Effin’ Ben...

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Jobu

Effin’ Ben...

Post by Jobu » Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 am

...why isn’t he out there at OTAs? He should be working with his young WR crew, developing chemistry...getting better.
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... -otas/amp/
Oh wait!

“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu May 27, 2021 4:19 am

Getting harder and harder to find players that give a shit about winning.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Stillerz Bar

Post by Stillerz Bar » Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 am

Jobu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 am
...why isn’t he out there at OTAs? He should be working with his young WR crew, developing chemistry...getting better.
Oh wait!
Huh? Why "Effin’ Ben"? Shouldn't it be "Effin’ Ball Dropping Receivers"?

Maybe I misunderstood your post but Ben was there, it's the receivers that weren't. He was in the first still picture in the article.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/galle ... ee-harris/

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Thu May 27, 2021 7:47 am

Stillerz Bar wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 am
Jobu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 am
Oh wait!
Huh? Why "Effin’ Ben"? Shouldn't it be "Effin’ Ball Dropping Receivers"?

Maybe I misunderstood your post but Ben was there, it's the receivers that weren't. He was in the first still picture in the article.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/galle ... ee-harris/
He was being sarcastic.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu May 27, 2021 8:50 am

Well, Jobu, I get your point but when those of us who make the point that Ben and Pouncey should not have been taking vet days off every week throughout the season, year after year, that was the real point of contention.

Practice makes perfect. And practice does not end once the preseason is over. For Ben and Pouncey to take vet days off when we had a young team was ridiculous, those young players need every single rep they can get with Ben. So for Tomlin and Ben to go hey, yeah, we have a tough game against the Ravens this week but go ahead and take Tuesday or Wed off Ben, our young WRs will be fine getting reps with Mason. Right!!!!!

But hey, yeah, spin it all you want, it is all good.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am

Scunge wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:50 am
Well, Jobu, I get your point but when those of us who make the point that Ben and Pouncey should not have been taking vet days off every week throughout the season, year after year, that was the real point of contention.

Practice makes perfect. And practice does not end once the preseason is over. For Ben and Pouncey to take vet days off when we had a young team was ridiculous, those young players need every single rep they can get with Ben. So for Tomlin and Ben to go hey, yeah, we have a tough game against the Ravens this week but go ahead and take Tuesday or Wed off Ben, our young WRs will be fine getting reps with Mason. Right!!!!!

Tell me Scunge...what do you think the Steelers Wednesday “practice” consists of, and what do you think Ben is doing on those Wednesdays?
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 27, 2021 12:08 pm

Scunge wrote:

I think you're the exact demographic the sarcasm was targeted at.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Thu May 27, 2021 3:16 pm

Please use “/sarca” or ask admin to allow sarcastic comments to be written in a diff color....perhaps a nice pastel green or blue

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu May 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Cut the WR's some slack...probably had a prior commitment to finish a Tik-Tok video.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Thu May 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am
Tell me Scunge...what do you think the Steelers Wednesday “practice” consists of, and what do you think Ben is doing on those Wednesdays?
It also came out last year that a lot of teams have frequent "vet days" off....guys like Brady, Brees, etc..

And it really hasn't been an issue with Ben in past years. What had been an issue were slow starts because of clearly not enough reps in OTA's and camp. But, as we learned, his elbow was falling apart. They said he wasn't on a pitch count last year, but obviously he was.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:44 pm
Jobu wrote:
It also came out last year that a lot of teams have frequent "vet days" off....guys like Brady, Brees, etc..

And it really hasn't been an issue with Ben in past years. What had been an issue were slow starts because of clearly not enough reps in OTA's and camp. But, as we learned, his elbow was falling apart. They said he wasn't on a pitch count last year, but obviously he was.
If overblown speculation can't have a home on the internet, where can it have a home?

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu May 27, 2021 8:37 pm

vet day off is mostly a great idea......particularly for well established starters.......its a very long season
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:20 pm

Jobu wrote:
Scunge wrote:

I'll take a shot, eatin pork rinds and swillin Shasta

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 pm

I came up with Benonites to describe several but not all who are active on this thread but maybe BENablers would be more appropriate, hmmmm?

Its approaching cult like proportions, maybe BENanon?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu May 27, 2021 9:30 pm

stinger8 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 pm
I came up with Benonites to describe several but not all who are active on this thread but maybe BENablers would be more appropriate, hmmmm?

Attachments
A71CD281-5FBA-42B2-9396-0365500D9ED2.png
A71CD281-5FBA-42B2-9396-0365500D9ED2.png (4.39 MiB) Viewed 2258 times

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 27, 2021 9:40 pm

stinger8 wrote:

Would you like a cookie? It was clever the first time, less so with repetition. Also, you're missing an n.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu May 27, 2021 9:43 pm

stinger8 wrote:

Yeah...can’t figure out why Steelers fans would want to back the starting QB of the Steelers? Mind boggling... :lol:

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:45 pm

Need more tic tok time, smoking the sticky- icky.

As the great Allen Iverson said “Practice, Practice???”

Aint nobody got time for that!!

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Thu May 27, 2021 11:52 pm

stinger8 wrote:

On the other hand, do you just wait for someone to say something good about Ben so you can rush in and call them a Bennonite?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 27, 2021 11:55 pm

El Kabong wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:52 pm
stinger8 wrote:

On the other hand, do you just wait for someone to say something good about Ben so you can rush in and call them a Bennonite?
Props for the correct phonics, sir. And yes, pretty sure we can look forward to another season of it at least, until Ben retires and Stinger, KC and the Bibbertites get what they're wishing for.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri May 28, 2021 1:08 am

I am not going to use Covid as an excuse for Ben and Pouncey taking days off, that shit was happening for years.

You look at the rest of the team on offense, nothing but young players as rookies, players in their 2nd year, in their 3rd year, many that have precious little starting experience. For your two team captains, your top two veteran players on offense to just take days off each week throughout the season is bullshit, it is bush league.

That is not how you lead by example. That is not being a leader of men. All of these young inexperienced players need every single rep they can get in practice with ALL of the starters participating so that the game on Sunday ends up a win.

I have watched the offensive line decline. I have watched the running game decline. I have watched our QB turn into a dink dunk West Coast offense style pussy of a QB. I have watched our offense become soft and too finesse like, it turns my stomach.

Yes, you can blame Tomlin, the OC, some of the skill players, but also you have to blame this rot that allowed vets to take days off or be put on pedestals, above it all apparently.

I can't help but feel that a coach like Chuck Noll would have said something like this, "You want a vet day off? Why is that? Are you injured? No? Just tired? Need a day to relax, take it easy you say? Perhaps you should consider retirement, maybe it is time for you to get on with your life's work!" To which the vet player puts on his helmet and joins his teammates for practice.

R_S

Post by R_S » Fri May 28, 2021 1:21 am

Rey Rey McCloud isnt showing up? The lack of intelligence of an average NFL player never surprises me.

When youre a fringe nobody on a roster its not the best idea to give the rooks and free agents all the reps while you are nowhere to be seen. They might just decide they like him more than you. Dumb mother fucker.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri May 28, 2021 1:27 am

I love this name. I am proud to be a Bibbertite!

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri May 28, 2021 1:54 am

Scunge wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:08 am
I am not going to use Covid as an excuse for Ben and Pouncey taking days off, that shit was happening for years.

You look at the rest of the team on offense, nothing but young players as rookies, players in their 2nd year, in their 3rd year, many that have precious little starting experience. For your two team captains, your top two veteran players on offense to just take days off each week throughout the season is bullshit, it is bush league.

That is not how you lead by example. That is not being a leader of men. All of these young inexperienced players need every single rep they can get in practice with ALL of the starters participating so that the game on Sunday ends up a win.

I have watched the offensive line decline. I have watched the running game decline. I have watched our QB turn into a dink dunk West Coast offense style pussy of a QB. I have watched our offense become soft and too finesse like, it turns my stomach.

Yes, you can blame Tomlin, the OC, some of the skill players, but also you have to blame this rot that allowed vets to take days off or be put on pedestals, above it all apparently.

I can't help but feel that a coach like Chuck Noll would have said something like this, "You want a vet day off? Why is that? Are you injured? No? Just tired? Need a day to relax, take it easy you say? Perhaps you should consider retirement, maybe it is time for you to get on with your life's work!" To which the vet player puts on his helmet and joins his teammates for practice.
Hate to be the one to break this to you, but the balance of power in the NFL between coaches and players has changed considerably since 1969. They don't sell Buicks and Nationwide Insurance in the off-season anymore. The size, speed and power of the defensive players dealing out the hits has also changed considerably. The number of games played, also, along with the amount of guaranteed dollars the owner owes the players. Totally different league. It's a nice blue collar throwback fantasy to dream about a coach saying that to a 17 year vet HOF QB in 2021, but that's all it is.

stinger8

Post by stinger8 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:36 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:54 am
Scunge wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:08 am

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but the balance of power in the NFL between coaches and players has changed considerably since 1969. They don't sell Buicks and Nationwide Insurance in the off-season anymore. The size, speed and power of the defensive players dealing out the hits has also changed considerably. The number of games played, also, along with the amount of guaranteed dollars the owner owes the players. Totally different league. It's a nice blue collar throwback fantasy to dream about a coach saying that to a 17 year vet HOF QB in 2021, but that's all it is.
Yeah the players today are bigger and faster and can hit harder BUT back in the day you could do just about anything you wanted to like clothesline, head slap, full helmet to helmet contact, ..... you kind a get the drift. Just another example of a Benabler making excuse after fuckin excuse. Guys are already on here stating if Ben sucks next year its because of the OC??? Pathetic really.

Here is a fun fact the team with him at the helm has won exactly 3 playoff games in 11 years, for most of the Benonites with a record like that he should get a 5 year extension at $35MM a season 100% guaranteed. After all his record is unimpeachable. SMH :roll:

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri May 28, 2021 3:50 pm

Guys are already on here stating if Ben sucks next year its because of the OC??? Pathetic really.
Yeah...I’m pretty sure nobody is saying any of that. Quite the opposite actually. (If Canada’s offense fails, it’ll be because Ben doesn’t buy in.)!
My point is that Ben, who many claim doesn’t put in the work, is putting in the work. Meanwhile, his entire vet WR cast, is off doing their own thing.
If that makes me a Bennonite, whatever the fuck that is :lol: , then so be it.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri May 28, 2021 3:55 pm

It's a cute stat, the playoff wins thing... and works nicely for your argument, but it's putting a false headline on the article. Ben Loses To Jaguars while defense gives up a Heinz Field record for playoff points. Also doesn't have much to do with what "taking Wednesdays off" actually means. I'd go with logic and assume that the practice schedule is built so there's not much going on in a Wednesday practice that a 10+ year vet needs to learn, and they can concentrate on film study, mental reps, giving tips to younger players, etc. My guess is you're assuming that all of the critical work preparing for the next game happens on Wednesdays, am I right?

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri May 28, 2021 4:05 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:55 pm
It's a cute stat, the playoff wins thing... and works nicely for your argument, but it's putting a false headline on the article. Ben Loses To Jaguars while defense gives up a Heinz Field record for playoff points. Also doesn't have much to do with what "taking Wednesdays off" actually means. I'd go with logic and assume that the practice schedule is built so there's not much going on in a Wednesday practice that a 10+ year vet needs to learn, and they can concentrate on film study, mental reps, giving tips to younger players, etc. My guess is you're assuming that all of the critical work preparing for the next game happens on Wednesdays, am I right?
Someone gets it.
The vet day off thing gets blown way over the top. I’m sure Ben and the others are there, sitting in on the meetings, film study, initial game plan installation.
Him standing on the sidelines while the team goes through a light walk through is meaningless to that weeks game prep.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri May 28, 2021 6:21 pm

So if there are Bennonite's, what's the opposite? Roethlishaters?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:21 pm
So if there are Bennonite's, what's the opposite? Roethlishaters?
Bibbertarians. And honestly, Bennonite is only funny when applied to STD.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic