4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm

An inaccurate QB that hasn’t seen live action in nearly two years? Sure….why not? :lol:

Now Trevon Grimes, despite the injury, is intriguing…
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

SteelerKahuna

Post by SteelerKahuna » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:13 pm

Thank you for your input Mrs. Newman

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:03 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm
He would be a good add to the QB room

Live arm and solid mobility skills
Hellllooooo, Newman.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:48 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:19 am

Lol

Say what you want....lol

The current Steelers QB room:

Biberty: Solid try hard teammate. Horrible QB. Horrible movement skills. Arm to make open unpressured throws. Not much else

Dobbs: Solid try hard teammate.Not a great quarterback.

Haskins: Questionable accuracy poor mobility.

Newman has elite movement skills. Big time arm that will be able to challenge the top end of the defense.

I agree he’s not the most accurate quarterback in the world. But again he would be very cheap and has tools to develop unlike the above mentioned three.
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am

Well, you may not like what the Steelers are doing with their QBs but they do seem to have a plan and they like their QBs.

I think they view Mason Rudolph as a starting QB who can be that bridge until you are able to get that next franchise QB. I predicted that he would sign a 3 year, $18 million extension, a $6 million per year average after his rookie contract expired.

That did not happen exactly, but the Steelers did sign Rudolph to a one year extension for $5 million. That is close to what I thought he would get on a per year basis. He hasn't proven that much yet, still a small, small sample size but that $5-6 million per year is the going rate for a young QB at that point of their development.

Rudolph didn't have a real QB coach his first two years, then in his 3rd season he gets Matt Canada to be his QB coach, but the Covid season doesn't allow preseason games or real practices or OTAs in any productive, meaningful way. Rudolph only gets one real game to show any progress and he did fine, threw for 315 yards and 2 TDs, with SEVERAL deep shots completed. After watching Ben dink and dunk the last half of the season, it was great watching Mason come in and drop these bombs, 47 yards, 41 yards, 41 yards, all while we were resting some starters and playing a Cleveland team that was fighting for the playoffs and needed to win. Yes, just one game but the big complaint from his 2nd season was that he was afraid to take shots down field and was merely a check down charlie type of QB. He was more aggressive and was showing a nice touch on the deep passes.

Now Canada is his OC and the team brought in Sullivan to be his new QB coach. They also brought in a former first round pick in Haskins. Haskins has a really big arm, has real natural talent throwing the ball, has the ability to make off platform throws like an Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahommes. I also think he has the ability to move and buy time in the pocket, no, he is not a running QB, but that isn't a negative in my mind. Mentally, he needs to work on his game, hopefully Canada and Sullivan are able to develop him and he provides pressure on Rudolph, that the two can push each other.

To me the Steelers are playing this perfectly. Sometimes the planets and stars don't align, sometimes a couple drafts go by with no legitimate franchise QBs available. The worst thing for this franchise would be to trade up to get that stud QB then only to find they got punked with a Mitch Tribisky, etc. Nothing wrong with having to wait until 2023 or 2024 to get that next Ben. And even then, maybe they go after a free agent QB, find a Ryan Tannehill that somebody gives up on. Maybe they view Dwayne Haskins as their guy and are going to do the old school thing where it was thought a QB needed 5 years to develop.

Regardless, the Steelers aren't going to make any drastic additions to the QB room, they are set this year and maybe even for 2022. If Ben retires after this season, you probably see Rudolph as the #1, Haskins the #2 and Dobbs brought back as the #3 for 2022.

That will be a really, really cheap QB room cap wise and will allow this team to build up the offensive line, keep adding pieces to the offense. When they finally do have a chance to draft a top QB, that rookie could very well enter a perfect storm like Ben once did as a rookie.

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 am

The Eagles QB roster is Hurts and Flacco. The fact that they didn't keep him after voluntary workouts should mean something.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Biberty is a career backup and not a good one.

I’m not even saying Newman should get a 53 spot at this point but he does have at least one elite skill. The others don’t have any elite skill at all. Thats important to remember at the 50-63 spots on the team.

Given the Steelers QB situation I’d look to practice squad 2 QBs if the potential warranted it.

Newman is as good or better than Biberty throwing the ball with MUCH better movement skills
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Scunge wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am
If Ben retires after this season, you probably see Rudolph as the #1, Haskins the #2 and Dobbs brought back as the #3 for 2022.
Lol.....hello 5-12
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Obviously I have a scarlet and gray interest, but I'd honestly be more interested to see Haskins start a game after a year in the system than more Rudolph.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:40 pm
Scunge wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am
If Ben retires after this season, you probably see Rudolph as the #1, Haskins the #2 and Dobbs brought back as the #3 for 2022.
Lol.....hello 5-12
They went 8-8 with Rudolph and Hodges and should have been 10-6. That was with James Conner at RB and Smith Schuster having a terrible year. The o-line was no better than it was in 2020.

Rudolph with better coaching and Haskins, a former #1 with elite skills who might develop is much, much better than Rudolph 2 years ago and Duck Hodges.

By the way, GREAT post, Scunge.

Spot on.

One last thing.....5-12 would only be a disaster if the Steelers couldn't find their next QB after a bad season like that. How many championships as Dumblin won the last decade with a future Hall of Famer at QB? What's his postseason record the last decade?

Bueller?
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm
Newman is as good or better than Biberty throwing the ball with MUCH better movement skills
:lol:

Newman just got beaten out by Joe Flacco.

:lol:
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 pm

As nice as it might be for value picks Mason and Haskins to pan out, it's probably a good bit better from a roster building standpoint if they don't. If either one does, you don't get the 5-6 year cost controlled window you'd get with a first round rook where everybody but Tampa (and Tampa's not really that much of an exception because of the salary Brady took) has made their championship push. For all the "Tomlin won with Cowher's players" noise, it was really more "The Steelers were able to retain all their vet FAs because they were paying Ben peanuts."

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Everyone needs to accept that the Steelers coaching and FO likes Mason Rudolph. They are going to give him every opportunity to sink or swim…the Steelers Way. :roll:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 pm

We need somebody to change their screen name to Bubby2Bibberty in anticipation of the great years ahead.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 pm
We need somebody to change their screen name to Bubby2Bibberty in anticipation of the great years ahead.
Hey…leave Bubby out of this! He’s my favorite bum level ex Steeler… :lol:

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:04 pm

No love for Weegie Thompson?

And hey, the Bubster had a playoff win. Actually the first Steelers playoff win I saw, at the tender age of 6, and the last of Noll's career. Big shoes to fill for the Bibbster.

rocky mtn stiller

Post by rocky mtn stiller » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:30 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 pm
Ice wrote:
Bubby has two Super Bowl rings!! :lol:

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:40 am

Yeah, Bubby did get two Super Bowl rings being John Elways backup in Denver, but don't just scoff at that.

In 1998, Bubby had to start 4 games and he won all four of those games. Bubby passed for almost 1,000 yards, with 10 TDs and 3 INTs, with a passer rating of 99.0 that Super Bowl year. If Bubby had lost two of those games, would they still have earned the #1 seed? Would that season still have ended with a Super Bowl win?

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 am

Jobu wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 pm
Ice wrote:
Bubby to Lipps baby!
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:38 am

Scunge wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:40 am
Yeah, Bubby did get two Super Bowl rings being John Elways backup in Denver, but don't just scoff at that.

In 1998, Bubby had to start 4 games and he won all four of those games. Bubby passed for almost 1,000 yards, with 10 TDs and 3 INTs, with a passer rating of 99.0 that Super Bowl year. If Bubby had lost two of those games, would they still have earned the #1 seed? Would that season still have ended with a Super Bowl win?
Brister was talented. He got sacked a lot and took a bunch of shots the first couple years he became a starter. Those teams weren't very good on offense but I think he only had a losing record his first year with the Steelers. I liked him better than O'Donnel. Didn't New Orleans want to sign him to a long term contract and he turned them down for some reason? I always thought he could win on a better team and was glad to see him do well with Denver when he finally got a shot.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 am

So, nobody has fond memories of the Bubby playoff run in Pittsburgh where they kept constantly cutting to his mom in black and gold makeup and talking about how he bought her a black and gold Cadillac? 9-6 in the House of Pain against Houston, and a surprisingly competitive effort against the Doncs in Mile High the following weekend.

For what it's worth, SI had Haskins ranked the most impressive Steeler in minicamp this past week.

El Kabong

Post by El Kabong » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 am

Ice wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 am
So, nobody has fond memories of the Bubby playoff run in Pittsburgh where they kept constantly cutting to his mom in black and gold makeup and talking about how he bought her a black and gold Cadillac? 9-6 in the House of Pain against Houston, and a surprisingly competitive effort against the Doncs in Mile High the following weekend.

For what it's worth, SI had Haskins ranked the most impressive Steeler in minicamp this past week.
The 1989 Steelers will always have a special place in my heart.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am

My first Steelers jersey (again, age 6... don't judge) was a #6.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:46 am

Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am
My first Steelers jersey (again, age 6... don't judge) was a #6.
No judgment here….I think that’s awesome. I’m serious when I say Bubby was one of my all time Steelers favorites. He may not have been a great player, but he was fun and entertaining, and had no filter.
I watched a short video of Chuck Noll’s final game the other day, and Bubby was the QB. At one point they showed a graphic, Bubby was 6 of 24 for 45 yards. He then hit Dwight Stone on a short slant and Stone took it the house. Bubby ran off the field like he just threw an 80 yard bomb to win the Super Bowl. Lol
Interesting tidbit…I’m sure some know this (Swiss for sure)…Noll’s final game/win came against the Browns and everyone’s favorite cheater, Darth Belichick.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 am

El Kabong wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 am
Ice wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 am

The 1989 Steelers will always have a special place in my heart.
One of my favorite Steelers memories. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuqqAIudECY

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:54 pm

What screwed Brister in Pittsburgh was Joe Walton.
If Newman was any good he would have stuck with Philly as at least the #3.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:19 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:54 pm
What screwed Brister in Pittsburgh was Joe Walton.
If Newman was any good he would have stuck with Philly as at least the #3.
You’d think so.....however ......rookie HCs often make mistakes. I’m not sure I trust Philly right now evaluating 3rd string QBs. There are a lot of reasons other than talent that spot could get co-opted.

Newman can run and move far far better than any QB on our roster. He is probably a far better athlete than any QB on our roster at this point. He does have a big arm that can challenge the top end of a defense.

Not saying he doesn’t have some flaws

But he’s cheap and has some elite skills and might stick on the PS if nothing else

I liked and rooted for Duck. Just didn’t have enough NFL talent athletically.

What’s the harm in giving the most important position on the team some numbers with some elite talent ??

I would constantly be looking for some outlier talent at QB that could stick on the PS
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:38 pm

To read reports out of minicamp, I think the Steelers think they have some talent at #3 in Haskins, who has apparently impressed. If it's him vs Rudolph for the second spot in Latrobe this summer, I'd bet they feel pretty comfortable with where they are at QB.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic