You Miserable Fucks!!

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
swissvale72

You Miserable Fucks!!

Post by swissvale72 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:35 am

Just went back, read the game thread.

Dafuq is wrong with you asshats???

Not so long ago, this team was literally painful to watch. Last week though? Today?

All this bitching about Tomlin throughout the 2nd half, all the bitching about the offense.

There was exactly ONE unproductive possession all day, a single three and out. Other than that, this team possessed and moved the fuckin' football:
*16 plays, 47 yards, 4 first downs
*12 plays, 58 yards, 4 first downs
*4 plays, 75 yards, 1 first down
*9 plays, 45 yards, 3 first downs
*14 plays, 75 yards, 5 five first downs
*9 plays, 35 yards, 3 first downs

The final drive cited was the only one where Steelers did not put points on the board, but exhausted almost the entire clock.

Personally, I had a great time watching these last two games.

Fuckin' malcontents, fuckin' bedwetters on this esteemed website. You know who you are!!

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:39 am

Great post.

This team is fun to watch and I'm having a blast!!

Pickett is one tough motherfucker.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 am

Winning is fun. The team is a lot easier to watch than a few weeks ago. That said...the run defense was making me sick there for a while. We need at least TWO beefy dlineman in the draft. Adams and Alualu were getting caved in...Wormley too. Heyward on his last legs.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 am

They used the middle of the field. I posted that in the GDT I was so surprised they kept doing it. Let me say that again. THEY USED THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD. When was the last time that happened more than the end of the game in the no huddle? I don't know why. Did Canada grab the wrong playbook before he left the house to get on the plane? Did Tomlin give someone else the play calling duties? Who knows but they actually ran a better selection of plays for sure in the first half. Now they only had a few drives in the second half but you could see that desire to run the clock out I would bet came from Tomin. The WR runs to the little guy were bad but hell, I'll take some baby steps after the shit we've had the last few years. Let's hope it continues next week.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:54 am

It’s been like that since the bye. Real passing plays. Middle of field. Etc. It looks real at this point.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:08 am

- Kenny appears to not be consistently accurate beyond about 20 yards

- He avoids attempting long throws to open receivers in favor of shorter throws

If those 2 things continue to hold it would seem unlikely the Steelers will be able to compete at the top in a QB an offense driven league

The excruciating part about that is it will likely only present itself in a few games a year and in the post season. Which seems to embolden the view of some that what we are seeing is good for the most part and not merely beating up on weak teams only to ultimately fail repeatedly over and over and over and over again.
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Texas Black & Gold

Post by Texas Black & Gold » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:13 am

Great win today. Lots of positive things to build on. Hope next Sunday at Heinze Field is as loud as today was.
Hope the WRs get their heads on straight.
It will be a slug fest on Sunday.
Secure NHALS early and then go deep into the PLAYOFFS. :D :D :D

Dshiner

Post by Dshiner » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:18 am

Najee Harris has 74 touches, 355 yards, 3 TD in last 3.5 games.

He sucks. Shut him down for the season. Better yet. Cut him

StillerDownSouth

Post by StillerDownSouth » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 am

Dshiner wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:18 am

Naj is getting stronger as the season goes on, I'm sure playing with a steel plate in his shoe the first 6 games had some sort of impact on his abilities. Dude is a tough fucker for sure, and runs hard.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:54 am

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 am
Dshiner wrote:

Naj is getting stronger as the season goes on, I'm sure playing with a steel plate in his shoe the first 6 games had some sort of impact on his abilities. Dude is a tough fucker for sure, and runs hard.
They still need to get out of the “feature back” mindset. It’s dumb and doesn’t always lead to success.

They’ve been better the last 3-4 weeks with that but man, they really botched that at the beginning of this season. We probably could have won two more games if our running attack wasn’t so dreadful the first few weeks.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:06 am

Yet what happens every season?

Dshiner

Post by Dshiner » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 am

Najee was not effective the first 8 games. These things happen when you have a steel plate in your shoe and arr getting excess work.

Benny Snell--model 2022-- is a revelation. Warren reminds me of Darren Sproles.

Let's go!

StillerDownSouth

Post by StillerDownSouth » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:11 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:54 am
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 am
Dshiner wrote:

They still need to get out of the “feature back” mindset. It’s dumb and doesn’t always lead to success.

They’ve been better the last 3-4 weeks with that but man, they really botched that at the beginning of this season. We probably could have won two more games if our running attack wasn’t so dreadful the first few weeks.
Agree with this 1000%. Really like what Warren brings to the table and Snell has also looked good last couple games, nothing helps a young QB more than a good running game. Naj went 17 for 86 today, a healthy 5.1 yards per tote, had the defense been able to get off the field in the second half he prob breaks 100 easy, but I would like to see them keep him around the 18-22 carries a game, let Warren and Snell get 10-15 touches.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:49 am

Najee has looked better the last few weeks for sure. Probably the best he's ever looked as a pro. I mean, he's a 24-year-old second year RB. He should be in the absolute prime of his career and should be having the best season of his career. Which this may well be.

But if you're asking me if I could have another guy for just one game or just this season, all things including health being equal, I'd take the following over him:

Barkley
Henry
Taylor
Chubb
Cook
McCaffrey
Jacobs
Jones
Sanders
Elliott
Pollard
Stevenson
Swift
Mixon
Jamaal Williams
Herbert
Montgomery
Walker
Ekeler
Dobbins
Hunt
Kamara
Patterson
Gibson
Etienne

Then arguably guys like Conner, Javante Williams, Pierce, James Robinson, AJ Dillon, Damien Harris, Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, Rachaad White, Gus Edwards, and Breece Hall.

He's probably a top 30 RB.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

Dshiner

Post by Dshiner » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:09 am

In his last two games Derrick Henry has 20 carries for 68 yards. Forgive me if I'm skeptical of lists based on highlight reels.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:11 pm

Steelers still have the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide complex. One half of football was actual NFL quality football. The second, not so much.

They need consistency through 4QTR's. Consistently good or at least competitive.

And FYI, the steelers put up 30 against the bengals the second time around. The mahomes lead chiefs got 24 and struggled a bit on offense. The bengals are arguably one of the top three best teams in the NFL right now. Steelers should have won the jets and pats games, at least.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:31 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:11 pm
Steelers still have the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide complex. One half of football was actual NFL quality football. The second, not so much.

They need consistency through 4QTR's. Consistently good or at least competitive.

And FYI, the steelers put up 30 against the bengals the second time around. The mahomes lead chiefs got 24 and struggled a bit on offense. The bengals are arguably one of the top three best teams in the NFL right now. Steelers should have won the jets and pats games, at least.
Yeah, well, let's look at what the Colts did vs the Cowboys

I think the team is what it is over the course of a season. They generally end up with the record they deserve. This one is headed for somewhere just a notch below mediocrity. If you were hoping for a come-to-jesus offseason with coaching changes and philosophical changes we pretty much all agree are needed, it's going to be a disappointing couple of years.

It's hard to foresee to next year but it does feel like the defense is older on the front 3, injuries for its star player might be on the upswing, half of the defense is of questionable talent. Since they need OL help, it's hard to imagine them being better on defense next year. If Canada (& Tomlin stay), even with the best-case scenario for Pickett & Najee & co, they seem to be on trajectory for somewhere near .500.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:08 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:31 pm

I think the team is what it is over the course of a season. They generally end up with the record they deserve. This one is headed for somewhere just a notch below mediocrity. If you were hoping for a come-to-jesus offseason with coaching changes and philosophical changes we pretty much all agree are needed, it's going to be a disappointing couple of years.

It's hard to foresee to next year but it does feel like the defense is older on the front 3, injuries for its star player might be on the upswing, half of the defense is of questionable talent. Since they need OL help, it's hard to imagine them being better on defense next year. If Canada (& Tomlin stay), even with the best-case scenario for Pickett & Najee & co, they seem to be on trajectory for somewhere near .500.
They are in a position where the rebuild is still going on but a change in coaching could make a big difference there. But yeah, not happening for a few years.

I think the best place to really get better is on the DL. Heyward is in decline but still can be counted on for another year, maybe two. Alualu is done. Adams and Wormley need to go. Loudermilk, something is off about the player. He flashes then he is quiet. I was hoping to see him progress in year two. Hopefully Leal is starting material. Ogunjobi is a quality run stuffer but his pass rush has been disappointing.
I think the Steelers need to add at least two draft choices in the DL next year, one being with a premium pick. Maybe two.

Corner upgrade is needed as is ILB.
That is a lot to ask to rebuild in one year.

Then again this should be a defensive draft since the last two featured 5 of 6 premium picks on the offensive end. And I wouldn't mind that.

The interior OL is getting it done much better in the run game this year compared to last year. Not great but they are opening holes. Pass Pro is another story. I think the staff can live with Moore at LT or they would have most likely moved Chuks over there.
I don't agree, Moore should be replaced but it doesn't matter what we think, it is Mikey's call.

WR is a big need. A quality tackle would be great.

I really hope they go defense next year in the draft but it all depends on where they are picking in the first. Getting a top 35-38 pick for Claypool might be the best thing this franchise has done in a long while.

Jizz Mop

Post by Jizz Mop » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:30 am

Yes, if the player selected w the Bears 2nd turns into an integral part of the team.

Having the pick is great, but a swing and a miss with it would be devastating.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:34 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:31 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:11 pm

Yeah, they looked awful VS the Cowboys.

Beat the Chiefs holding Mahomes to 17 points and barely lost to Hurts. Held him to 17 points too.

The Colts defense is gassed because of piss poor offensive (especially QB) play.

Our defense was headed in the same direction until Kenny started sustaining drives on a consistent basis and that’s what’s starting to happen.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:49 am

@Jizz Mop

Give them credit for getting another premium swing. And yes, it is a very important pick. Then again they could have held onto Claypool and let him walk in FA and gotten a miserable 4th or 5th round comp pick if they were lucky.
It also gives them ammo to move up if they decide they can get a difference maker at the top of the draft.

StillerDownSouth

Post by StillerDownSouth » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:52 am

In all fairness the Colts attempted a 2pt conversion to tie the game at 21 last night with 3 minutes left in 3rd qtr, then decided to play the worst 4th quarter in maybe nfl history. Trust me, I had dem Boyz in 2 survivor pools with a lot of cash on the line and I was awfully nervous heading into the 4th quarter, was looking like the Colts were primed to pull the upset.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:23 pm

@fractalsteel
Loudermilk, something is off about the player. He flashes then he is quiet.
I have a theory: I think Loudermilk is not a good enough athlete. He wins with great technique and instincts but it's hard to do that consistently vs superior athletes who also play well.

So, he's sorta matchup dependent.

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:48 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:23 pm
@fractalsteel
I have a theory: I think Loudermilk is not a good enough athlete. He wins with great technique and instincts but it's hard to do that consistently vs superior athletes who also play well.

Leal and Loudermilk are 2 people that I thought would get significant PT this year and be prepared next year to solidify this aging Dline. I feel they'll need to address that in FA/Draft (again)

langer

Post by langer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:07 pm

"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:59 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:23 pm
@fractalsteel

That is fair and probably to the point. Makes him a situational kind of player. Remember he didn't get a hat until Leal went down. They improve the position next year(draft/multiple/FA) he could be right back on the bench.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:25 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:35 am
Just went back, read the game thread.

Dafuq is wrong with you asshats???

Not so long ago, this team was literally painful to watch. Last week though? Today?

All this bitching about Tomlin throughout the 2nd half, all the bitching about the offense.

There was exactly ONE unproductive possession all day, a single three and out. Other than that, this team possessed and moved the fuckin' football:
*16 plays, 47 yards, 4 first downs
*12 plays, 58 yards, 4 first downs
*4 plays, 75 yards, 1 first down
*9 plays, 45 yards, 3 first downs
*14 plays, 75 yards, 5 five first downs
*9 plays, 35 yards, 3 first downs

The final drive cited was the only one where Steelers did not put points on the board, but exhausted almost the entire clock.

Personally, I had a great time watching these last two games.

Fuckin' malcontents, fuckin' bedwetters on this esteemed website. You know who you are!!
Best post I've read on here. Love seeing some good football for a change, and I don't give a shit if it's 1970's, 1990's, or whatever era you want to say, just that it puts W's up on the scoreboard. Let's GO! Ratbirds are next, baby!

Kodiak.

Post by Kodiak. » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:05 pm

langer wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:07 pm
The tears of Bears beat writers...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/202 ... p-up-right
Hey, for what it's worth Claypool caught 5 passes on 6 targets.....for 28 yards :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weighty downs...the lifeblood of ball possession

langer

Post by langer » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:21 pm

Chase is due for a breakout game.

Or permanently blown out of the lig in two more games.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:50 pm

I keep coming back to this thread.

I see it as: everybody who was saying "the Steelers are never going to win the Super Bowl again as long as Mike Tomlin is coach" or "Matt Canada has to go" now is willfully ignoring the fact that this team approaching mediocrity vs a stretch run littered with mediocre teams is saving Matt Canada's job, endorsing everything Mike Tomlin believes in in terms of strategy, and is delaying even the faintest thought of trying to do something new or innovative (read: modern/normal for the NFL circa) for another year and another year. Setting aside whether Kenny Pickett has the ceiling of superior QB, just another year of same old/we do what we do and another year and before you know it, this core of leaders is gone or old.

If there was ever a year to try some new stuff, take some risks, stretch the boundaries to try and get better, to see what changes would be improvements... this is it. Instead, we're playing attrition football against shitty QBs and winning close games that mean nothing because we're not even challenging our QB to see what he's got-- we're training him to be risk-averse so he can be allowed to lead an attrition offense.

If I were the Steelers coach in 2022, I'd be going for it on every 4th down, opening up the playbook for Kenny-- generally taking some educated risks. They're not sacrificing some sure-fire Super Bowl chance by taking risks, and the potential upsides are many.

There's no upside in beating Atlanta with Marcus Mariota at QB. None.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic