off, there is no word from the Canadian government as to whether teams will be allowed to cross the border, so they might end up at an arena for a team whose been eliminated. Could be pretty jarring for those teams.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat May 15, 2021 10:39 pm

The Bad news is well, bad.
Malkin hasn't been practicing much this week. At practice today he was on the ice but didn't participate in rushes or PP, two indicators he isn't ready to go tomorrow.
DeSmith left practice as well, more bad news.

The good news is that Tanez and Rodrigues look to be ready to go.

Lines in practice:
Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann, Carter, Kap
Zucker, Gaudreau, fishmouth
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat May 15, 2021 11:58 pm

The Haters Guide to the 2021 NHL Playoffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cSbYzT9OY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic