More proof CAN is the best rock band in history

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Professor Half Wit

More proof CAN is the best rock band in history

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat May 29, 2021 2:16 pm

https://canofficial.bandcamp.com/album/ ... tgart-1975

I really wish I could understand how Jaki Liebezeit was possible, but I can't. My favorite drummer of any style and it is not even close.

Just listened to Drei all the way through. My mind left my body about 15 minutes in.

Oh, to have been alive and very high at this concert.

All hail CAN!

“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat May 29, 2021 4:00 pm

I have to give you props. I know for a fact you weren't of cognizant age when CAN was a band. AND a german experimental rock band? (coming from someone that was totally into german progressive/ experimental rock bands of the 70's.)

But the best rock band in history? Nah.

Focus was light years ahead with musicianship but CAN for sure should be recognized. Not to mention Nektar.

But this is totally expected from you. Kudos. Thanks for sharing.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat May 29, 2021 4:20 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:00 pm
I have to give you props. I know for a fact you weren't of cognizant age when CAN was a band. AND a german experimental rock band? (coming from someone that was totally into german progressive/ experimental rock bands of the 70's.)

But the best rock band in history? Nah.

Focus was light years ahead with musicianship but CAN for sure should be recognized. Not to mention Nektar.

But this is totally expected from you. Kudos. Thanks for sharing.
Hahaha

It's all subjective once you get into the realm of great musicians. I was not even born when this concert took place. For the non-squares, CAN is not exactly underground. They're pretty huge. I got into CAN by way of Tortoise (my actual favorite "rock" band). The whole band cracks, but it's Jaki Liebezeit, man. His drumming just does it for me. That man knew how to get in the pocket. So damn funky. The first time I heard Vitamin C I had a total meltdown. :)
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 am

COR-TEN wrote:
And I must give you props. Loved me some Focus back in the day (Hamburger Concerto, anyone?) And Nektar, who IMO reached their zenith with the Recycled album.

Several of these bands were fun to listen to and incredibly good players but --- again IMO --- a few steps behind, for example, Yes & ELP in compositional skills.

Also check out PFM from Italy -- their Photos of Ghosts album remains to this day on my faves playlist :ugeek:

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon May 31, 2021 12:08 pm

franco>madden wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:43 am
COR-TEN wrote:
And I must give you props. Loved me some Focus back in the day (Hamburger Concerto, anyone?) And Nektar, who IMO reached their zenith with the Recycled album.

Several of these bands were fun to listen to and incredibly good players but --- again IMO --- a few steps behind, for example, Yes & ELP in compositional skills.

Also check out PFM from Italy -- their Photos of Ghosts album remains to this day on my faves playlist :ugeek:
Dude, I love Fragile and Close to the Edge.

I encourage both of you to make time to listen to TNT or Beacons of Ancestorship by Tortoise. Their first album came out in '94. Not prog. They are responsible for what music journos eventually labeled "post-rock," basically, the art rock movement of Gen X. Tortoise is my favorite rock band ever, ever, ever. You can hear a bazillion influences in them.

TNT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGb_9UW6EU

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm

I was particularly fond of Nektar's Remember The Future album, and yes, Hamburger Concerto is tops.

And The Yes Album is underrated. Definitely will look into TNT/ Beacons of Ancestorship by Tortoise and PFM.

Thanks guys. . .
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:29 am

Prog = :roll:
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:14 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:29 am
Prog = :roll:
CAN and Tortoise are not prog. Check them out if you have not.

CAN: start with Tago Mago.

Tortoise: start with TNT. (A man of your discerning taste, I'd try TNT. But do yourself a real favor. Carve time to give the entire album a chance. You're an old and will reflexively dismiss.)

Enjoy!

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for the nice referrals, Lit. Since indeed there's almost nothing new under the sun, I like the quote "great artists always borrow from the best." Tortoise sounds to have a pretty diverse and deep pool of influences, which I like.

I'm enjoying listening to TNT ... to my ears, apparently other artists have listened as well, including Jay Som*, Wilco, Laura Viers and several other artists I really like, many of whom get labeled as "post-rock", "Prog/alt-country/jazz" (just to piss off std :lol: ), or what-have-you ...

* Check out Jay Som's Devotion, a beautiful short piece, and a sonic cousin to Tortoise's Ten-Day Interval, which itself seems to harken back to San Jacinto-era Peter Gabriel, and so on**

** Hey, come to think of it, Peter Gabriel's music circa 1980-84 featured lots of that innovative sequencer soundscape due to working with synthesist Larry Fast, who early on apparently assisted with recording the Yes epic Tales from Topographic Oceans, and then through the mid-70s, of course, had played for a stretch of several albums with Nektar --- so it kinda all interconnects, doesn't it? ;)

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 am

franco>madden wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:52 pm
Thanks for the nice referrals, Lit. Since indeed there's almost nothing new under the sun, I like the quote "great artists always borrow from the best." Tortoise sounds to have a pretty diverse and deep pool of influences, which I like.

I'm enjoying listening to TNT ... to my ears, apparently other artists have listened as well, including Jay Som*, Wilco, Laura Viers and several other artists I really like, many of whom get labeled as "post-rock", "Prog/alt-country/jazz" (just to piss off std :lol: ), or what-have-you ...

* Check out Jay Som's Devotion, a beautiful short piece, and a sonic cousin to Tortoise's Ten-Day Interval, which itself seems to harken back to San Jacinto-era Peter Gabriel, and so on**

** Hey, come to think of it, Peter Gabriel's music circa 1980-84 featured lots of that innovative sequencer soundscape due to working with synthesist Larry Fast, who early on apparently assisted with recording the Yes epic Tales from Topographic Oceans, and then through the mid-70s, of course, had played for a stretch of several albums with Nektar --- so it kinda all interconnects, doesn't it? ;)
Glad you dig it. No two Tortoise albums sound the same. They're all kind of radically different in their own way. Seeing Tortoise live is such an experience because all the cuts off TNT sound so much tougher live.

Def going to check out that Jay Som cut! My wife loves Peter Gabriel's 80s stuff so we listen to it a lot. I see the tie in you're going for. I also get the sense Tortoise was influenced by a lot of underground British new wave stuff. This compilation especially comes to mind: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Nightla ... ase/317313

There is simply so much, too much really fantastic music for a single lifetime.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Just got back from New Mexico.

My copy of the Stuttgart live LP shipped, but isn't here yet!

DAMNIT!
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:51 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

DAMNIT!
Got mine yesterday. :D

Soooooo good.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:51 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

DAMNIT!
Got mine yesterday. :D

Soooooo good.
Mine just arrived! Cannot wait to hear it.

Been looking at the RSD list for this Saturday. There are a few items I'd like to have but I'm not exactly excited.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:23 pm

franco>madden wrote:

The last concert I saw in Chicago before I moved to South Florida was Tortoise at Metro in June of 1998 (the night the Bulls won their last championship with Jordan) with Isotope 217 opening. It had to be 95 degrees inside that motherfucking venue that night. Both myself and my now wife were miserable along with pretty much the entire crowd, but both bands were killer.

If you're not familiar with Isotope 217, check them out. I'm 100% sure you'll dig them. I believe there were 3 or 4 former or current members of Tortoise in that band.

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:23 pm
franco>madden wrote:

The last concert I saw in Chicago before I moved to South Florida was Tortoise at Metro in June of 1998 (the night the Bulls won their last championship with Jordan) with Isotope 217 opening. It had to be 95 degrees inside that motherfucking venue that night. Both myself and my now wife were miserable along with pretty much the entire crowd, but both bands were killer.

If you're not familiar with Isotope 217, check them out. I'm 100% sure you'll dig them. I believe there were 3 or 4 former or current members of Tortoise in that band.
Oh yeah. Douglas McCombs' (Tortoise's bass player) project Brokeback isn't too shabby, either.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:08 pm

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:23 pm
franco>madden wrote:

Oh yeah. Douglas McCombs' (Tortoise's bass player) project Brokeback isn't too shabby, either.
I only have the first Brokeback album (somehow I own it on both CD and LP!)

If they did anymore, I don't believe I've heard it/them.

If you like McCombs, you probably know Eleventh Dream Day's new one is on the way. I believe it's out in July or August. I pre-ordered it from their Bandcamp.

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 am

The family tree of Tortoise-related musical projects would be a thread unto itself. The early and mid-90s Chicago rock scene ranks among the most fertile and productive in rock history, but most folks have no clue about it. Louisville had a great scene, too, and I love Slint (recorded Spiderland in Chicago), but the Chicago scene was very special. Just think. While the country was freaking out about Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Weezer, 311, etc, Tortoise put out their first LP. And it blew the doors off all that alt-rock BS.

KC, did you ever hang out at Danny's in Bucktown? A DJ/collector named Dante Carfagna used to throw and soul / funk party there each week.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Dante is far more than a record collecting DJ. Writer (Wax Poetics), ex-label potentate (Numero Group), experimental musician (check out Express Rising on Bandcamp), secret Various Artist record compiler (check out the amazing Black rock comp Chains and Black Exhaust).

His favorite Krautrockers are Thirsty Moon.

Mine are also Can, saw them many times in 72-73 in GDR. Listening now to the "new" release Stuttgart 75.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:49 pm

Steeler Owl wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm
Dante is far more than a record collecting DJ. Writer (Wax Poetics), ex-label potentate (Numero Group), experimental musician (check out Express Rising on Bandcamp), secret Various Artist record compiler (check out the amazing Black rock comp Chains and Black Exhaust).

His favorite Krautrockers are Thirsty Moon.

Mine are also Can, saw them many times in 72-73 in GDR. Listening now to the "new" release Stuttgart 75.
Indeed. I own the express rising LPs as well as the 45 singles he put out on Memphix. He single handedly changed my musical life by introducing me to all manner of soul and funk. His mixes are legendary. His ROCK mixes he did for Cinespia are revelatory (I refer to the DJ mixes he did for screenings of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Apocalypse Now, the latter being especially mind bending).

Chains and Black Exhaust, hell yeah. I have the mp3 files for it. Black psychedelic biker drug rock. I cannot believe they did not put that out on vinyl somehow!

Owl, you sound like a hopeless record nerd and music junkie after my own heart! Did you ever catch the Dogpatch podcast Dante did with the Numero label A&R guy? Jon Kirby, I think?

I don't know about Thirsty Moon, so thanks for sharing that.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:12 pm

Links, people. Fucking post links.

Thanks in advance. : )

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:12 pm
Links, people. Fucking post links.

Thanks in advance. : )
Chains is not on YouTube, man.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19 ... k-exhaust/

I can tell you this, though: it's fucking NASTY. Discogs has a couple tracks. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Chains- ... ter/896920

Loner Rock mix by Carfagna. Soooooo good:
https://www.mixcloud.com/spaniel/dante- ... lypse-now/

The aforementioned podcast:
https://dogpatch.libsyn.com/

Dante is THE man.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm

Not hopeless.

Not a nerd.

Not a junkie.

And not a Tortise fan.

Lol

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Steeler Owl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm
Not hopeless.

Not a nerd.

Not a junkie.

And not a Tortise fan.

Lol
:lol:

Too much protesting, I think!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 am
The family tree of Tortoise-related musical projects would be a thread unto itself. The early and mid-90s Chicago rock scene ranks among the most fertile and productive in rock history, but most folks have no clue about it. Louisville had a great scene, too, and I love Slint (recorded Spiderland in Chicago), but the Chicago scene was very special. Just think. While the country was freaking out about Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Weezer, 311, etc, Tortoise put out their first LP. And it blew the doors off all that alt-rock BS.

KC, did you ever hang out at Danny's in Bucktown? A DJ/collector named Dante Carfagna used to throw and soul / funk party there each week.
I know the name, but did not attend the parties. Don't believe I've ever been to Danny's.

My situation was this: I lived in NW Indiana but worked in downtown Chicago. I basically worked 7 days a week because my downtown gig was Mon-Fri and I worked Saturdays and Sundays at a record store in Merrillville, Indiana called Hegewisch Records (now sadly gone, like so many others). One of my best friend's ran the Calumet City branch of the same record store. He got us on ALL the guest lists (for instance, when Nirvana was breaking big, I tried desperately to get on the Geffen guest list to see their show at Metro in October of 1991. The rep usually always put me on, but this time she told me sorry. Ain't happening. Too many far bigger people in the local music industry wanted to go. The night of the show, my friend calls me and says; "Wanna go see Nirvana and hang out with the band?" I obviously said yes. We went. Huge ass line outside of people with no tickets who weren't going to get in We walk past them all, are let in and head downstairs at Metro to a bar area where there was surprisingly (and uncomfortably) basically nobody present, except my friend, me and Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic. Thank God Grohl was a SUPER FUCKING NICE chatterbox, because I gotta say, after about 10 minutes you have zero idea what to say to these dudes. We hung out with them for nearly an hour until they needed to get ready to go on stage. We never saw Kurt Cobain. They said he was "sleeping").

I wasn't a club guy. All I/we did was go to concerts. I'll bet I averaged from 1987-1998, probably 3 concerts per week. Everybody from Joe Henderson and Pharoah Sanders to Einsturzende Neubauten, Wire and Ken Nordine. We saw damn near everybody for free. 80% of the time, our drinks were free.

Thinking back, the only time I really went clubbing back around this time was when I was in freaking love with a co-worker at the record store and we went everywhere together. She loved bands like the Chemical Brothers, Luscious Jacckson, etc. If she wanted to do it, I went. End of story.

Oh and yes, Spiderland is a top 10 favorite album all time for me.

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm

I know the name, but did not attend the parties. Don't believe I've ever been to Danny's.

My situation was this: I lived in NW Indiana but worked in downtown Chicago. I basically worked 7 days a week because my downtown gig was Mon-Fri and I worked Saturdays and Sundays at a record store in Merrillville, Indiana called Hegewisch Records (now sadly gone, like so many others). One of my best friend's ran the Calumet City branch of the same record store. He got us on ALL the guest lists (for instance, when Nirvana was breaking big, I tried desperately to get on the Geffen guest list to see their show at Metro in October of 1991. The rep usually always put me on, but this time she told me sorry. Ain't happening. Too many far bigger people in the local music industry wanted to go. The night of the show, my friend calls me and says; "Wanna go see Nirvana and hang out with the band?" I obviously said yes. We went. Huge ass line outside of people with no tickets who weren't going to get in We walk past them all, are let in and head downstairs at Metro to a bar area where there was surprisingly (and uncomfortably) basically nobody present, except my friend, me and Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic. Thank God Grohl was a SUPER FUCKING NICE chatterbox, because I gotta say, after about 10 minutes you have zero idea what to say to these dudes. We hung out with them for nearly an hour until they needed to get ready to go on stage. We never saw Kurt Cobain. They said he was "sleeping").

I wasn't a club guy. All I/we did was go to concerts. I'll bet I averaged from 1987-1998, probably 3 concerts per week. Everybody from Joe Henderson and Pharoah Sanders to Einsturzende Neubauten, Wire and Ken Nordine. We saw damn near everybody for free. 80% of the time, our drinks were free.

Thinking back, the only time I really went clubbing back around this time was when I was in freaking love with a co-worker at the record store and we went everywhere together. She loved bands like the Chemical Brothers, Luscious Jacckson, etc. If she wanted to do it, I went. End of story.

That sounds like a pretty fun young adult life to me! My wife once got high with Novoselic. She drove up to Vegas with friends to see Janes Addiction play at some casino and hotel that was about to be demolished. It was apparently total bedlam in the hotel. My wife ends up in a room with a couple other friends to smoke out and in walks Novoselic.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:11 pm

This thread.....lol

Prog still blows
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 pm

K_C_ wrote:

Great stories. But the bolded made seriously spit. hilarious. And I'm all in with the Chemical Bros

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:45 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:11 pm
This thread.....lol

Prog still blows

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Steeler Owl wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm
Not hopeless.

Not a nerd.

Not a junkie.

And not a Tortise fan.

Lol
:lol:

Too much protesting, I think!
Too much over-familiarity from the Joe Manchin of Steeler Fury.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Have you watched the Slint documentary "Breadcrumb Trail" yet?

If not, WATCH IT TONIIGHT. Fucking amazing. I guarantee you it'll be worth it.

I chat sometimes with Britt Walford and Brian McMahan on Facebook. Great dudes.

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic