NHL Free Agency Extravaganza 2021

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

NHL Free Agency Extravaganza 2021

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:27 pm

Landeskog staying with Colorado at $7m/year
Jaden Schwartz to Seattle (5-6m per year)
Freddy Andersen likely heading to Carolina

Apparently Buffalo has had multiple teams reach out for Eichel, but they are in no hurry to get a deal done......meaning they'll probably wait until it's too late an nab a 2nd rounder with retained salary :lol:

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:14 pm

Does Edmonton understand the concept of buy low / sell high?

Sounds like Cody Ceci is heading there for 4 years at $3m per year. Tyson Barrie will be getting a 3 year extension. Mike Smith was signed for 2 more years. Zach Hyman is signed at $5.5m/year until he's 35.

The Oilers having absolutely no depth will be a theme for the next decade. 39 year old Mike Smith had his best season since 2012 last year....I'm not sure it's a good idea to bank on him repeating that.

Update: Ethan Bear going to Carolina for Warren Foegele.

Bonino going to SJ
Mrazek to Toronto

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm

Evan Rodrigues will stay in Pittsburgh. $1m, 1 year.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm

Martin Jones to Philly!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:37 pm

Where the hell is everyone?

Dominik Simon is back baby!!!!! One year, two way deal.

Rumor is that Freddy Gaudreau is signing with Minnesota for 2 x 1.2. Good for him, but that's way too expensive

Pens sign Brock McGinn from Carolina. 4 years $2.75m. There's your Tanev replacement.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Dominik Simon and a guy who sounds like a tertiary character from Gangs of New York... and Evan Rodriguez.

Championship!
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Ice wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:59 pm
Dominik Simon and a guy who sounds like a tertiary character from Gangs of New York... and Evan Rodriguez.

Championship!
McGinn is a younger, cheaper version of Tanev. He'll fit right in on the buzzsaw line and PK. The Simon signing is risk free, so I'm fine with it.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:24 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm
Ice wrote:

Championship!
McGinn is a younger, cheaper version of Tanev. He'll fit right in on the buzzsaw line and PK. The Simon signing is risk free, so I'm fine with it.
I immediately thought of his great, great grandfather Walter McGinn from Gangs of NY. Love that film.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:31 pm

Brayden Point just signed an 8 year, $76m extension with Tampa Bay. As of now, they have 13 players under contract for the 22-23 season and they're already at a $72m cap hit. I have no idea how that is going to work.

My thoughts from today (if anyone cares):

- Boston added some good depth to their F group. But their D is pretty thin, and I have no idea who will play in net for them next year.
- I truly have no idea what Philly is doing. You get rid of Ghost, but bring in Ellis, Risto, and Yandle? This isn't fantasy hockey - none of those guys are strong defensively. Then to top it off, they sign Martin Jones? WTF?
- The Caps have done absolutely nothing today, which I suppose isn't surprising. Really seems like they can't move Kuznetsov.
- Isles haven't done anything either
- The number of overpays that happened in this FA period are absolutely insane.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 pm

I hope Pens fans give McGinn a chance. From the reaction to him (Tane)being lost in expansion you would think that our solar system is going to be destroyed by a rogue black hole on the other side of the galaxy.
I like the signing.
Edit
Last edited by fractalsteel on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:00 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:31 pm
Boston added some good depth to their F group. But their D is pretty thin, and I have no idea who will play in net for them next year.
The answer is apparently Linus Ullmark.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 pm

TB giving up a player and a pick for more LTIR cap relief was as predictable as April showers.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:15 am

Caps just traded a 2nd round pick to get Vanacek back from Seattle. Once they sign Samsonov, they'll only have enough money to fill out the rest of the roster on league minimum deals.

Darcy Keumper going to Colorado, so the goalie market is pretty much barren at this point (unless you want to take a huge risk and sign Tuuka Rask). When guys like Linus Ulmark are getting $5m/year, you know the market is stupid. At these prices, I'm fine rolling with Jarry.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 am

Crazy how even the flat cap isn't stopping some of these numbers. GMs just can't help themselves.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:01 pm

Saad signs a 5 year deal with St Louis.

Looks like any further changes to the Pens roster will be made via trade. Whatever you do, avoid the Pens facebook and twitter accounts. You'd think this team was going on a full fledged tank next season.

The Pens were a fist place team last year (in the "group of death" no less) who lost a tough series to a good team due in large part to a young goalie who struggled in his first playoffs. They are not in need of a complete overhaul. We all complained about many of the questionable moves made by GMJR, and now so many people are whining that Hex isn't going crazy with the roster. Gotta love it.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:45 pm

Any thoughts from folks more knowledgeable than myself on the draft picks?

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:00 pm

I definitely don’t pay attention to off-season/free agency as much as some of yinz…but this Fleury situation is kind of driving me nuts, and not because I’m a Fleury homer (like him, but acknowledge his shortcomings).

But maybe you guys can help me understand.

From my perspective, I see this:

Chicago has Fleury’s rights, but Fleury’s camp has made it pretty clear that he’s not playing there.

I think it’s also safe to assume that at this stage of his career, he isn’t going to play for too many other teams either. In fact, I’d bet Pittsburgh is the only team he WOULD play for.

So, if the Pens are likely the only team that could feasible trade for him, wouldn’t the Pens be able to basically name their own price for him? Like, if they offered a 3rd round pick, insisted that was their final offer, why would Chicago say “no”?

And if the Pens wanted to do that and have Chicago also eat some of Fleury’s cap number, why wouldn’t they, say, throw in a 2nd round pick to have Chicago absorb 2-3 million (which they’re currently doing for a guy who isn’t going to play for them anyways)? Or maybe a higher pick and a prospect to eat even more of that cap figure? Chicago is on the hook for most of it if Fleury retires anyway, so why not get something for it?

If Chicago doesn’t do anything, they get nothing for a play that isn’t going to play for them anyways. So why not get a few picks out of him?

And it seems like the Pens can fill their most obvious need with a guy who won the Vezina this past year, and do it at a low cost…AND get a fan favorite back.

So, someone tell me why this wouldn’t happen?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:00 pm
So, someone tell me why this wouldn’t happen?
First, It is my understanding that if Flower retires, it wouldn't count against Chicago's cap. That negates some of Flower/Pittsburgh's leverage.

Second thing - Pens have no cap space. Right now, they only have $2.6m, which should just be enough to sign ZAR and Zohorna. They'll have to clear some contracts before they can bring in Flower.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:44 pm

Just saw the Pens signed Danton Heinen.

I like it. He was pretty solid with Boston and is still only 26. Good buy-low candidate.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 pm

Happy birthday Evgeni Malkin, 35 years old today.
Crosby celebrates his 34th in a week.

Where did all the years go?

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 pm
Happy birthday Evgeni Malkin, 35 years old today.
Crosby celebrates his 34th in a week.

Where did all the years go?
Seriously. I still occasionally call Sid “the Kid” when watching games.

Side note, Fleury has announced he intends to play for Chicago, so any hope of him getting bounced here (if there was any), is likely gone.

DonnieBrasco

Post by DonnieBrasco » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Ice wrote:

Championship!
I hate Simon and I'm neutral on Erod.

For me I would have rather paid Gaudrea the $2M- he's a better and more useful player than those combined.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Loved what Gaudreau did last year, but his numbers scream "fluke" to me. He had more points in 25 total games (regular season & playoffs) than he did in the entire rest of his career combined. I'm glad he cashed in, but $1.2m over 2 years is a lot for a team with no cap space. ERod is versatile enough play either wing on any line - that's not the case with Freddy.

Simon's contract is 2 way, so he can easily be buried at WBS. I'm not reading into it.

Gaudreau vs Heinen is the better question.

DonnieBrasco

Post by DonnieBrasco » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 pm
Loved what Gaudreau did last year, but his numbers scream "fluke" to me. He had more points in 25 total games (regular season & playoffs) than he did in the entire rest of his career combined. I'm glad he cashed in, but $1.2m over 2 years is a lot for a team with no cap space. ERod is versatile enough play either wing on any line - that's not the case with Freddy.

Simon's contract is 2 way, so he can easily be buried at WBS. I'm not reading into it.

Simon CAN be buried in WBS, but with Sully's pets do you think that'll actually happen if his play warrants it?

It's sad that I can't just judge personnel moves on it's face. We now have to worry about Sully. I just want his toys taken away: Simon, JJ,Sheary, ZAR, the list goes on...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:54 pm

DonnieBrasco wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm
Pabst wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Simon CAN be buried in WBS, but with Sully's pets do you think that'll actually happen if his play warrants it?

It's sad that I can't just judge personnel moves on it's face. We now have to worry about Sully. I just want his toys taken away: Simon, JJ,Sheary, ZAR, the list goes on...
Here's my gut feeling - Simon is an insurance policy in case Hallander, Poulin, or O'Connor can't hack it at the NHL level. I don't mind the pick up - he's a capable two way player (with one GLARING weakness). As long as he's not a lineup regular (barring injuries), I don't mind him on the roster.

BTW, I wouldn't include ZAR on that list. He's a quality defensive F, and Sullivan hasn't ever used him as anything but a bottom 6 grinder.

DonnieBrasco

Post by DonnieBrasco » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 pm

We'll disagree, because it seemed like Sully's answer the entire NYI playoff loss was Rust-Sid- Jake and then BART. The other lines (which weren't fantastic either outside of Carter) saw diminished roles.

I'm just glad Tanev is gone because hopefully that'll end the "MORE BART" experience.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:21 pm

I see where DB is coming from about the pets. It isn't Craig Adams bad.
To me Simone is that guy you try and replace each season but he isn't terrible if you have to play him cause the youngsters aren't ready or injuries.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:34 pm

That sums up the Dominik Simon experience perfectly.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:46 pm

The ZAR arbitration drama lasted all of 10 minutes. The Pens have a total of $120k in Cap space, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're done with signings. We shall see what happens with any future trades, but for now, the lines look something like this:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker - Malkin - Kapanen
McGinn/Heinen - Carter - Rodrigues
ZAR - Blueger - McGinn/Heinen

Dumoulin - Letang
Marino - Pettersson
Matheson - Friedman(?)

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:25 pm

HBD Sid

Beau Bennett dropped some history on in-feuding amongst some Pens players just the other day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic