Top WR's All Time

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
Donnie Brasco
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

Top WR's All Time

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:11 pm

The AB topic had me thinking where he ranks all time assuming he never plays another down.

I'd put him in the Top 10- 15

1. Rice

Then some variation of:
Moss
Megatron
Harrison
Carter
Fitzgerald
Hutson
TO
AB
Bruce
Bilitnekoff



User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm

There are a few other guys that need to be in the conversation:
Steve Largent
Steve Smith
Andre Johnson
Tim Brown
James Lofton


When looking at aggregate career numbers, AB is still quite a bit behind Anquan Boldin and Hines Ward.

Brown's numbers are also very comparable to Julio Jones. Does he make this list?

All that being said, it's really hard to make a true comparison of receivers between eras. It's not a coincidence that the vast majority of receivers on this list played within the last 20 years.

LakecrestSteeler
Posts: 3382
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 pm

Well if you had all the data, it would be easy. The stats of all these guys are obviously linked with home prices.

Just adjust for home price inflation and you’d have your list.

Joking aside, although the home price theory is probably not that far off, there is probably some inflationary number you could apply across all eras to get a pretty decent list if you had the data.

There probably need to be about 3 or 4 step changes in this inflationary number to compare between and among the eras.

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 pm
Well if you had all the data, it would be easy. The stats of all these guys are obviously linked with home prices.

Just adjust for home price inflation and you’d have your list.

Joking aside, although the home price theory is probably not that far off, there is probably some inflationary number you could apply across all eras to get a pretty decent list if you had the data.

There probably need to be about 3 or 4 step changes in this inflationary number to compare between and among the eras.
In hockey they have "era adjusted stats", which is basically this concept.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/about/ ... stats.html

Donnie Brasco
Posts: 5489
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm
There are a few other guys that need to be in the conversation:
Steve Largent
Steve Smith
Andre Johnson
Tim Brown
James Lofton


When looking at aggregate career numbers, AB is still quite a bit behind Anquan Boldin and Hines Ward.

Brown's numbers are also very comparable to Julio Jones. Does he make this list?

All that being said, it's really hard to make a true comparison of receivers between eras. It's not a coincidence that the vast majority of receivers on this list played within the last 20 years.
Fair point. I mean back in the day it was almost impossible to throw the ball successfully. Which is what makes Rice's #'s so extraordinary.

User avatar
Pabst
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm
Fair point. I mean back in the day it was almost impossible to throw the ball successfully. Which is what makes Rice's #'s so extraordinary.
Oh, for sure. He was a HOF level talent to begin with, but he also benefited from the recently implemented Mel Blount rule, Bill Walsh, and Joe Montana.

He is the epitome of right player, right team, at the right time.

User avatar
BethlehemSteel
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 pm
Location: IGZF'S

Post by BethlehemSteel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Ab can fucking pound sand in my book

His antics have invalidated his worth to the Steelers and the nfl

It was all for nothing, no championships and a measly few playoff wins

Ward > Ab
"There's going to be some joyful lifting for us if you will in terms of some of the tasks we have to do." - Mike Tomlin
Image

Steelperch
Posts: 3575
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:25 am

Post by Steelperch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:08 pm

AB is the 3rd best I ever saw after Rice and Moss. Julio is up there too. Both better than Calvin Johnson.

Jobu
Posts: 9583
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

Post by Jobu » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:08 pm
AB is the 3rd best I ever saw after Rice and Moss. Julio is up there too. Both better than Calvin Johnson.
Top three for sure. Personally, I’d put him at #2.

User avatar
K_C_
Posts: 15281
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Contact:

Post by K_C_ » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:47 pm

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 pm
Ab can fucking pound sand in my book

His antics have invalidated his worth to the Steelers and the nfl

It was all for nothing, no championships and a measly few playoff wins

Ward > Ab
RIGHT ON THE FUCKING MONEY.

VeritasSteel
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Post by VeritasSteel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 am

There should be a stupidity clause for the HOF.

If AB just plays above the line for the next 5 years he’s a shoo in for the HOF. He has too many individual records and game changing moments that he outpaces Green, Johnson, and even Jones. AB led the league in catches and yards over those guys and most times TDS during their primes. And all of them have horrible playoff performances even Jones.

I hate that this guy could keep it together and realize what he had. He’s not getting a legitimate second chance because he doesn’t understand humility and an understanding that he is only as good as the guy throwing to him and the o line blocking for the guy throwing to him. He had as close to the perfect fit in Pittsburgh and he thought he was better than that

Stosh-67
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Post by Stosh-67 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 pm

VeritasSteel wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 am
There should be a stupidity clause for the HOF.

If AB just plays above the line for the next 5 years he’s a shoo in for the HOF. He has too many individual records and game changing moments that he outpaces Green, Johnson, and even Jones. AB led the league in catches and yards over those guys and most times TDS during their primes. And all of them have horrible playoff performances even Jones.

I hate that this guy could keep it together and realize what he had. He’s not getting a legitimate second chance because he doesn’t understand humility and an understanding that he is only as good as the guy throwing to him and the o line blocking for the guy throwing to him. He had as close to the perfect fit in Pittsburgh and he thought he was better than that
Spot on.
Imagine where he would be if he just stayed sound of mind and played out another 3-5 solid years with Ben and Co.
5 years with averages of 90-95 catches per and 1250-1300 per year would have him 2nd behind Rice in both career stats.

Kodiak
Posts: 15389
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Post by Kodiak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm

I'm not sure about too many of the old timers.

I start with Rice + the freaks (Megatron, Moss, TO, Julio Jones, Fitzgerald and Andre Johnston)

Then I'd probably have Stallworth, Hutson, Tim Brown and several others, probably including AB


So, to me, AB is not top-5....maybe top 10, but top 15 for sure. And, yes, it's about championships so Hines Ward > AB (not because he's a better receiver, but because he's a better football player and leader).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

anpsteel
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Post by anpsteel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:35 pm

As noted the Mel Blount rule made a huge impact after the 78 season, but todays game is so far removed from the version that existed then or into the early 2000s

The defenseless receiver rule, the various rules regarding hitting the QB, but maybe the biggest impact is the gloves.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic