Tunch retiring from broadcast booth

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
jebrick

Tunch retiring from broadcast booth

Post by jebrick » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:08 pm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/315 ... -fight-als
Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers radio analyst Tunch Ilkin is retiring to focus on dealing with his ALS.

Ilkin, who played 14 years on the offensive line for the Steelers from 1980-1993 and spent the last 23 as a broadcaster for the team, announced his decision Thursday.

The 63-year-old Ilkin, a two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman during his playing career, revealed his ALS diagnosis last fall but continued to work through the remainder of the 2020 season. ALS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"I want to spend this time focusing on my treatment and fighting this disease," Ilkin said in a statement. "I would like to thank Steelers President Art Rooney II, the Steelers organization, and the fans for their continued support and prayers at this time."

“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

daikyu

Post by daikyu » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:18 pm

I always liked Tunch as a player and a broadcaster.

ALS is a vicious disease that I would not wish on anyone.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:12 pm

God bless Tunch. I hope he beats this.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:48 pm

I loved Tunch when he played. He seems like a good guy...a pretty cool guy. Him and Wolf worked so well together, you could tell they absolutely enjoyed each other’s company. Their camp reports, etc. we’re fun TV. It was like a couple of your old buddies was talking to you.
I wish Tunch all the best in his battle.
That said, Tunch as a play by play guy was pretty awful. Less is best Tunch...less is best.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:27 pm

jewelsongs wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:12 pm
Not disparaging your post, but we need to live life like there are no winning battles. You can't win the battle of life.

Life is not sports. You don't win with effort. You are bound to lose no matter what you do. Accept that.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:19 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:27 pm
jewelsongs wrote:
Not disparaging your post, but we need to live life like there are no winning battles. You can't win the battle of life.

Life is not sports. You don't win with effort. You are bound to lose no matter what you do. Accept that.
Nothing wrong with hoping the guy plays into double OT, though.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 pm

I hope Tunch enjoys life loved him as a player and Broadcaster and the Tunch and Wolf show is the best.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:19 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:27 pm
jewelsongs wrote:

Nothing wrong with hoping the guy plays into double OT, though.
True. Take it to the limit, and I won't post a link. . .
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 am

Sorry to hear this. He's a good guy, and I've always enjoyed watching him play and hearing him on the radio.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:47 am

I’m both sorry he has to retire but also, after hearing him struggle on the air last fall, glad that he is stepping away. Wolf was trying so hard to have his friend’s back and it’s impossible to not root for Tunch but... it was time.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

drmalba

Post by drmalba » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:47 am
I’m both sorry he has to retire but also, after hearing him struggle on the air last fall, glad that he is stepping away. Wolf was trying so hard to have his friend’s back and it’s impossible to not root for Tunch but... it was time.
Agreed - it was evident this past year Tunch was struggling at points, with Wolf stepping in pretty openly at times to complete thoughts, etc.

As much as I despised this crew over the years (Tunch always being the overly-eager bearer of bad news, Hillgrove always seems to be watching and commenting on another game and sport in a different time zone, probably on LSD) I wish the absolute best for Tunch, this is an exceptionally cruel disease with not a lot of hope for positive outcomes.

R_S

Post by R_S » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:03 am

Fitting this announcement came so close to Lou Gehrig day. Sad that nearly 90 years after his death modern medicine has made very little progress on treating or preventing this disease.

FYI. Did you know Gehrig played the entire 1938 season while showing symptoms of ALS. He still batted .295 27 HR 114 RBI. It's said he dealt with blisters in his hands because of squeezing the bat so hard. (Muscles of the hands and feet are the first to show weakness)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic