Villanueva

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Minkah'n Big Plays

Villanueva

Post by Minkah'n Big Plays » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:20 pm

He was AWFUL last night, many Ravens fans are not happy and I love it.

Well, he was a turd last year, as well.

What did they see in him?

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:51 pm

And he's a grumpus.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:54 am

Villy sucks at this point in his career and Ravens fans are just figuring it out.

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/s ... REALLY-bad

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:35 am

So funny they think he’s a mole.....lolz
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

franco32

Post by franco32 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Villy was great for a few years, but he really lost it quickly. Any wonder why Ben and the run game struggled so much last year? Toss in Chuks, a banged up Decastro and Pouncey on his last legs. It's a miracle we were 11-0.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm

franco32 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:21 pm
Villy was great for a few years, but he really lost it quickly. Any wonder why Ben and the run game struggled so much last year? Toss in Chuks, a banged up Decastro and Pouncey on his last legs. It's a miracle we were 11-0.
He was a lot older when he was named the starter too because of his military service and position change right? He solidified the spot when they needed it desperately as Colbert's one weak spot has been drafting good tackles. I loved rooting for an under dog veteran. Hope he eventually has a great retirement and glad he's stealing money from the Ravens. I'm sure he understands that we have to root against him while he's there.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:49 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm
franco32 wrote:
He was a lot older when he was named the starter too because of his military service and position change right? He solidified the spot when they needed it desperately as Colbert's one weak spot has been drafting good tackles. I loved rooting for an under dog veteran. Hope he eventually has a great retirement and glad he's stealing money from the Ravens. I'm sure he understands that we have to root against him while he's there.
Yep and yep. As a huge man, I'm sure those military grunt years played hell on his lower half, too. It's understandable why he's slow and breaking down fast. It's not like he sat the bench for five years, put little to no tread on those tires, and then became a starter like a normal, albeit rare, NFL late bloomer. Dudes body has seen plenty of live fire, no doubt. Love the player and man. Glad he's still playing, even happier it's for the Ravens, and he's costing them good money for poor results -- a win-win in my book.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:50 pm

RemoAZ wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm
franco32 wrote:
Way more than one weak spot....lol
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

blu

Post by blu » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:55 pm

I like him as a military veteran & his past good years. But I was very glad to see him go & even happier to see the despised Ratbirds sign him. Villanueva got paid again & Baltimore got stuck with some mediocrity on their o-line.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:35 pm

Let's remember as well that Villy added nearly 100 lbs after leaving the service to play LT.

Also, i'm calling BS on the claim that Colbert can't find a tackle. In 22 seasons, Colbert has not used a single 1st rounder on a T. He has taken a tackle in the 2nd round on 3 occasions: Marvel Smith, Marcus Gilbert, and Mike Adams. Two of those picks ended up being pretty damn good. Max Starks and Kelvin Beachum developed into quality starters. Yes, there were several mid and late round misses, but that applies to literally every other NFL team.

Corner is a completely different story, however.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:35 pm
Let's remember as well that Villy added nearly 100 lbs after leaving the service to play LT.

Also, i'm calling BS on the claim that Colbert can't find a tackle. In 22 seasons, Colbert has not used a single 1st rounder on a T. He has taken a tackle in the 2nd round on 3 occasions: Marvel Smith, Marcus Gilbert, and Mike Adams. Two of those picks ended up being pretty damn good. Max Starks and Kelvin Beachum developed into quality starters. Yes, there were several mid and late round misses, but that applies to literally every other NFL team.

Corner is a completely different story, however.
Agree Pabst. KC hasn't even really had too many chances to draft high enough to get a shot at top 3 LT coming out.

Also agree, corner remains a mystery.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Colbert not drafting good tackles? I don't know if I believe that.

Sure, Colbert has not drafted a Hall of Fame LT or RT but he also hasn't had the opportunity to do so easily drafting 23rd overall in the 1st round since 2000.

Marvel Smith
Max Starks
Willie Colon
Marcus Gilbert
Kelvin Beachum

Those are 5 NFL caliber starters at tackle, 2 drafted in the 2nd round, one in the 3rd round, one in the 4th round and a late 7th rounder. Smith made a Pro Bowl, Gilbert played at a high level, Starks and Beachum were above average, Colon was serviceable.

...and maybe Dan Moore will turn out to be fine player, he was a 4th rounder.

I have to think it is very, very easy to draft a Tyrion Smith if you have the 9th overall pick, that it is easy to draft a Joe Thomas if you have the 3rd overall pick, a Trent Williams if you have the 4th overall.

Colbert never has had that luxury, look at Dan Moore in this past draft. 15 tackles were off the board when the Steelers finally took Dan Moore. But he looks to have a fine future ahead of him and I think many of those 15 tackles taken before him will be busts. A GM worth a damn is able to find those gems past the first and second rounds.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Sure, Colbert has not drafted a Hall of Fame LT or RT but he also hasn't had the opportunity to do so easily drafting 23rd overall in the 1st round since 2000.

Marvel Smith
Max Starks
Willie Colon
Marcus Gilbert
Kelvin Beachum

Those are 5 NFL caliber starters at tackle, 2 drafted in the 2nd round, one in the 3rd round, one in the 4th round and a late 7th rounder. Smith made a Pro Bowl, Gilbert played at a high level, Starks and Beachum were above average, Colon was serviceable.

I have to think it is very, very easy to draft a Tyrion Smith if you have the 9th overall pick, that it is easy to draft a Joe Thomas if you have the 3rd overall pick, a Trent Williams if you have the 4th overall.

Colbert never has had that luxury, look at Dan Moore in this past draft. 15 tackles were off the board when the Steelers finally took Dan Moore. But he looks to have a fine future ahead of him and I think many of those 15 tackles taken before him will be busts. A GM worth a damn is able to find those gems past the first and second rounds.
^ Agree 100%. And it's why I'm not ready to anoint the Browns just yet. Building a quality team when you have a slew of premium draft picks and cap space is the easy part. Maintaining it is the hard part.

StillMadAtSlobber

Post by StillMadAtSlobber » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:54 am
Villy sucks at this point in his career and Ravens fans are just figuring it out.

Thanks, I needed the laughs.
Mike Tomlin: Bringing mediocrity to the 'Burgh for over a decade.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Scunge wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Marvel Smith
Max Starks
Willie Colon
Marcus Gilbert
Kelvin Beachum

Smith was solid. I think the rest of those guys were serviceable at best. Guys they had to keep around because they never had high end talent at the position or over-rated and paid them too much. Gilbert had one decent year, got paid and disappeared as expected. They paid Starks a shit ton of money because they simply couldn't draft/sign anyone decent enough to replace him. Never liked Colon. Completely over-rated and over paid. Beachum is the definition of JAG.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Smashmouth21 wrote:

In his defense, you can’t practice being a tackle for Ben and then go to the complete opposite with LaMar and an offense geared wholly for rushing, essentially, without some growing pains. I watched him a couple times and it seemed at times he blocked well, but the next thing LaMar is right there where he just blocked the guy too. Villy must feel like John Carter and that alien dog on Mars…everywhere he blocked his guy the water skipper in LaMar was there.

I will give Villy a another game or two before I pronounce him dead. Learning curve for blocking for Lamar’s pocket is probably steeper than a pure passer.

Maybe LaMar might have to adapt some too, might help him get some more sophistication in the offense as Steve Young was screaming. Maybe Villy ends up being some blessing in disguise to force LaMar into more pocket discipline. Money is on he is washed up and LaMar will still run like a demon until his ACL goes.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:18 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:52 pm
Smashmouth21 wrote:

In his defense, you can’t practice being a tackle for Ben and then go to the complete opposite with LaMar and an offense geared wholly for rushing, essentially, without some growing pains. I watched him a couple times and it seemed at times he blocked well, but the next thing LaMar is right there where he just blocked the guy too. Villy must feel like John Carter and that alien dog on Mars…everywhere he blocked his guy the water skipper in LaMar was there.

I will give Villy a another game or two before I pronounce him dead. Learning curve for blocking for Lamar’s pocket is probably steeper than a pure passer.

Maybe LaMar might have to adapt some too, might help him get some more sophistication in the offense as Steve Young was screaming. Maybe Villy ends up being some blessing in disguise to force LaMar into more pocket discipline. Money is on he is washed up and LaMar will still run like a demon until his ACL goes.
I admit I didn't watch the entire game, but more often than not I saw him get trucked or beat with speed around the edge. Once Jackson senses pressure, his first instinct is to run/ look for a way out instead of sensing the flow of the O line. Sometimes he runs right into his blockers or defenders. Jackson's got terrible pocket presence.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 pm

There were plenty of reports that Villy didn't look good in camp. Monday night's performance didn't come out of nowhere.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:58 pm

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 pm
Smashmouth21 wrote:

Thanks, I needed the laughs.
Steelers should kick the tires on Hulk Hogan…. :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Villa+nueva means "new town" and I am glad at this point in his career he found one to get on with his decline
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

blu

Post by blu » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:40 pm

I have to admit having a wide grin when reading that Baltimore had signed Villanueva. It's a good thing that Jackson is so mobile as the LT's best days are long gone as we have watched over & over again.
Last edited by blu on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 pm

I'll always remember the pass to him on the fake punt. Glorious playcall if you will...

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:32 pm

AV moved to the left this week due to an injury to Staley. The Ravens are a mess.

Post by 955876 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Don’t they play the Chiefs this week?

Nice is they start 0-2
Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm

jewelsongs wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:32 pm
AV moved to the left this week due to an injury to Staley. The Ravens are a mess.
That would be their All Pro Stanley, not Staley. Staley is the Ravens new 46 year old running back. :lol:

Sorry couldn’t resist with all their injuries in the backfield.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Jumping in to say Lamar Jackson is 0-3 in his career vs Kansas City with a 78 QB rating. And Baltimore didn't have the rash of injuries to the o-line and RB corps in those games. Should be interesting.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm
Jumping in to say Lamar Jackson is 0-3 in his career vs Kansas City with a 78 QB rating. And Baltimore didn't have the rash of injuries to the o-line and RB corps in those games. Should be interesting.
Interesting or schadenfreude?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm
Pabst wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm
Interesting or schadenfreude?
I was being coy because i didn't want to jinx anything 8-)

I will say though, KC looked terrible vs the run last week

shellwagnerblount

Post by shellwagnerblount » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:53 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm
jewelsongs wrote:
That would be their All Pro Stanley, not Staley. Staley is the Ravens new 46 year old running back. :lol:

Did he bring his sweats?? Yes, I couldn't resist either..lol

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 am

shellwagnerblount wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:53 am
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm
jewelsongs wrote:

Did he bring his sweats?? Yes, I couldn't resist either..lol
I really have to watch spellcheck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic