Pick 3b.98 Payton Wilson LB NC State

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
jebrick

Re: Pick 3b.98 Payton Wilson LB NC State

Post by jebrick » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 pm

3rd+ round is good place to draft very good athletes/football players with some risk

“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm

jebrick wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 pm
3rd+ round is good place to draft very good athletes/football players with some risk
This year's Darnold Washington-type pick.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm

Payton Wilson:

2023 Butkus Award winner (nation's top linebacker).
2023 Bednarik Award winner (nation's top defensive player).
2023 ACC Defensive Player of the Year.
A unanimous, consensus first-team All-American. He was honored by the following: AP, AFCA, FWAA, Walter Camp and the Sporting News, along with CBS Sports, USA Today, Sports Illustrated, The Athletic, PFF, College Football Network, Bleacher Report.

One of the most decorated defensive players I can remember seeing come out of college.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm
jebrick wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 pm
This year's Darnold Washington-type pick.
His potential blows Washington out of the water.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm

Wilson hit 23mph on this play……

Removing his ACL gave him another gear apparently…..

Did they finally get their “Shazier”?

https://twitter.com/NFL_DF/status/1784057578755850556

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:46 pm

chippedhamsandwich wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm
Wilson hit 23mph on this play……

Removing his ACL gave him another gear apparently…..

Did they finally get their “Shazier”?

https://twitter.com/NFL_DF/status/1784057578755850556
I saw an interview with Wilson, prior to being drafted, immediately, his demeanor while speaking reminded me of TJ Watt. Straight to the point, no nonsense, quiet confidence dude.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 pm

There may be 97 football players who have better careers from the ’24 NFL Draft, but there were not 97 football players better than Payton Wilson in the ’24 NFL Draft.

Steelers have a lottery ticket with a few of the winning numbers already entered. Pittsburgh with an excellent choice at pick 3.98.

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 pm

Steel Bingo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 pm
There may be 97 football players who have better careers from the ’24 NFL Draft, but there were not 97 football players better than Payton Wilson in the ’24 NFL Draft.

Steelers have a lottery ticket with a few of the winning numbers already entered. Pittsburgh with an excellent choice at pick 3.98.
I think Wilson will be worked into the LBer rotation early.

Who knows Holcomb's availability at this point and I will assume, Wilson will show more in camp, than Mark Robinson ever has.

Should Wilson remain relatively healthy. I think we have an excellent off ball LBer.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 pm
Steel Bingo wrote:

Who knows Holcomb's availability at this point and I will assume, Wilson will show more in camp, than Mark Robinson ever has.

Should Wilson remain relatively healthy. I think we have an excellent off ball LBer.
I could see Wilson putting in reps on ST’s as well.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm
Stillchest wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 pm
Steel Bingo wrote:

I could see Wilson putting in reps on ST’s as well.
Yep, no doubt. Hopefully, he stays healthy. ST's can be taxing on the body.

TTP

Post by TTP » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:24 am

Peyton Wilson reminds me a bit of Chad Brown.

If healthy, he's going to be a great player.

Good pick, well worth the gamble.
"A sedan is usually functional. This offense looks more like a broken down 80’s chevette being driven by 85 year old Chinese woman."

-SteelPro

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:39 pm

I've watched a lot of film on Payton. His straight line speed is tremendous. He's also got a high motor and is really smart. Where he struggles is a) change of direction on a dime and b) if a big guard locks on to him. His core strength is an issue. To be fair most LBs struggle when a guard locks on.

I think he will have a tough time vs the run in the NFL unless the Dline in front of him keep him very clean.

Where I think he can excel a ton in this league is on 3rd down. He's athletic enough to drop in zone and provide solid coverage and he's a great blitzer when you want to mix things up.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 pm

franco32 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:39 pm
I've watched a lot of film on Payton. His straight line speed is tremendous. He's also got a high motor and is really smart. Where he struggles is a) change of direction on a dime and b) if a big guard locks on to him. His core strength is an issue. To be fair most LBs struggle when a guard locks on.

I think he will have a tough time vs the run in the NFL unless the Dline in front of him keep him very clean.

Where I think he can excel a ton in this league is on 3rd down. He's athletic enough to drop in zone and provide solid coverage and he's a great blitzer when you want to mix things up.
I think a lot of success of these young players hinge on whether they take their strength and conditioning to the next level (and staying healthy of course). Once they have access to NFL coaching in all aspects like strength and conditioning along with technique, nutrition, etc, they have the opportunity to max their ability. He seems to have the drive to get their like just about all of the picks this year, at least from first impression. The thing I'm most interested in watching this season is how they develop. Hopefully we have the coaching to help them.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:47 pm

I seem to recall this WR we drafted in the third round out of Georgia who didn’t have an ACL. If I recall, he had a halfway decent career…might’ve even won a Super Bowl or two.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:49 pm

franco32 wrote:

I would love to see him in a rotation his first year. Comes in as part of pass packages.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:16 pm

Just wanted to point out this is the player we got with the trade for Kenny Pickett. Would rather have a LB with no ACL than a QB with no heart or balls. Great trade!

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:43 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:16 pm
Just wanted to point out this is the player we got with the trade for Kenny Pickett. Would rather have a LB with no ACL than a QB with no heart or balls. Great trade!
Preach
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:48 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:16 pm
KP, in his short Steeler stint, mastered falling into the fetal position at the first hint of pressure. Great swing for the fence pick with Wilson. Got rid of the malcontent and maybe added a piece to the defense.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am

Steelers Depot 7⃣
@Steelersdepot
·
40m
Feature piece on Payton Wilson #Steelers #NFL
https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/statu ... 8939937057
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:43 pm

franco32 wrote:

Unfortunately, with the Patrick Queen signing, Payton will likely be off the field on 3rd downs and in dime.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:47 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:49 pm
franco32 wrote:

I would love to see him in a rotation his first year. Comes in as part of pass packages.
I agree that's one way to use him where he could be effective... but he'll be off the field on 3rd downs, unless they're not giving Queen the green dot. Maybe in goal line, where they often use an extra LB.

On par with the Steelers' seeming desire to play everyone out of position, the best case for Wilson would be that he wins the Buck job over Elandon Roberts,,, but he's really a Mack. To me, Queen is a Buck who's been miscast as a Mack. Probably the best defense would keep Queen off the field on 3rd downs... but with coaching's love of the player and the money involved, Queen will play three downs and Payton probably only a wave player/STer for the foreseeable future.

Mick

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:47 pm
zeke5123 wrote:
franco32 wrote:

I agree that's one way to use him where he could be effective... but he'll be off the field on 3rd downs, unless they're not giving Queen the green dot. Maybe in goal line, where they often use an extra LB.

On par with the Steelers' seeming desire to play everyone out of position, the best case for Wilson would be that he wins the Buck job over Elandon Roberts,,, but he's really a Mack. To me, Queen is a Buck who's been miscast as a Mack. Probably the best defense would keep Queen off the field on 3rd downs... but with coaching's love of the player and the money involved, Queen will play three downs and Payton probably only a wave player/STer for the foreseeable future.
not sure why you think payton would come off the field for passing situations? To get Elandon Roberts coverage ability on the field?

I predict Queen/Roberts 1st/2nd down,

Queen/Wilson 3rd down/passing situations,

Queen with green dot.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:50 pm

Mick wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:47 pm
zeke5123 wrote:

not sure why you think payton would come off the field for passing situations? To get Elandon Roberts coverage ability on the field?

I predict Queen/Roberts 1st/2nd down,

Queen/Wilson 3rd down/passing situations,

Queen with green dot.
Because they play dime a hell of a lot. In dime there's only one LB, and that'll be Patrick Queen, unless his leg falls off.

When they play nickel (more on 1st and 2nd downs), Payton is gonna have the beat out Elandon Roberts at a position where Roberts is more suited to the task at hand. Perhaps vs teams that throw it a lot vs nickel he will be on the field. But in dime? No way.

Steelers love Buck types like Queen at Mack. At Buck, they love old-school downhill only guys with instincts like Roberts.

Wilson is more Queen's backup.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:06 pm

Follow up... the breakdown of Steelers formation usage last year:
Pittsburgh's defense was in its base package with four defensive backs on the field for 35.5% of its snaps, the highest percentage in the league. The Steelers were in their dime personnel with six defensive backs for 23.2% of their snaps, the second-highest percentage (in the NFL). Therefore, the Steelers were 31st in their usage of nickel with five defensive backs, using it just 35.9% of the snaps.
I'm sure we'll see some Wilson in Nickel, but on 3rd down and beyond running range, they'll likely play dime, with only one LB on the field... likely Queen.

I would guess Payton Wilson's niche for defensive snaps if he gets many will be 3rd and less than 4, where Steelers decide to play nickel. But if it's 3rd and long vs any team other than maybe the Ravens (heavy TE scheme and the constant need to spy the QB), they'll be in dime.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:25 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:06 pm
Pittsburgh's defense was in its base package with four defensive backs on the field for 35.5% of its snaps, the highest percentage in the league. The Steelers were in their dime personnel with six defensive backs for 23.2% of their snaps, the second-highest percentage (in the NFL). Therefore, the Steelers were 31st in their usage of nickel with five defensive backs, using it just 35.9% of the snaps.
I'm sure we'll see some Wilson in Nickel, but on 3rd down and beyond running range, they'll likely play dime, with only one LB on the field... likely Queen.

I would guess Payton Wilson's niche for defensive snaps if he gets many will be 3rd and less than 4, where Steelers decide to play nickel. But if it's 3rd and long vs any team other than maybe the Ravens (heavy TE scheme and the constant need to spy the QB), they'll be in dime.
How many of those dime snaps saw multiple SS on the field at the same time? (Genuinely asking, I don't know). If they roll out Wilson in lieu of Keanu Neal, that's not much of a change.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:57 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:25 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

How many of those dime snaps saw multiple SS on the field at the same time? (Genuinely asking, I don't know). If they roll out Wilson in lieu of Keanu Neal, that's not much of a change.
Well, they had good coverage LBs last year for the first time in a while, yet they hit their all-time high in dime usage. They could play more nickel but the trend in the NFL is to more and more dime on pure passing downs.

Personally, I'd dig playing Wilson as the dime backer... he fits that role. So, to be clear, I'm not talking about what the player can do but what it is likely they will do with the player.

And to answer your question, I think they played more traditional dime with 4 CBs + 2 Safeties + 1 LB + 4-man front or added Kazee instead of Neal.

Mick

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:07 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:

that’s somewhat misleading. Early on in the season, when we had holcomb and kwon, we didn’t run much dime (or at least, we kept 2 LBs on the field almost all the time). Once they went down, we started jumping to dime package right away in passing situations.

This season, if Queen and Wilson end up on IR, we might go right back to being a dime happy team, but in that scenario I believe Wilson being on IR will be the main thing that keeps his snapcount down, not so much our dime usage.

When we actually had NFL LBs last year, we generally had Holcomb out there and had Roberts in on early downs and brought Kwon for 3rds and passing situations. I’d expect that to be the plan early this year, with Queen as the new Holcomb, Roberts as Roberts, and Wilson as Kwon.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 pm

Could be. I’d rather have a healthy Holcomb + Roberts + Wilson but we’re gonna find out.

Does anyone feel like this defense will be better than the one that got blown out by SF in week 1 last year? I see incremental improvements and more JPJ but there are still some gaps even from getting to the level they were last year. The org seemed pretty complacent about their D, other than replacing their stud LB who may not recover well enough to be available.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:31 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 pm
Could be. I’d rather have a healthy Holcomb + Roberts + Wilson but we’re gonna find out.

Does anyone feel like this defense will be better than the one that got blown out by SF in week 1 last year? I see incremental improvements and more JPJ but there are still some gaps even from getting to the level they were last year. The org seemed pretty complacent about their D, other than replacing their stud LB who may not recover well enough to be available.
The defense may be better than last season's version, but the issue with the blow out loss to SF, had a lot to do with the scheme. Same as the blow out loss to Hou.

Is there a personnel issue in the secondary? yep

Will it be better this year?? Probably. Well at least better than the Levi Wallace Patrick Peterson version that was torched in both of those games.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Thu May 02, 2024 7:33 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 pm

One of the ways the D improves is an offense that isn't 3 and out so routinely.

Heyward not soaking in the ice tub will help but given his age not something to assume. Benton should improve, as should JPJ and Herbig in rotation. Herbig quietly got better as the season went on. Also it would be tough for Jackson to be worse than Peterson or Wallace. Jackson is nothing special but he was a decent player for Panthers.

Lastly addition of Elliot. He is a solid starter that rarely makes major brainfarts. He mostly does his job with occasional splash play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic