Steelers 2024 draft

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
SteelerDayTrader

Steelers 2024 draft

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 pm

Tomlin and the Steelers obviously had a plan going into the 2024 draft.

- The Steelers made a concerted effort to avoid low football character players. Every player drafted has gotten high marks consistently as a teammate and high motor type. This dye was cast prior to the draft when they unloaded DJ and Kenny Touchdown

- Ive said repeatedly the way you win championships in this era is by building great tandems and great units that can mismatch opponents. The Steelers went all in on the offensive line. They got great OT and OG prospects and and OC with some football flaws but high character as a teammate.

- The Steelers also looked to strengthen the ILB unit with the somewhat surprising addition of Peyton Wilson. Although not focused on by many observers as a need the fact is with ILB position you probably need to be 2 deep with very solid players at both ILB spots. They already surprised many adding Queen in the offseason to man the downhill ILB spot with Roberts and Holcomb can return to form the Steelers potentially have a 3rd mismatch unit along with the OLBs and the OL

Is that enough in 2024 and beyond NFL ?

Probably not without better skill position performance than what we expect.

However. I’m VERY glad the Steelers avoided trying split the difference and try to fill many needs in one draft. I’d much rather focus on really hammering the hell out of a few areas and wind up with something powerful in a few areas rather than getting spread too thin across many/all areas

You cannot rebuild in one draft

RB remains a huge need
DL remains a huge need
NCB remains a huge need

Several other units are in tenuous wait and hope mode

Hopefully we have another great draft next year

My early thought on this draft is I like it

5 likely starters and 2 hopefully passable backups

Good draft

Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Almighty Slacker.

Post by Almighty Slacker. » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

Good post. I normally struggle with some of your analysis and hyperbole, but I think you were very fair. I know your not a Frazier fan, but i appreciate your comments on him here. I do think Frazier gets pushed back a bit farther then he should when anchoring, hopefully thats something that they can work on with his technique.

I agree with you on loading up on a few areas, and turning an area of weakness or mediocrity into a potential strength. I also applaud them for sticking with high character players, several of whom are already married and won't be partying at the clubs...

Thanks for the analysis. I really like this draft as well as last years. Can't wait until training camp when we can see some of the potential on the field in the steeler system.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic